PDA

View Full Version : Smoking fish (Bluegills) question

fsmith
06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm gonna surprise my Dad when he gets back from vacation by smoking up a bunch of nice bluegills he caught.

I've smoked trout years ago on my old smokey mountain grill but can't remember for the life of me how long and at what temp I used.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing some pork butt tonite and plan on soing the bluegills on Sunday. I'm going to soak them in a simple brine I've used before for the trout.

thanks,
fred

RobKC
06-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Smoked bluegill sounds good, but I prefer a nice crispy fried bluegill sandwich.

BBQ Bandit
06-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Smoked bluegill sounds good, but I prefer a nice crispy fried bluegill sandwich.

Grew up eating bluegills... egg-dipped, rolled in italian breadcrumbs pan-fried... better than chicken nuggets!

northof8
06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Bluegill is best scaled and deepfired with the skin on. If you are intent on trying to smoke them, I think you will need to use cheese cloth and some type of spray with olive oil in it. I just think since they are not an oily fish they may dry out on you. I'd suggest testing one out first so you don't use them up if they are better suited fried. I have never tried smoking them so take it for what its worth, not a whole lot.:-P

Alan in Ga
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I say fry them suckers up

TN_BBQ
06-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't think they'd take too much time.

I know that's not a lot of help, but I could see how a person could smoke em in under an hour at "normal" temp or cold smoke em for a few hours. Lot just depends on whether you feel like cold smokin em.

expatpig
06-18-2010, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't smoke them, they have such a fine delicate flavor, it might be like eating smoked cotton. I've found that fatty or oily fishes like salmon and trout lend themselves better to smoking. I tried smoking walleye once, it really didn't work out. It was pretty dry... and smoky.

gtsum
06-18-2010, 06:27 PM
i would not smoke them at all...gills are far different then trout (which I would assume you smoked whole???). 'Gills are made to be fried up imo

milehigh
06-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Hope you guys talked him out of it.

Paul

Brian in So Cal
06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Yum, Bluegills

Kevin
06-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't smoke them, they have such a fine delicate flavor, it might be like eating smoked cotton. I've found that fatty or oily fishes like salmon and trout lend themselves better to smoking. I tried smoking walleye once, it really didn't work out. It was pretty dry... and smoky.

I smoked crappies (I think they are called Rock Bass elsewhere) and they did not turn out well. Pretty dry. Now Northerns on the other hand, MMM good.

jestridge
06-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Somewhere in the bible it states fish should always be fried.

River Lizard
06-19-2010, 09:50 PM
crappies (I think they are called Rock Bass elsewhere).

Kevin,

Two separate species Crappie and Rock Bass. When I use to fish Round Lake up by Otter Tail Lake, I use to catch some nice Rock Bass by this small bridge.

Hoss
06-19-2010, 10:43 PM
PLEEEEZEEE.Fry them!!!!

baldbill
06-20-2010, 09:06 AM
FRY THEM!!!!!!! don't waste good bluegill!!! Bluegill is not an oily fish, it is not a thick fillet either, I would think they would dry out fairly quickly. However, you wouldn't be where we are today without pioneers, if you must... smoke them and give us a report back on the results.:-D

fsmith
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
I caved in to peer pressure and pulled out the deep fryer. I've been eating them for 45 years and know you can't beat fried bluegills, I just thought I'd try something different. Thanks for bringing me back. Oh and they were really good...

I did about 16 lbs of pork shoulder so I was still able to smoke *something* this weekend...

blues brother
06-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I smoked some blue gills 25 years ago. Salt and pepper brine overnight. I don't remember how long they were on the smoker. They were real salty but very good with a beer.

wildflower
06-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Somewhere in the bible it states fish should always be fried. :doh:

Is that only on Friday nights just before Easter :confused:

FRY THEM PLEASE :bow:

jestridge
06-21-2010, 07:09 PM
ThankGod you came to your senses