PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Dakota....

mrkkti
07-10-2004, 02:09 PM
New to this whole BBQ thing, for years, ribs have been my passion, so I've decided I want to do them myself, when I want 'em!

Trying to find a smoker/grill was not an easy task. Menards (kinda like a Home Depot or Lowes) was the only place I could find one (until yesterday, when Wally World got some New Braunfields horizontals, don't remember the model but it was about $165.00). Any way, I got a Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe (set me back $180 on sale). Thursday I did the curing thing, and now I'm waiting for my next weekend off to try something...anything!

Found this site, been reading a lot of posts and am looking forward to learning something from all of you! Seems like a lot of resident experts here---just what I was looking for :)

I'm married, have two boys (9 1/2 and 2 1/2), and will be hitting the big 4-oh in a few short months!

Any advice for my first effort? What meat to do; use wood, briquets, or a combo; do I need to use the water pan. Am I thinking about all this too hard? I don't think I was this nervous/excited since I got married 17 years ago 8)

Oh, yea, I do home brew too (most recent brew was a batch of mead)!

Solidkick
07-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Welcome My New Brother! Home brew huh? Good for you!
No need to be nervous, relax and learn, that's what we are here for.
It's called the learning curve, if you turn out great Q the first time out, youv'e done better than 75% of us here.

I'll let the other brothers answer your questions. We have some Smoke King Deluxe experts here.

Again, Welcome!

The_Kapn
07-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Oh, yea, I do home brew too (most recent brew was a batch of mead)!
Welcome, Double Welcome, and Triple Welcome to a brewmeister!
Great bunch of folks here. Lot of experts and a bunch of new guys like me hang around.
Chicken peices, Boston Butts, and Ribs are forgiving for a first cook.
Read up on the 3-2-1 method for ribs and you won't go wrong.
Of course, some brave souls jump in with $50 worth of Brisket. Just gotta have cahones for that!
Ask your questions, offer your answers and ENJOY!
TIM

chad
07-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Howdy! Glad to meet ya!

Hurry up and cook something or winter will show up!! :D

Bill-Chicago
07-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Welcome brother

KCquer, and now a few others, have the same cooker.

They've done the mods and such.

Chicken is fogiving for a first cook, but jump right in with the ribs too.

As you can see from the posts in Q talk, temperature, not time, is your guide.

And throw a Jimmy Dean/ Bob Evans type sausage log on there while your at it. 3 hours at 220* Awesome way to enjoy your first Q

Trout_man22
07-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Welcome,

Your SKD is a fine piece of equipment, I own both a SKD and a Bandera, just minor differences. Take you time and ask questions of these fine people. We all have made mistakes and I for one will continue to make them. Ribs would my first choice, easy to do and you’ll have a point of reference to judge for your self.

Jim

kcquer
07-10-2004, 04:21 PM
NoDak, I'll drive up there and cook for ya if that mead is any good! If ribs are a favorite, I'd start with them. You don't get good at ribs cookin' chicken.
Read up on the 3-2-1 method for ribs and you won't go wrong.

Brother Tim has you pointed in the right direction. Welcome Brother!

mrkkti
07-11-2004, 08:35 AM
@ kcquer: Won't know on the mead for a while yet, I don't even sample it till it's a year old (got about 7 months to go yet :cry: )

BBQchef33
07-11-2004, 09:20 AM
MrK...

SKD is just a backwards bandera, so anything ya cook, just put it in backwards and you'll be fine. My 2 cents worth of advice for your first times out..

Wha?? t to cook.. pork butts and chickens..... Most forgiving cuts. whole chickens 2-4 hours(depends on size) AND PORK Buttss 1:15 Per LB.

theres a load of info here on what fuels to use and varying opinions. Just use a search witrh few different search strings. Using briquettes, lump or all wood will be a personal preference that will come with time. IMO, All wood is your goal, but he use of briquettes with wood chunks for flavor will give you less of a challenge keeping consistant temps unitl you master fire managment. As you figure out the use of the dampers and fuels, you'll use less and less until your using all wood. I use briquettes, and a couple logs for the initial firing to establish a coal bed and then its all wood from there.

Bandera and SKD takes best to splits, about 6-7 inchs longs, no more than 3 inchs wide. Gives you a cleaner burn and ignites easier.

WELCOME!!!! Go grab the bandera 101 document from the homepage... so helpfull stuff in there.

parrothead
07-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Welcome. Go with some chicken for your first cook, or the ever popular turkey drumsticks.

mrkkti
07-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Ahhhh, turkey drumsticks, now there's an idea. Thanks!

The_Kapn
07-11-2004, 01:51 PM
MrK,
Maybe it's just me, but I made several loads of "Turkey Jerky" with my first attempts at Drummies. Dry and tough. :twisted:
Last load, I did them 3-2-1, just like Ribbies.
Done just right with smoke and flavor to the bone! And moist- OH YEAH :lol:
Pics somewhere around the Forum- I'm just too lazy to chase them down right now.
That's my technique from now on.
Good luck with yours, anyway you do them. They are great!
TIM

midnight
07-12-2004, 04:15 PM
welcome aboard from a fellow Dakotan but of the southern veriety. Where you at in ND?

Bigmista
07-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Welcome Mrk!

And thank you for proving that people actually live in North Dakota and that it's not just there to keep Canada from falling thru! :lol:

Self Amusement Mod.

You've stumbled onto a great bunch of guys and when you keep them sober long enough, they're actually pretty smart (actually some get smarter as they get drunker!)

Ask lots of questions and keep a sense of humor and you will have a ball here!

Welcome again!

mista

P.S. I say start with a Boston Butt! You'd have to burn it to a crisp to ruin it! Just take your time and cook it slow....

brdbbq
07-13-2004, 07:31 AM
Welcome to the group, I would try a brisket first time out. Thben again I'm known to play in traffic as well.

mrkkti
07-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the group, I would try a brisket first time out. Thben again I'm known to play in traffic as well.

May be new to this...but I know better...to both of your pasttimes :wink:

mrkkti
07-13-2004, 09:37 AM
welcome aboard from a fellow Dakotan but of the southern veriety. Where you at in ND?

Near Devils Lake, it'd be 90 miles west of Grand Forks.

Jorge
07-13-2004, 09:43 AM

That was good, very good. Welcome!

Bill-Chicago
07-13-2004, 09:50 AM

LMAO

That was good.

brdbbq
07-13-2004, 10:08 AM

LMAO

That was good.

You ever see Dallas traffic you would know what I meant.

BigAl
07-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Me, I'm into home Brew......I buy the Brew and bring it home..... Welcome!

BigAl
07-13-2004, 11:32 AM

I had no idea until this thread that there were two Dakota's

Thought it was one state, and people came from either the north or the south part of the state.

Next you'll tell me you have running water too.

Bull $hit was the only thing ever invented in Chicago IL. :lol: And since has spreat to mostly Texas. :shock:

Bill-Chicago
07-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Via Colorado

LMAO, again

Bigmofo300lbs
07-13-2004, 11:44 AM

I with brdbbq on this one. Go big or go home! That is what I did. Though there is some merit to the phrase "Gotta crawl before you can walk. And walk before you can run.". (Forgive me, I am originally from North Carolina and we have a quote for everything)

Bigdog
07-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Ahhhh, turkey drumsticks, now there's an idea. Thanks!

Welcome mrkkti. I often do a 3-pack of TDs on my smokes, along with the several sausage logs a.k.a fatties. I use a salty rub such as Lawrey's Seasonded Salt on my TDs.

We need a good name for TDs, brothers. How about: War Clubs :?: