PDA

View Full Version : Gas Grill Repairs

Bill-Chicago
07-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Anyone ever need to replace a regulator on a gas grill, or do I have to trash the whole farking thing.

Damn thing went out on me last night.

Jorge
07-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, depending on model. Still have an owners manual with part #'s? Or check Home Depot. Think I've seen them in there as well. Should be standard, but I'd hate to be responsible you you getting blown up like Sgt. Hulka.

Mark
07-13-2004, 08:57 AM
you can splice-in a replacement regulator or buy the whole hose/fittings/regulator assembly

Mark
07-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Never mind Jorge; missing a few digits would just increase the macho charm.

Jorge
07-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Just wait for the next tornado to do it, you should be able to fit that in between washing the car and yard work.

Bill-Chicago
07-13-2004, 09:03 AM
I got the dual model that goes to the side car burner.

Its a Kenmore, so I'll check the HD/Sears mod

Thanks. I wasnt sure if they sold this stuff

parrothead
07-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Grill broken? I would just move so you don't have to deal with it.

Bill-Chicago
07-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Grill broken? I would just move so you don't have to deal with it.

I only do that if the mailbox breaks.

Jorge
07-13-2004, 09:11 AM
http://www3.sears.com/ If you don't have the schematic with part #s. Just get the model # off the grill and you should be able to pull up the info you need. I also have a deal around here somewhere that should be good for 10% off your order. I'll dig around for it.

brdbbq
07-13-2004, 09:14 AM
I only do that if the mailbox breaks.

Did it twice in 6 weeks.

Jorge
07-13-2004, 09:18 AM
Hmmmm, just put a bigass grill guard on the front of the better half's truck and need to test it......Still got your packing tape and boxes handy? :twisted:

Bill-Chicago
07-13-2004, 09:33 AM
http://www3.sears.com/ If you don't have the schematic with part #s. Just get the model # off the grill and you should be able to pull up the info you need. I also have a deal around here somewhere that should be good for 10% off your order. I'll dig around for it.

Thanks for the link Jorge. I went there, but didnt see this part of the site.

I'll dig it up tonight

BigAl
07-13-2004, 09:50 AM
Anyone ever need to replace a regulator on a gas grill, or do I have to trash the whole farking thing.

Damn thing went out on me last night.

Best way to fix gas grills is to put 'em in the trash. :P

:idea: Second best is to convert them to a wood/charcoal unit :!:

chad
07-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Lowe's and HD both have generic regulators in the grill parts section. If you have a basic single/double or "H" burner one of these generics will work fine.

kcquer
07-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Go with a turkey fryer variable regulator :shock: . Get that 1200* steak searing heat! :twisted:

BBQchef33
07-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Go with a turkey fryer variable regulator :shock: . Get that 1200* steak searing heat! :twisted:

I dunno if your goofin or not.. but i did this... Put the fryer requlator on the grill the original broke in the middle of a cook. Worked so well I left it there.. had flames comin up thru the lava rock... a month later my burner was shot... made great steaks though.
:o

The generics at HD are mostly made my charbroil... they work fine, thats what I have on the re not.. Just make sure you get the write combination of fitttins on them, especially if u have a sidecar. Some have the T pbuilt into the hose, and others have a har T on the grill and require eiter 2 hoses, or just a single hose on the regulator.

kcquer
07-13-2004, 12:14 PM
I dunno if your goofin or not.. but i did this... Put the fryer requlator on the grill the original broke in the middle of a cook. Worked so well I left it there.. had flames comin up thru the lava rock... a month later my burner was shot... made great steaks though.

I was mostly goofin' but my new stainless gasser doesn't get as hot as my old kenmore. With the old cheapie 60 seconds on each side twice and you had a perfectly seared steak that just needed 10 mins or so indirect heat for a perfect med rare. The new one just doesn't get hot enough to sear steaks like that. I've considered the adjustable regulator as a mod. Should probably have the one that's on it tested to see if its working correctly before I try the mod.

Bill-Chicago
07-13-2004, 12:18 PM
What model is your stainless KC, so Phil won't get me the wrong one for Christmas :)

kcquer
07-13-2004, 12:26 PM
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/popup_product_image.jsp?title=Regal+Stainless+Stee l+BBQ+Grill+-+LP+Gas&image=0084026700014_L4.jpg

I like it for everything but steaks.

Jorge
07-13-2004, 12:35 PM
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/popup_product_image.jsp?title=Regal+Stainless+Stee l+BBQ+Grill+-+LP+Gas&image=0084026700014_L4.jpg

I like it for everything but steaks.

Been drooling over it for months! Just not ready to give up the other perks to get it!

kcquer
07-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Been drooling over it for months! Just not ready to give up the other perks to get it!

Worth the price just for the rotisserie chicken it makes. We got lucky, OL's employer picked up most of the tab for a tool she designed and I made.

Mark
07-13-2004, 01:54 PM

Wouldn't it screw up the steak when the aluminum lid melts on top of it?

DarkRubiTJ
07-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Two questions:

What brand of grill are you trying to get a regulator for?

Does the regulator have a manifold for the side burner of does it just "T" for the burner?

Most of the parts we carry at HD are generic Charbroil and as such it's tough to rebuild anything else from our parts. Usually nothing but a Looser Charbroil needs parts anyway. Next time buy a Weber gasser, they live a long time and you can get the stuff you need to fix 'em.

If you are lucky, and the side burner is on a manifold you can buy a generic regulator and splice your manifold in using hose clamps.

Bill-Chicago
07-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Two questions:

What brand of grill are you trying to get a regulator for?

Does the regulator have a manifold for the side burner of does it just "T" for the burner?

Most of the parts we carry at HD are generic Charbroil and as such it's tough to rebuild anything else from our parts. Usually nothing but a Looser Charbroil needs parts anyway. Next time buy a Weber gasser, they live a long time and you can get the stuff you need to fix 'em.

If you are lucky, and the side burner is on a manifold you can buy a generic regulator and splice your manifold in using hose clamps.

I'll check DarkR.

And I didnt buy the Kenmore (or Ken, as he's called)

House warming gift.

In fact, the only grill I ever bought (for myself) was a Weber Smokey Joe. The rest have all been gifts :P

So you hear that Phil, make sure my Christmas gift is a Weber per DR's advice

Bill-Chicago
07-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Dark, I just trashed my Ken, cut the hoses and used a farking steel cutting blade on my jigsaw to cut the clamp

I went to Home depot, and saw the Charbroil replacement has hose ends that come to a threaded bolt type connector.

When I finally got the hose clamp off, it wasnt no farking threaded dealie like the Charbroil replacement part will connect to. Dark, or anyone, have any tips on how to fix this farker?

Attached is a picture of the valve ending. Also, I am clueless of what a sidecar manifold is?

Let me add that the current regulator is a WC Bradley/Charbroil regulator. I checked some of the other gas grills at HD today (not alot, cuz I had chinese food for lunch and nearly **** myself) and found that WC Bradley/Charbroil makes the regulators for ALOT of brands. Didnt check Webers though, since I had a liquid turtle looking out my ass.

But in TK's honor, even though I nearly crapped myself, I still pulled into Portillo's for a beef sandwich. A Home Depot with a Portillos in the parking lot. TK, don;t got to Cali. Come here!!!!!

chad
07-17-2004, 05:36 PM
cut the threaded thing off slide the hose onto your manifold and clamp it!

Jorge
07-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Lazy farker. I told you where to order parts for Ken. I just got off my ass and found your X-mas card. My folks have the same model and I'll have my Dad look in the owners manual for the part # you need, find the 800 number for you, and even send it to you. Once again, a Texan to the rescue.

Bill-Chicago
07-17-2004, 07:45 PM
LMAO Jorge

Model #?

Well, its my first gas grill, so lets go with Model #1

How the fark do I know. That was 6 years ago.

Save the manual mod wasn't invented yet

Jorge
07-17-2004, 08:43 PM
LMAO Jorge

Model #?

Well, its my first gas grill, so lets go with Model #1

How the fark do I know. That was 6 years ago.

Save the manual mod wasn't invented yet

Uhm how about we split the difference Mod. I was/am operating under the Samuel Adams Mod. I didn't have to call the folks since we drove down last night! <hic.o0O> PM inbound with all of the info you need to order your parts. Dad, who is sober looked at your family and confirmed it was the same model.