PDA

View Full Version : Scored big today...

Frank Sacco
06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
My neighbor had a damaged Bradford Pear tree in the front yard from a heavy storm last month. I claimed stake on it when I found out what species of tree is was. We took the remaining portion of the tree down today, trimmed it up and stacked it neatly in the side yard to season.

Any feedback from a personal experince cooking over pear is greatly appreciated.

(If any of you wise arse farkers say give me some.... the answers is NO!:becky:)

Sledneck
06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Being the fruitcake you are you should have no problem figuring out how to cook over a fruit wood. Give me some!!

MilitantSquatter
06-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I won't ask you for any pear wood....

but after you figure out what you're cooking with it, and when, let Sled and I know...

Big_AL
06-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I was told Bradford Pear is soft wood and not good for smoking. I did a little research which was inconclusive as I could not find a definitive answer. I still have some wood myself...hopefully someone can help us both out. :confused:

Sledneck
06-06-2010, 10:00 PM

but after you figure out what you're cooking with it, and when, let Sled and I know...
Doubt that will happen Long Islands BBQ Illuminati, all cooks are secrets

landarc
06-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Bradford Pear in not a softwood, it is like all pears, a hardwood. I have never cooked over it though. I would think it should burn like most fruit woods, it is related to apple trees botanically and shares some of the same characteristics.

bbqbull
06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_Bradford_Pear_Tree_a_hard_or_soft_wood

Frank Sacco
06-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Being the fruitcake you are you should have no problem figuring out how to cook over a fruit wood. Give me some!!

Hey Richard, I understand how to... And I know you like my fruitiness biatch

Frank Sacco
06-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Will do Bro :laugh:

Smokesman
06-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Funny you should post about the exact type of tree I was going to post a question about. A couple weeks ago I picked up about a dozen sections from a buddy of mine who had a damaged bradford taken down. My understanding is they are an ornamental pear tree and have small fruit. Also their blooms in spring while beautiful are very strong smelling.

Likewise, my question is if anyone has experience with Bradford Pear? I know the best way is to give it a whirl on the smoker but never hurts to see if others have experience.

Thanks!

Big_AL
06-06-2010, 10:44 PM
It's way too late for me to re-research this, but there are just as many articles stating Bradford Pear is a 'softwood' tree. I'm not an arborist so I certainly defer to those in the know...I'm just going off what I read. Either way, good score Frank and I hope it goes well for you. Let us/me know if you can please.

From Almandale Farms in TN...
http://www.almadalefarms.org/id78.html

To save time, in the text, is says... "Softwood trees such as the birch, and ornamental trees, most notably the Bradford pear, was frequently substituted for hardwoods. The Bradford pear has beautiful spring blooms and leaves until late fall. However, except for its use as a specimen, ornamental Bradford pears have many disadvantages. It is a grafted or hybridized tree, which is brittle, soft wooded and has a relatively short life span of approximately 15 years. It adds very little to long-term property values.

cgwaite
06-07-2010, 12:04 AM
For what it's worth, this site compares the difference between hardwood and softwood trees:

http://forestry.about.com/cs/treeid/f/Tree_ID_wood.htm

It also has a link to the definition of "hardwood":

http://forestry.about.com/od/foresttermsandglossary/g/id_term_hardwoo.htm

Since all fruit trees, including the Bradford Pear (a variety of a pear native to Korea and China, Pyrus calleryana) are angiosperms, plants that produce seeds with some sort of covering, they are considered to be a hardwood.

Soft wood trees, on the other hand, are gymnosperms, plants that grow from a "naked" seed. These plants have seeds that fall to the ground with no covering. Pines, firs and spruces, which grow seeds in cones, fall into this category. In conifers, seeds are released into the wind once they mature. This spreads the plant's seed over a wide area.

Let me just say right here that I am no expert on wood. I gleaned this information from the web, with the assistance of Google. In my research I did not locate any information that contradicted this definition. If you find information to the contrary, please post it and we can research this further.

Arlin_MacRae
06-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I've used it (had a major branch drop) and surprisingly, that chit burns HOT. Not like any other soft, fruitwood I've ever seen. Decent flavor too. Give it a try.

Mark
06-07-2010, 09:32 AM
I use Bradford Pear alot. Good stuff.

Westexbbq
06-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Hey Nutzo,
I would be happy to share all my feedback from a personal experince cooking over pear, but you would have to give me some to boot.

(nice score)

Northwoods Smoke
06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree that a Bradford Pear tree is soft wood. Cut it up into small chunks and ship it to me. I will dispose of it properly for you...