PDA

View Full Version : Burning out a liner: Questions.

cdoink
05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Hello,

a friend and I managed to score 2 55 Gallon Drums that we intend to turn into UDS's.

They were used for glucose and have a tan liner in them. We are in the process of burning them out(or attempting to) and after several hours of burning the liner appears to have turned black but it's still there. Is this normal? Should it burn right off? What are we looking for here ideally?

How long does this usually take and are their any other methods that any of you could recommend.

Any advice or info would be very appreciated.

Crazy Harry
05-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Make sure you drill the air intake hole(s) in the drum before you start the fire. you need the fire to burn inside the drum. the paint on the outside of the drum should also burn off if the fire is hot enough.

Mark Stanton
05-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I had the red liner in mine. It turned black after I burned it. It never burned out. I had to wire wheel it and sand on it. It took a while and was a lot of work but sure makes some good Q. Good luck!

hogman
05-28-2010, 06:14 PM
good venting and a mix of light dry wood like willow and seasoned oak from old heavy
pallets will make that drum look like a cherry and ive seen nothing that will stay on it.