PDA

View Full Version : Green Mountain Pellet Poopers

BobBrisket
06-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Came across a CL ad that I never thought I'd see around here:

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/app/1814740557.html

Found the company site:

http://www.greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills.html

Anyone have any experience with this brand? Never heard of it myself. I'm waiting to hear back from the local distributor form here. I'm curious to see how much more or less he or she sells em for.

Lastly, are the pellets pretty much universal? Or is it recommended you use the pellets made by the grill manufacturer?

Thanks.

Bob

deguerre
06-28-2010, 12:03 PM
This kinda made me think:
"Available options include a stainless steel no-warp lid, form-fitted grill cover, and a dome thermometer."

Do the regular lids have a problem with warping?

Ron_L
06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Several guys here have them. I looked at them before getting the Memphis Pro. They are well built and cook very evenly.

Yes, pellets are universal. As long as you have food grade pellets (not heating pellets because of the glue that is used as a binder and the non-food grade lubricants used in the manufacturing process), they will all work. BBQer's Delight are probably the best available.

Ron_L
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
There is a pretty thorough review along with test results done by Bentley here...

http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=2156.0

BBQ Grail
06-28-2010, 12:52 PM
PM Oakpit he's a dealer.

I saw them for the first time last week in his store. I was impressed by a couple of things and not so impressed with the fact they are painted and not powder coated.

Matt N.
06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
The review by Bentley on pelletheads is what convinced me to buy my Daniel Boone. For this price point, the GMG grills offer the most options and they hold there temps really well. I love mine. The only other thing I had used was my Bradley electric smoker so my opinion may not count for much. I will say this, I liked the amount of smoke flavor I was getting from my Bradley more than what I get from my Daniel Boone. I have only used the gmg pellets though, so switching to some 100% flavor wood pellets might help with that. I ordered some 100% hickory from cookinpellets.com and got them in a few days ago but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I also ordered some hickory smoke stix from BBQr's Delight. They are just a giant wood pellet that you bust chunks off from, set it in a pan, put a plumbers torch to it until it really starts to go, and then just let it sit in the pan on top of the grill grates while your meat is cooking. I have used the smoke stix once and loved the results. They added that stronger smoke flavor I was missing. Sorry for rambling. I will end by saying this, my Daniel Boone has cooked everything perfectly. I love the temp control, I love that it doesn't have huge temp swings, my only gripe was lack of smoke flavor in the meat. I've never had anything off from a stick burner, but from what I understand, if thats the flavor you are used to, you may be disappointed with what comes off a pellet grill.

landarc
06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I have seen them at a couple of locations, they look nice, the lid designs appear the same whether stainless or not. The stainless is nice and shiny. I watched on working while in Redding last weekend and it seemed to hold temperature nicely.

OakPit
06-28-2010, 01:36 PM
We sell them, and I've cooked on them a-lot recently. I have a been a Traeger Dealer for years, but liked the value of the GMG.

GMG Pros:

Taller cooking chamber than Traeger
Higher temps than Traeger (500* vs 400*)
Heavier duty construction
Digital controller is standard
Fold up side shelf
Lighting sequence is automatic and very relaiable
Fan system & fire pot are more efficient than Traeger
Cheaper than Traeger
SS Grill grates - 2 piece for easy cleaning and removal

GMG Cons:

Painted Black - not powder coated
Funky pellet hopper lid hinge system
Two sizes only
One "flavor of pellets" Gold Blend (However, any pellet can be used)

So far, I have really enjoyed the GMG and favor it over the Traeger.

**Whiskey Bent BBQ in Florida competes with them and get great results.

BobBrisket
06-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Tim,

By "funky pellet hopper lid hinge system." How bad of a con is that? Does it make for more hang ups or serious performance issues?

Thanks.

Bob