PDA

View Full Version : First non "bone in" boston butt

shdybrady
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I usually cook the fullsize boston butt with bone in. But I have a buddy who wants for me to cook a few things for him a few friends at his house. So I have to haul my cheapo brinkman over there and smoke. So I dont have the time to cook a full size butt. I dont want to cook prior to going because he wants me to show him the ropes. So I was going to get one of the smaller buts so its done quicker. My local butcher recommended still smoking for 10-12 hours. So its "falls apart", But wouldnt you go just until it reaches around the 200 internal temperature? It just makes since smaller mass=less time to cook.

MilitantSquatter
06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
you're right.. you're butcher may know how to carve meat, but his advice may have holes in it.

Cook it until it's done and can be probed without resistance.. It may be at/near 200 degrees and/or it may be 10-12 or none of the above depending on how hot your cooking or how you're pit handles.

shdybrady
06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I have always cook the butt until it reached 190 then I start to do the toothpick test. Same as the probe test. So pretty much you are saying go by that and Ill be good to go?