PDA

View Full Version : anyone got a BBQ sauce recipe??

Jd Swiper
06-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, got a pork butt to bring to a b-day party but I'm looking for a good BBQ sauce to make...Any ideas...I used plowboys yard bird and Kosmos pork injection...

Phrasty
06-27-2010, 02:32 PM
If you just want a quick thing and have an idea what you want... eg. sweet, tomato based, vinegar based, fruity... do a google recipe search and look for sauce recipes and make sure they have what your looking for in your sauce... That way you get what you want as well as if your feeling up to it you can always modify it and make it yours...

Hope that helps
Cheers

mmmmeat
06-27-2010, 04:40 PM
one can of coke, little olive oil some molasses one small can of tomato paste some brown sugar, some applecider vinegar, some celery seed some cumin pepper salt and i like chipotle powder, put it all in a pot and boil it for hour or so

thats my recipe that i made up last weekend for my MOINKS and it worked very well, and tasted great!!!

thunderwagn
06-27-2010, 05:01 PM
I know its not really bbq sauce, but the Roxy's Mustard Sauce is fantastic and simple with pork.
But I like this one even more:
32 oz. cheap ketchup. 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar. 1 cup sugar. 1 stick of margarine. i cup of lemon juice. 2 Tsp. black pepper. 2 Tbsp.crushed red pepper (red pepper flakes)
Cooking Instructions: Put in a pot and bring to a boil. Keeps for weeks(months even) in the fridge. Good stuff You can find it in the recipe section Pulled Pork Sauce.
I finely chop sweet onions (preferably Vidalia of course!) and toss them in as well. Its very basic, but really compliments the pork.
Both are cheap and simple. I made triple batches and put in Mason jars.

Mister Bob
06-27-2010, 05:25 PM
You might want to try this one JD Swiper. It's hot, sweet and savory, all at the same time.
It takes a little effort, but IMHO it's worth it. It took fifth place last year in the NJ State Championship in N. Wildwood. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 small shallot minced
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 red bell pepper very fine diced
1-1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup apple juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup cherry preserves

DIRECTIONS
Heat vegetable oil on low in a medium sauce pan until it just begins to shimmer. Add shallots, garlic and bell pepper and cook until tender (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently. Add all but the last three ingredients and bring to a low boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, honey and preserves. Mix with a plunge blender until sauce is silky smooth. Can be used immediately or stored for up to one month in the refrigerator.

Makes about 1 quart

Mike in Abita
06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Here's one I found.

Root Beer Barbecue Sauce
Makes about 3 cups:
1 (2-liter) bottle Barqs root beer
1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup yellow mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Tabasco
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
In a large saucepan, reduce root beer to 1 cup over medium heat (takes about 1 hour).
Add vinegar, ketchup, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Simmer 20 minutes.
Finish with butter to give the sauce extra body and flavor.
Note: this sauce is improved by time in the refrigerator or freeze.

Icetech
06-27-2010, 06:29 PM
I use the sauce recipe from jeffs smoking-meat site, i dont think he would like me handing it out though, but its by far the best sauce i have had.. didnt like the rub so much.. loved the sauce:)

Jd Swiper
06-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Excellent, thanks a million guys...

Arkantex
06-28-2010, 02:31 PM
That rootbeer sauce sounds interresting... I think I am going to have to give it a try this weekend.