PDA

View Full Version : Grassfed Brisket

THATGUY
06-21-2010, 08:23 PM
So I am new to the forum and I just recently got my first smoker (it was an early father's day gift). This is was my first attempt at brisket with a smoker, as opposed to trying to smoke on my gas grill. It was a 5lb grassfed brisket, I had a rub on it for about 48 hours and I smoked it for 5 hours, it hit 160 then I foiled it and let it sit for 2 more hours, then I pulled it and let it rest in the cooler for several hours. All in all I was pretty happy with it, but it was a little dry. I have an ECB and used a full water pan, I also cooked it fat side down. Am I correct in thinking this might be an inherit risk using grass fed beef due to the lower fat content? Thanks and thanks again for all I have learned already. I am also including a photo of the beef loin I did, it was my first item in my new smoker!

boogiesnap
06-21-2010, 08:38 PM
it looks like a brisket flat from the pic. i never had real success with that cut. always a dry cuz its too small and not enough fat. try a whole packer(much larger @ 9-14#'s), next time, it has the girth to keep itself moist. will take much longer though, unless you go high heat!

boogiesnap
06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
the beef loin sure looks good, though!

cowgirl
06-21-2010, 11:12 PM
It looks tasty! Yes grass fed has less marbling...

Bigfoot21075
06-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Try pulling it around 195 next time for the brisket, you will have a more tender and moist piece of meat!

thunderwagn
06-22-2010, 06:48 AM
That loin does look pretty tasty!

CaptainJimmy
06-22-2010, 06:52 AM
you cooked the brisket to medium... you need to cook it to 195+. Cooking it longer will make the meat MORE moist not less.

landarc
06-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I suspect that Captain Jimmy is correct. It seems you may have not gotten it to the 195F-200f range. Flats are tirckier and if it was grass-fed and grass-finished, you are dealing with a very lean cut, even if the collagen renders, you still have a lower fat content. I use grass fed and finished for many things, but, brisket, I like some grain finishing for fat.