PDA

View Full Version : Cooking steak on a pellet pooper help

bandityo
06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Going to do steaks tomorrow on my cs680 pellet pooper...Ive read to heat it up hight like 500 to sear the steak..however, I want some smoke flavor in the meat as well..

What have you guys done to make steak succeed on a pellet smoker?

Thanks in advance,

David

BBQ Grail
06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Going to do steaks tomorrow on my cs680 pellet pooper...Ive read to heat it up hight like 500 to sear the steak..however, I want some smoke flavor in the meat as well..

Thanks in advance,

David

I love my Traeger but haver got a dear I really like. So if I'm going to go pellet for smoke I'm afraid I'd still crank up the kettle or RED infrared for the dear at the end.

Ron_L
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Try a reverse sear. Set the CS at 180 and let it heat up then put the steaks on until they are 110 or so internal. Then put them on a plate and cover with foil and crank the CS to high. Once it is all hot and bothered then sear the outside of the steaks and bring them to your desired internal temp..

bandityo
06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
thanks I will try it !

umyaya
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
For the best results, smoke for around 20m at 180-200. While it is smoking, have a cast iron pan getting nice and hot on your stove. After 20m, take the steaks off and sear on the cast iron for around 3m per side. Have your grill heating up to 400 while you sear. After you have the crust the way you want, transfer back to the grill to finish until you hit 135 internal. Let it rest and enjoy.

I like to use a combination of Johnny's Seasoning Salt and Montreal seasoning pre-cook. I add a little fleur del sel salt once it's done.

qnbiker
06-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks in advance,

DavidSteaks are for grilling! High heat all the way.

umyaya
06-23-2010, 07:21 PM
qnbiker,

If you’re on this site, I know you like smoke. Give it a try. The only reason for high heat on a steak is to produce the Maillard reaction. It can be done after smoking the steak by cranking the grill up after smoking or searing in a cast iron pan. I think you’ll like it.

BruceKWHP
06-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Sear that sucker, before or after the "pooper" and it will taste steak-ier!

I like to do it over the coals for a few minutes a side.... a hot skillet will also do the trick.

I saw the "poopers" at Costco in the south bay yesterday... factory team was there with pellets and demo video.....

NewEnglandQ
06-23-2010, 08:24 PM
I sear mine on the Egg at 650 for a few minutes a side, then I put on the traeger to finish. They come out delicious...

Ron_L
06-23-2010, 09:41 PM
I sear mine on the Egg at 650 for a few minutes a side, then I put on the traeger to finish. They come out delicious...

If you're going to take the time to fire up the Egg, why not just finish it there?

pne123
06-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I sear after. It closes the cells that absorb the flavor. smoke first to rear then sear on super hot lid open 3-4 min a side (all depending on thickness) Searing is good if you are going to cook all the way on high heat but when you are smoking you do not have to worry about moisture boiling/sizzling away cuz you are smoking below water's boiling point.

bandityo
06-24-2010, 07:13 AM
I ended up putting the steaks and some burgers on at about 200 on smoke for half and hour then took them off and cranked the CS to 500. Only took a few minutes...threw them all back on sizzlin and the kids say the burgers were the best they ever had...very very moist... Steaks were very very moist also..

Turned out better than I expected..thanks for all the tips

David

kickassbbq
06-24-2010, 07:13 AM
I like my Traeger, but a Steak cooked on it SUCKS!!!!!!
I want my Steaks grilled and the Traeger ain't no grill.

FretBender
06-24-2010, 08:39 AM
The only steaks/burgers I've been able to cook on my Green Mountian Grill that were acceptable were cooked at 500 on Grill Grates. I've finished them off on the gasser after 45 min on the GMG at 180 and they took a nice flavor, but when cooked on the kettle with some lump and a foil pouch of pellets they are the best. If I did allot of steaks/burgers and wanted the low/slow abilities of a pellet grill I'd go with one that has the "grilling" section, like the MAK.