PDA

View Full Version : brisket and ribs

mjancel
06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
is it ok to cook them together in the same horizontal off set smoker? what temp and how long? do ribs turn out better laying flat or in a rib rack?

Southern Home Boy
06-22-2010, 02:11 PM
It will be interesting to see the responses here. I have definitely cooked them in the same cooker at about 250*. Just for different lengths of time. Brisket usually about 10-12 hours, ribs 5-6 hours.

I also like to lay my ribs flat. I don't know that they cook any better, but I feel like they do and they're easier to baste that way.

Boshizzle
06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
It will be interesting to see the responses here. I have definitely cooked them in the same cooker at about 250*. Just for different lengths of time. Brisket usually about 10-12 hours, ribs 5-6 hours.

I also like to lay my ribs flat. I don't know that they cook any better, but I feel like they do and they're easier to baste that way.

+1 - I've done it too. As noted, the brisket will take longer, but there is no reason why you can't cook them all at the same time.

lcbateman3
06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I've cooked, ribs, brisket, chicken, and pork all in the same cooker....just get your timing right, adjust for temp variations as you add/subtract meat and you should be good to go!

Phubar
06-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Cute looking pit!

Alan in Ga
06-22-2010, 04:01 PM
I cook multiple meats all the time. Like the others said just watch your timing

CBQ
06-22-2010, 08:15 PM
I cook in comps with chicken, ribs, pork and beef at the same time. I put the big meats further from the fire, and they go in first.

I keep the ribs flat because I foil them after they get smoke on 'em, and it's hard to foil in a rib rack.

markdtn
06-23-2010, 07:11 AM
I've cooked, ribs, brisket, chicken, and pork all in the same cooker....just get your timing right, adjust for temp variations as you add/subtract meat and you should be good to go!

Me too. That's the way I always do it.

Lake Dogs
06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
What they said above. I also use a rib rack from time to time. IF you use one,
make sure you leave an empty/black space between the ribs. For example, if your
rib rack has 5 slots, it's for 3 racks of ribs. Leave a slot open. You need the heat
to circulate freely/evenly. Otherwise, and I've had this happen a few times, the
center of the ribs in the center will not be done when the outside is done.