PDA

View Full Version : My 30th B'Day Bash

lwlobo
06-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm getting ready to celebrate my 30th Birthday next week. For my party, I'm going to be doing what I love, which is BBQ'ing a lot of meat, and I could use some expert advice.

Appetizer will be MOINK balls. Probalby use Kirkland meatballs.

The Menu is:

Pulled Pork
Brisket
BBQ Chicken
Tri-Tip

I'm trying to bring some of the elements of Southern (not a specific region, yet), Texas, and California BBQ styles. I'm intending the brisket to be my Texas representative, with pork and BBQ chicken respecting southern tradition, and the Tri-Tip for our native CA heritage.

I have some experience with Pork and Brisket, but not a lot. I could use some advice for that. I'm pretty confident on Chicken (but could use some advice for which cut might work best, and rub), and I think I've got the Santa Maria Tri-Tip pretty well figured out.

For equipment, i've got the two UDS's that my co-worker and I built a while back, a weber kettle, electric brinkman, gas grill, etc.

I'm looking for input on favorite rubs/marinates, smoke woods (have Apple and Hickory already), BBQ sauces, rolls, side dishes, and timing. The party is at 6 pm next Thursday, and I will have the day off to get everything done. When should I get things started? When to pull the pork and slice the brisket? I'll plan to finish the Tri-Tip and Chicken not too long before the party.

I'm willing to make or buy rubs or sauces locally or online. Cost is a factor, but so is time required.

I want to share my passion for BBQ with my friends and family. I've looked all over the web for recipes and tips, but I thought I'd check with all the experts here. Sorry for writing a book, and thanks for your suggestions!

landarc
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
In terms of Southern Style pork, I think of shoulders, chopped or pulled, served with a thin sauce of mustard or vinegar. I also tend to think of pork cooked with a very basic salt/pepper/garlic rub and mopped with vinegar and apple juice.

To me, brisket in a truly Texas style is cooked with a very simple rub also. Most of what I have heard being traditional is salt and pepper. Sometimes chile powder.

McGurk
06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow, huge line of questions. I am in a similar boat and about your same age. I just did my first 15 person cook (with help from here) with a pork butt, turkey, 2 doz. MOINK balls, and 4 doz ABTs; all on 1) UDS w/ 2 racks and a Weber lid. Do all of your shopping (about 18 lbs of bacon), and your sides and appetizer prep Tues. night (I am assuming you are working during the day), do all of your Meat prep and UDS prep (get everything match ready) Weds night and get to bed early.

Light up the UDS(s) and Get that butt and brisket on when you need to depending on the size (you've done them before) as in 3AM or whatever you need to allow for hours of cooler resting after they are done. Go back to bed after you are confident you have the UDS(s) running smoothly. Chicken and MOINKS go on the Weber or gas grill during the day as needed, but try to allow for a nap during the day before guests arrive (It'll be a late night!!!). Cooler the butt and brisket when you have reached your desired temp. Aim for all meat to have ample time to be cooler rested and ready at 5, so you can have an hour for dinner prep (slicing, pulling, and cutting). Eat at 6, and enjoy your night!

Coleslaw and cheapo white buns are a must, other standard sides as you see fit. I don't have much to say about rubs except that Plowboy's stuff sure gets mentioned alot around here. I used pecan wood with KF and had mixed results (I expected more, I guess, from all of the pro-pecan posters here) but if you can find it go for it! Not much else for you, but allow for extra time for everything; a prewarmed cooler can eat up any of your extra time. Good Luck!

Phubar
06-10-2010, 05:17 AM
So...we're from the same year!:becky:

lwlobo
06-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Phubar, isn't it nice how easy it is calculate your age when you're born in 1980? :clap2:

landarc, I was thinking along the same lines. I think I'll go this route for the pork:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=123&category=*BBQ%20BRETHREN%20PORK*

Either use the rub in the recipe or order some Plowboys's (I've been wanting to get some anyway). Defininately use the vinegar type sauce:

"1 C Cider vinegar 1 T Brown sugar 1 t salt, or to taste ½ t Ground cayenne ½ t Ground black pepper Combine in a large container and let stand overnight in the fridge."

Not sure about the brisket rub yet. Probably keep it simple.

Good advice, McGurk. I think I'll do exactly your Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday shopping and prep schedule. Cheapo white buns, like hamburger buns? Sandwich rolls? Thanks!

deguerre
06-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes to the plain white hamburger buns for the pulled pork sandwiches! Fresh and soft.:thumb:

Oldschoolbbq
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
As a native of Texas , I rather tend to lean toward the eqsier way of seasoning. My Brisky gets Sea Salt/CBP(cracked black pepper).Rub on geenerously and place on the smoker @ 225*F or so and let it go; the taste will be great!
As for wood,you may be able to get RedOak there and it is great!Maple and fruit woods are my favorite and easy to get here in Buckeye Land.
I certainly hope you have a great 30th and don't forget,you will never be trusted by young people any more after you day:shocked:!!!
In any case,have fun and,

pokefan
06-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm fairly new here and can't really help out much lobo but just had to stop in and say Happy Birthday and great idea! ;)

I'm actually doing the same thing for my 28th this weekend. Although a lot smaller menu (16lbs of pulled pork). We're actually heading out to our new cabin this weekend with a bunch of friends and I wanted to share some good grub. Just went on the UDS this afternoon and is on it's way to smokey goodness as I type!

Hope you have a great birthday and even better food! http://yahoofreak.com/animated%20emoticons/Birthday%20Animated%20Emoticons/happy%20and%20cheerful%20birthday.gif

expatpig
06-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm really feeling old!

jimmyinsd
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
first off...happy birthday, secondly ....do what you do, this is your bbq. give em what you have done and love instead of trying to duplicate something that you have seen a picture of on the internet. i am not saying dont try new things, but keep your day within your area of expertise so you can relax about it and enjoy it, instead of fretting about serving your guests crap.

lwlobo
06-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Well, tonight we do trim and rub everything, tomorrow is the big day.

I've realized I'm doing more than I should be, but I think we can pull it all off.

I have a couple more questions. I got 4 big pork butts, 9-10 lbs each, bone in. They say Pork Butt/Shoulder. How long should I expect them to cook?

I'm also doing a couple 12# packer briskets. How much trimming? Last time I did brisket, I did moderate trimming and used a high temp smoke then foil type of deal (5 hours). I'm tending to think I'll go low and slow the whole time this time. I've seen people say 1.25-1.5 hours/lb. I'm thinking it'll be 12-15 hours. Does this sound right?

Getting really excited...

Ryan Chester
06-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you have your hands full. Im sure everything will turn out great!!!

Pyle's BBQ
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM
It all depends upon the temp you will be cooking at. 250* for 12 hours on the brisket is a good rule of thumb. Make sure your thermometers are working properly. (Boiling water test) The buts will probably take the same amount of time. They are rather large. You will know when they are done when the bone pulls free. They will hold in a cooler for quite a while if they get done before the brisket. I would shoot to have the meat done an hour before you are going to eat.

McGurk
06-17-2010, 07:40 AM
I was just thinking about you yesterday, and wondered if I had missed your results. I don't have any help on the briskets, but it sounds like you are going to have one stuffed UDS. Is it a 2 rack setup, and can you get it all on at once? I'd put that meat on either at midnight and go to bed, or get to bed early and get 'em on at 3AM. Like I said, a large, pre-warmed, heavy duty cooler and a bunch of towels will eat up any extra time you might have if they finish early.

Keep us updated, and take some pix of both the cook and the requisite keg stands that a person does on their 30th birthday, trying to relive their glory years. It may look dorky in front of guests, but ask for some pix of you tending the smoker and your meat, too. It'll make for some good memories down the road.

wildflower
06-17-2010, 09:57 AM
What time should I be there :confused:

KGB
06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday- sounds like its gonna be a helluva party!

jetfxr27
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Memphis pulled Pork,
Rub with your favorite rub that contains paprika, brown sugar and cayenne
Low and slow all day at 225* unil about 190-200, or more accurately when it probes through most of the meat very easily and very little resistance.

Rest no less than 15, pull. Use the bone to chop.

http://www.biteofthebest.com/wp-content/uploads/hickorysmokedpulled-porksandwich.jpg

Serve on white bread bun and have a choice of BBQ sauces for the guests to put on there sammich if theyre so inclined. A dolop of cole slaw on the sammich is good too.

The smell of pulling a fresh butt will intoxicate your guests, and they will not be able to keep there hands off.

Cant speak for the other regions.
And HAppy Birthday. The transition from 30 to 31 is HUUGE. For me anyway. Start out at 30 saying,Ok I'm know longer a kid by any means. I can deal with this. By the time you reach 31 youre like OK this is for REAL. I'm actually getting old now. Enjoy it, I'm 31 BTW.