PDA

View Full Version : Char-griller questions

BBQJ
06-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi all I just got a chargrillergrill #2828 and side fire box with it part #2424. There are no instructions with it on how to attach fire box to grill. My question is do I cut out both "footballs" on the fire box and grill? Or do I only cut out on grill? Thank you for help!!

BorderBrewer
06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Yes, knock out both footballs.

http://tinyurl.com/CG-Assy-Pics

Regards,
BorderBrewer

thunderwagn
06-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Gotta do both man. If I remember correctly, there are 6 small holes you must knock out as well. Make life easy and drill em. I also used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut out the "footballs". Much easier than wrestling with the thing.

Kevin
06-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Gotta do both man. If I remember correctly, there are 6 small holes you must knock out as well. Make life easy and drill em. I also used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut out the "footballs". Much easier than wrestling with the thing.

Yep. It was a while back, but if I recall correctly I bent mine up a bit knocking them out with a hammer and chisel. But in my defense. I was performing this operation in the middle of Minnesota winter in my kitchen.

bigboyjon
06-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Might as well start reading on mods to do. The 3 most important, extend the stack on the inside to the grate-3inch pipe I think. Flip the charcoal rack over when smoking-makes a baffle and its free, and install a temp gauge closer to grate level. Good luck, makes a pretty good smoker for the backyard.

Kevin
06-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Might as well start reading on mods to do. The 3 most important, extend the stack on the inside to the grate-3inch pipe I think. Flip the charcoal rack over when smoking-makes a baffle and its free, and install a temp gauge closer to grate level. Good luck, makes a pretty good smoker for the backyard.

Good advice. A tin snips and a large coffee can will work for the exhaust stack extension down to grate level. Raising the fire box grate to allow for ash is an important and easy fix too. I loved the cast iron grates.

crocker84
06-16-2010, 06:57 PM
I second the dremel idea. Those knockouts are real tuff.

Papa Payne
06-16-2010, 07:04 PM
The best mod is a charcoal basket just small enough to fit into the firebox. You can get 6 to 7 hrs of uninterrupted burn time if done correctly.

I have really enjoyed mine and the Brethren without a doubt has been the best investment anyone can make in their time for expanding their BBQ knowledge!

Papa

Dylan's Dad
06-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Just wanted to add...never trust the thermometers that came with it. Especially after the first couple of cooks. They are to high to be of much use and are notoriously inaccurate. If you haven't already installed them, use a very light hand when installing the nut on the back or they won't read a temp at all.

BBQJ
06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Thank you all for the info and tips! Do any of you have a pic of that mod to tower smoke stack to grill surface? Thanks

MOS95B
06-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I can get you pics. The one Kevin mod'ed now proudly sits on my patio....

BorderBrewer
06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
BBQJ,
I bought a 8" length of 6" diameter of heater duct from Home depot, slit it lengthwise and rolled it to fit the inside of the chimney tube. I secured the roll with a couple of pop rivits. I can extend it down to grate level when smoking or push it up into the chimney and out of the way when grilling.

Regards,
BorderBrewer

91vw03
06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
My stack extension was a length of 4" dryer vent. I used a pipe clamp at the stack and turned it down to follow the contour of the lid, down to the grate. this way I can still use the upper grate and open the lid.

Like this:
http://static.flickr.com/85/264088777_53f70a2613.jpg

BBQJ
06-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow thank you for the pics helps a lot!! New question anyone on this site make and sell charcoal baskets? If not, any on-line sites that sell em? Cant find any around here.

MOS95B
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Someone here might make them, but - http://www.chargriller.com/store/accessories.php

The Pigman
06-17-2010, 10:19 PM
I believe flipping the pan over defeats the purpose of the stack extension because you put the heat and smoke right to the stack....instead you come in 6 inches with a downward deflector from the firebox so that the heat/smoke come in at downward angle then up past meat then it has to come back down past meat to exit out of tube.....

bigdogphin
06-17-2010, 11:23 PM
A charcoal box is a must and I used a welding blanket over the main chamber to add insulation.

jwalk721
06-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Wow thank you for the pics helps a lot!! New question anyone on this site make and sell charcoal baskets? If not, any on-line sites that sell em? Cant find any around here.

go to Lowes and get their "grilling basket". It's in the aisle with all of the grill accessories and is made by charbroil. I think it's on sale for around 10 bucks right now. Perfect size once you cut the front and rear handles off.

91vw03
06-18-2010, 07:03 AM
I just made a basket similar to this one:
http://i17.tinypic.com/66djtdd.jpg

It's made from expanded metal, which can be found at lowes/Home depot, or you might be able to find a metal fabrication shop with some scrap.

thunderwagn
06-18-2010, 07:04 AM
The best mod is a charcoal basket just small enough to fit into the firebox. You can get 6 to 7 hrs of uninterrupted burn time if done correctly.

I have really enjoyed mine and the Brethren without a doubt has been the best investment anyone can make in their time for expanding their BBQ knowledge!

Papa

Agree with the above posts about the charcoal basket. I fought temps and the fire before making one. I hold steady temps now for hrs. and by raising the basket a bit with a couple pieces of 1/2" rebar, my temps are long and steady. I do plan on extending my smoke stack down closer to the grill, but the basket has worked miracles that are very, very noticeable. I burn much less fuel to boot too:clap2:

thunderwagn
06-18-2010, 07:06 AM
91vw03, that's exactly like the one I made. Incredibly simple. If you don't have access to expanded metal, I think just buying a basket would be just as cheap...

91vw03
06-18-2010, 07:07 AM
That was my reason for the basket as well. the ash would collect in the bottom and I'd get no air flow. and the basket that comes with it sits on the tray that slides out so If I emptied it I'd need to start a new fire. I'm giving it a go this weekend so we'll see.

MOS95B
06-18-2010, 08:27 AM
I believe flipping the pan over defeats the purpose of the stack extension because you put the heat and smoke right to the stack....instead you come in 6 inches with a downward deflector from the firebox so that the heat/smoke come in at downward angle then up past meat then it has to come back down past meat to exit out of tube.....

I have to agree with this, as well. With the "grilling pan/grate" flipped over, the tems are more even, but really low. I did a "test run" a couple of days ago with the pan right side up. Temps varied 70-100* from side to side, but were a lot closer to where I wanted them.

I wish I was brave enough to cut the pan in half. I'll just have to dig through the garage and try to find something for a shorter shield

And, even though I dont have one (yet), I'm going to also support the basket vote. The lid on the firebox is a really akward size and/or position for adding coals to the fire. A larger "fuel tank" would definitely be an improvement

Earl
06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
I used to have a problems with low temps if I used the cook grates from the SFB to support the ash pan. I now hang the inverted ash pan on the hangers so it comes to the top of the opening in the SFB with the wider gap along the back. I cover the gap at the SFB with foil. I raise the left side one notch higher than the right. My stack extension comes to the left front corner of the grates.

My temps run within 10° side to side. Usually I can't see any difference between the two analog thermometers. I also don't have a problem reaching 275° if needed.

Just my 2¢.

deathamphetamine
06-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Good advice, do you think keeping the knock outs and turning them into a damper would work ?

I have mine mounted to a piece of SS pipe about 3/4" O.D. Not too sure how to go about mounting it yet.:confused:

Captain P.J.
06-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Has anyone tried insulating the inside of the lid? If so, what have you found that works for you.