PDA

View Full Version : Brothers need wing help

Skidder
06-16-2010, 05:20 AM
I've been trying everything to make some decent wings. I don't mean buffalo wings cause most anyone can do them. I tryed everything to come up with something different and still not happy. Got any ideas for a brother? Thanks for any help.

SmokinAussie
06-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Look... to be honest what the fark is a decent wing? Really.

How do you wanna do them. What spices do you like... What spices do you not like...

Do you like to brine, or not to brine. Do you cut them into the smaller parts and chuck the tip, or do you cook whole. What BBQ do you have.. are you wishing to grill, or slow BBQ indirect with smoke and fragrant wood...

So.. what have you been trying to make decent chicken wings with bro.

Glad to assist when you know what your askin for..

Cheers!

Bill

aquablue22
06-16-2010, 06:25 AM
Smoked Chicken Wings (also works good on Turkey Wings!)

Cut wings into separate pieces throwing away the tip.

Rub evenly with your favorite rub recipe for chicken, I like Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy.

Marinate in the refrigerator in a zip lock bag for 24 hours

Smoke on you smoker using the in-direct method, around 225 to 250 for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until done to your liking..

Take them off the grill and put them in a bowl and coat with any kind of sauce you like, bar b que sauce, wing sauce, honey, whatever and then seal the bowl and let them rest and absorb the flavor for about 1/2 hour.

These are my go to for taking to parties, always the first thing to be gone!

Good Luck.

91vw03
06-16-2010, 07:27 AM
I had good luck with the directions on Dizzy pigs site. Breaded on the grill.

zinner
06-16-2010, 08:02 AM
I do almost exactly what aquablue22 does with their wings and they are always awesome. I toss them on the grill after smoking to crisp up the skin a bit tho.

FretBender
06-16-2010, 08:09 AM
I'll often marinade them in teriyaki or soy sauce overnight, then sprinkle on some rub and do the 220 for a few hours cook. Depending on the sauce, I may sauce and rest or sauce and grill onthe gasser to finish.

countyliner
06-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Aquablue + Zinner and they will fly out of the bowl at the party! (Fly....wings....get it!? Bwhaha...sorry, couldnt resist)

I did some a couple of weeks ago marinated in Buffalo Wild Wings Carribean Jerk sauce, they were awesome.

Pyle's BBQ
06-16-2010, 08:52 AM
What is wrong with said wings? Taste or texture? How are you preparing your wings? IMO, I use Yardbird on the wings and cook them indirect with what ever I have on hand for wood. I do cook them on my Weber.

Phubar
06-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Probably gonna make some wings tonight...sometimes I marinate them overnight but in this case I'm just gonna coat them with a thin layer of olive oil and some dry rub.
Don't know what rub I'm gonna use (probably Dizzy Pigsz) but all the rubs will just do Phine.
Gonna smoke them in the UDS at 225 for a short while and then crank it up to 350 somewhere.

landarc
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
You could wrap them in bacon, I just had some like this at a local BBQ place (Phat Matt's in Oakland) and they are good. Of course, since they are wrapped in bacon and smoked, they have to be good.

SmokeJumper
06-16-2010, 11:41 AM
You could wrap them in bacon, I just had some like this at a local BBQ place (Phat Matt's in Oakland) and they are good. Of course, since they are wrapped in bacon and smoked, they have to be good.

I second the slow smoked bacon-wrapped wings. I'm dreaming of those for lunch. They had the skin-off didn't they landarc?

Skidder
06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
landarc now we're talking. I guess I'm looking for something really different. I love buffalo wings but thats not what I'm looking for. To tell the truth I don't now what flavor profile I'm looking for I'm just up for something different like landarc posted. I've done brined with bbq sauce,evoo with Todds Dirt (very good) and a hot duck sauce but not quite what I want. Sorry it's hard to explain but keep throwing out recipes and I'll keep trying them. Thanks all for your posts.

Southern Home Boy
06-16-2010, 01:54 PM
If you want to do something different and want to incorporate bacon, try these:
Bacon & Bleu Inside-out Buffalo Wings
First, I took some wings and Frenched the flapper section, turnign the meat and skin inside out on the end of the larger of the two bones creating a "pocket" of meat like a "meat pop".
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/Frenchedwings.jpg

Then stuffed the cavity with a mixture of bacon crumbles, Bleu Cheese crumbles and my home-made chipotle Buffalo sauce.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/Stuffedwings.jpg

Threw them on the smoker for about an hour and a half along with a spatchcocked chicken and the drummies.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/Grillinwings.jpg

Once they were done, I dipped them in additional Buffalo sauce et voila. http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/Insideoutwings.jpg

Neither my plating nor photography skills do them justice, but they were INCREDIBLE. And not as hard to make as it might seem. Once you do the first couple, you really get the feel for how to French them and it goes pretty quickly. Each wing holds about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the stuffing mix.

Skidder
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Dang it's getting better and better. Keep em coming this is what I mean. Yes I knew the brothers would come through for me. Thanks but don't stop.

landarc
06-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I second the slow smoked bacon-wrapped wings. I'm dreaming of those for lunch. They had the skin-off didn't they landarc?
To be honest, I do not know, I did not stop long enough to notice.

landarc
06-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Years ago we would get a dish called Stuffed Chicken Wings are a place called Silver Dragon in Oakland Chinatown. They were deep-fried, but, I think they would be good smoked. Essentially, they rolled the skin up, cut the meat and peeled it away from the bone, stuffed with a stuffing of shrimp, pork (belly I think), cilantro, water chestnut and scallion. It was then dipped in batter and fried, I think it would be good with the skin rolled down then smoked.

Amber
06-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Ok here's what I do with ours. Marinate in tequila, beer, montreal chicken seasoning, garlic, and dried chilis. I use a mix of chili piquins and guajillo chilis. Marinate overnight preferably. You could use fresh chilis, but I found out dried produces a better flavor. Smoke about 250 for two hours. They will pick up heat from the marinate so we find no need for sauce. We sold an entire case of chicken wings at our last fundraiser in an hour.

Skidder
06-17-2010, 04:35 AM
So far great recipes. I did try landarcs bacon wrapped wings cause I had everything in the house to do them. Smoked for an hour then wrapped in bacon then back on for another hour. I gave them to the firefighter across the steet along with 5 pounds of pulled pork so I will have to get a taste report when his shift ends. I will try as many recipes as I can though. I appreciate all your help.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/chixwings001.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/chixwings003.jpg