PDA

View Full Version : Need some free advice

Johnny_Crunch
06-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Ok, I am at a crossroads and want to know what the all knowing brethren would do in this situation.

I have a Brinkmann gasser I purchased in 2006 for $1500 that is now in need of a complete set of the ceramic heat diffusers. Brinkmann no longer carries the majority of the parts for the grill including these diffusers and have no other suggestion for replacing them. They are rectangular ceramic tiles and I can't find any that are the right size.

I know this seems like a tiny item but it's really the heart of a good gasser and I believe I should be able to buy parts for a $1500 grill 4 years after I buy it.

Luckily the only place I shop is Costco and the good people there have agreed to allow me to return the unit and get a store credit.

I have a few options and I want to know what you guys and gals think.

1) I can rig it with some expanded metal and install ceramic briquettes, this would work but it is a patch not a repair.

2) I can return the unit and get a store credit to buy a drop in grill by Bull Outdoor Products and add a space to my outdoor kitchen for my new grill.

3) I can return the unit and get a store credit to use on groceries and what not and use my Weber Q as my main gasser at the house.

4) I can return the unit and get a store credit to use on groceries and what not and save up some cash and buy a real Weber gasser most likely the summit.

BBQ Bandit
06-10-2010, 09:11 PM
last option... get a 'real' Weber...

You can get a fleet of 22 1/2" WSMs for that line of store credit.

Gore
06-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Whatever you do, you gotta love Costco! To take a return on a product after four years is incredible!

Meat Burner
06-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Agree, get a real bbq/smoker bro. Not trying to be negative but the gassers have their place, but get some real fire going.

Johnny_Crunch
06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I have a UDS, my gasser gets nearly daily use though. Can't live without one. I willl be adding a kettle to my arsenal soon though.

kylersk
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Get an Egg!

I swore by cooking on a kettle, then we built our deck. Couldn't have kettle on deck, so I bought a Weber Gasser. It was convenient, but so Is Burger King. ;) Anyways, I've since picked up an Egg and LOVE it! I cook on it EVERY chance I get. I'd sell the gasser, but my wife wont let me sell it because she can cook on it when I'm not around.

PTSidehow
06-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Depending on if you can find the tiles you can get them cut to the exact size of the originals and go from there. Again depending on the sentimental attachment to the grill.

Any tile shop should be able to cut them or you can rent the type of saw at the big box home stores or rental places.

But it sounds like you can't beat the deal Costco is offering you!
:thumb:

aquablue22
06-11-2010, 06:04 AM
I can not believe not one of you guys said................BUILD an ???

I voted number four, return the gasser to Costco and save up enough money for a Weber gasser, you'll be glad you did!

kickassbbq
06-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Stick Burners Rule!!! That's how you get REAL BBQ!!!

Just my opinion and I don't know Jack Didley about anything.

I have a gas grill that has not been used for YEARS! If you want it, come and get it.

1FUNVET
06-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Take the money and run.

FretBender
06-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Get a pellet grill, will do everythiing the gasser does and can smoke and bbq as well, Especially if you get one with the direct heat features for grilling! The MAK grills have the direct flame area that works just like a gas grill only uses wood fuel. The pellet grills also have digital temperature controls just like an oven so they can be used to grill, smoke, bbq, cook pizza or bread, grill steaks,, etc. The best of all worlds IMO. Take a look at them.