PDA

View Full Version : Good Eats skirt steak episode?

kylersk
06-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Alton put on a nice marinade on the flank steak, then went out to the kettle that was burning. Grabbed a hair dryer and blew on the coals. I'm assuming for show or maybe to spread the fire a bit? Next, he threw off the grill/grate and threw the steaks right on the coals. 1 minute each side, then removed steak from kettle and put in tin foil to sit. Not sure how long he let it sit in tin-foil, but when he sliced it was a nice medium rare.

Has anyone else cooked RIGHT on the coals like that?

The only thing I've cooked right on the coals are hobo meals. Basically, meat and vegetables with butter wrapped in tin-foil and thrown on fire to cook.

Chef Jim
06-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Yea, I've seen it done but have not tried it. Should work with no problem, but remember this is TV. There has to be a wow factor.

Hoss
06-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I have done onions and taters in the fire.I have also cooked Ribeye steak directly on the coals,no grate.Worked fine.

jeffboyette
06-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Have to use low ash char wood and don't let them burn down too much. helps to keeps junk off the meat. Great way to sear a fattu ribeye or wagyu. No flare up except around the side.

righteousdog
06-11-2010, 06:44 AM
"knowing" alton it helps to be in an altered state of mind...

jaronimo
06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
I have heard of "dirty steaks" where you cook the meat directly on very hot coals. I have not tried it with whole steaks but I did cut a 3x4 inch piece off of a flap steak, fanned the coals hot, and placed it on the coals. It tasted good, most of the ash, charcoal, etc, did not stick to the steak, guess thats why it needs to be hot? i did have to brush off a little ash.

One day I may try it with a whole steak. The flavor was a little different, probably because you have some ash mixed in with the meat. It was good, but i am not sure i need to add more ash to my diet.

SCRedneckBBQ
06-11-2010, 08:03 AM
If I remember correctly he used the hairdryer to remove a lot of the ashes.

Learnin Querve
06-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I tried it with a small piece of flank steak over lump charcoal and was impressed. (good wow factor) I bumped the kettle a couple of times knock off the ash just before putting the steak on. I can't say that there was much ash on the meat at all. I wouldn't try it over briquettes though.

Lay it into the coals, then lift it straight up with the tongs to flip it, try to avoid dragging it across the coals and picking up ash. And it does cook a lot faster than over a grate, so don't walk away. I didn't foil mine, just rested it on a board for about 5 minutes and chopped it.

I'm tempted to try it with a piece of top sirloin this weekend. I can have one cut about an inch thick, which is about the maximum thickness I would try.

Chris

Bartstop
06-11-2010, 11:53 AM
LOL. I saw that to. I wondered if someone would be posting about it. I just use a little extra lump so that the coals are just barely under the grate. I can't imagine there would be much temp difference when you're that close.

deguerre
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
If I remember correctly he used the hairdryer to remove a lot of the ashes.
Ding ding ding!

keend
06-12-2010, 06:58 AM
I have cooked directly on coals with things like egg plant, potatoes, etc. that I then peeled.

I have never tried meat, have no reason to eat "dirty" steak. If I want it that hot, I just build a bigger fire or leave coals in chimney starter and put grate on top of chimney. :thumb:

SCRedneckBBQ
06-12-2010, 07:07 AM
I just bought Steven Raichlen's book, "Planet Barbeque" this process is mentioned in there too, right down to the use of the hairdryer. All in all a pretty interesting book. Found it at Wally World

Carbon
07-19-2010, 12:07 PM
This technique I guess is just good for the wow factor and a little entertainment for your guests. I did a whole dirty tri-tip a couple of weeks ago. Any ash and embers brush right off.

landarc
07-19-2010, 12:10 PM
the blow dryer will blow off ash and increases the heat as well.

JazzCat
07-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I've done this a couple of times with a nice 1 1/2" sirloin steak.
I had the steak marinating in a little Stubb's Beef Marinade.
I used RO Steakhouse lump, got it daggum red-hot and blew away the little ash...
Then dropped the steak over the bed of embers. One minute aside is perfect for MR.
Try it, very little ash on the meat, if any.
I got the idea from watching an old cowboy movie on TBS :-D

thirdeye
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%202/832900ae.jpg

When I first heard about cooking in the coals I didn't have the guts to try it. So I took some flat expando and put it in my Egg and cooked atop that. So I was 1/16" from doing it on the coals.... Long tongs are a must, and it's a fast cook. I haven't done it since.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%202/a8f53e1f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%202/b43973ab.jpg

deguerre
07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Heaven on a plate.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%202/b43973ab.jpg

RobKC
07-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Cooking directly on the coals eliminates the flareups.