PDA

View Full Version : Which weber to grab off CL?

CaptainJimmy
06-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Looking for a kettle to compliment my BGE....

I recently *made* a friend buy a one touch silver (actually technically, I took his credit card, told him i was using it to buy him a proper grill, and went to walmart and bought it), and i was so impressed with how good it cooked that I want a kettle of my own. I bought him a chimney, a bag of kingsford (no royal oak at this walmart), a bag of hickory chips, and a cryo of spare ribs (gotta love super walmarts for one stop shopping, wish we had one near me).

The ribs that came off this silly little $89 kettle were perfect in every way, I would have been proud to have served them from my BGE or some high end competition rig.

So, my question is. Which one should I look for? The performer seems nice, theres one in my area on CL for $50 in good condition. The gas light seems nice i guess, but gimmicky.

the one touch silvers are as simple as they come, but with no thermometer it's all a "feel" thing...theres one for sale with a chimney and a bag of charcoal for $29 used one season.

THeres also some new in boxes 22.5" one touches i can get for around $60.

any thoughts/suggestions?

Ron_L
06-12-2010, 10:36 PM
For me, hands down the Performer. If it is as built, it will have a dome thermometer and the the hinged grate. The cart is also handy as a workspace.

Philly-QueMaster
06-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I 2nd the performer. If you can get one for $50 off of craigslist thats a steel. I bought mine for $100 and love it. Having the table space and the gas start is a very nice addition.

JazzyBadger
06-12-2010, 11:01 PM
I've got the silver (thanks to Ashmont) he threw on the hinged grate, and I plan on using my turkey fryer thermo for the dome.

I agree with the other guys though, if it's 50 bucks for the Performer, it's a bargain right there.

mbshop
06-12-2010, 11:49 PM
the performers seem to be the prefered setup but i would suggest getting a silver also. you know, just in case ya gotta cook at a tailgate party, etc.

PDXsmoker
06-13-2010, 12:14 AM
I got a performer off of CL Portland yesterday (despite the fact that I had knee surgery that morning) for $125. It was the older model with the SS top. I used it first time tonight, and i love it. I had been using gas forever, but never again (other than the charcoal lighter in the Perf.).
Cold smoked some NY strips for an hour then finished them on the Weber, they were great!:-D

qnbiker
06-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I went with the basic models. I got a 3 wheeler for $15 and a OTS for $25. As for thermometers, I bought cheap ones at HD for less than $10 and mounted them my self. They work great.

jgh1204
06-13-2010, 12:27 AM
The obvious answer is buy them both. I have both a performer and a OTS.

zydecopaws
06-13-2010, 01:06 AM
For $50 the Performer is by far and away the best deal, even if you don't use the gas igniter. I've had mine for a year now and I still haven't tested the igniter on it...

SmokinAussie
06-13-2010, 06:54 AM
The obvious answer is buy them both. I have both a performer and a OTS.

Yes, just buy them all...

Cheers!

Bill

fshnwiz
06-13-2010, 07:07 AM
More is always better. He who dies with the most toys wins.

jaronimo
06-13-2010, 07:12 AM
As a new performer user (Craigslist find) I say get the performer. I have had a weber gold for a while and love it too. Either one is great in my book. I have never had a weber silver, I like the enclosed ash tray, I cook on a wood deck, it just seems like the silver would get ashes everywhere.

I use the propane ignition, let it run for 5 minutes and shut it off. Works great. You do have to mess around with the coals once or twice, but I do that even when I use the chimney starter.

The thermometer in the lid is great too. After a long time of not having it, I really like having it now.

aquablue22
06-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Both!...........just sayin'

expatpig
06-13-2010, 09:19 AM
That"silly little $89. kettle" is $129. here.

Beerwolf
06-13-2010, 09:48 AM
More is always better. He who dies with the most toys wins.

NO... He who dies with the most toys.... Dies, leaving his relatives to fight over who wins!

LoveMeSomeQ
06-13-2010, 09:58 AM
That"silly little $89. kettle" is $129. here.

Same here, the one touch silver is $89 by me! I've been looking for a one touch gold or performer for some time. Everytime i find a deal on a performer someone has already snatched it up! lol

Bob S
06-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Get the Performer! It's a steal at $50

Darko
06-13-2010, 10:37 AM
No question, get the performer. Then, if the silver is available, get it too. You can never have too many kettle's

Muddy River Boy
06-13-2010, 01:46 PM
GET THEM BOTH!!! You will not be sorry if you do but will be if you dont!!!!

Clint
Muddy River Boy

NeoTrout
06-13-2010, 03:47 PM
BOTH! No. Really. BOTH! :cool:

Brian in Maine
06-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Did you make a decision yet? If I was near by they would both be gone.

CaptainJimmy
06-14-2010, 11:31 PM
argh... well the performer was long gone. I'm going to buy the OTS new in box i think for $60 tho... i REALLY want a kettle now. I don't know why really because i LOVE how my bge cooks and how predictable and efficient it is...but whatever.

hardy02ttu
06-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Haha, I wish I had your problem! There is rarely anything worth having here on craigslist, and even more rare that that there is a decent price for it. I finally scored me an awesome 18" kettle and I love it.

bbq ron
06-15-2010, 06:17 AM
i just bought a performer used and put a new hinged grate on it. used it twice and did not like it. the taste of charcoal made me sick and will stay with my stick burner.
willing to sell it if anybody in my area is interested in it for $50, it's 22.5
just pm me about it
thx ron

cgwaite
06-15-2010, 07:15 AM
GET THEM BOTH!!! You will not be sorry if you do but will be if you dont!!!!

I fully agree! Both would be best!

CaptainJimmy
06-16-2010, 08:03 PM
I got a 22" OTS off CL for $20.... not buying that new one when a used one will do just fine.

my first cook i plan on doing is the alton brown grillus domesticus chicken...i might even break out the D-SLR for the occasion

ctoddrun
06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
I got a performer off of CL Portland yesterday (despite the fact that I had knee surgery that morning) for $125. It was the older model with the SS top. I used it first time tonight, and i love it. I had been using gas forever, but never again (other than the charcoal lighter in the Perf.).
Cold smoked some NY strips for an hour then finished them on the Weber, they were great!:-D

I picked up one of these off Dallas CL yesterday, too... Asking $75, a great deal at $60. Haven't cooked on it yet, but filled the propane bottle tonight and fired up half a chimney, ya know, to "test it out" - looks like a new grate is in order, as this one is pretty rusted on one half and I can't seem to get it off. Other than that, works great - my vote is for the Performer...

ctoddrun
06-16-2010, 08:22 PM
i just bought a performer used and put a new hinged grate on it. used it twice and did not like it. the taste of charcoal made me sick and will stay with my stick burner.
willing to sell it if anybody in my area is interested in it for $50, it's 22.5
just pm me about it
thx ron

Could you just burn wood in the kettle? Might takes a bit longer to get down to coals, but seems to me it would work okay...

SmokeJumper
06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
My vote is for the newer 26"Weber. I just picked mine up yesterday NIB for $140! With a whopping one cook under my belt on it I say it is the best Weber I have ever used.