PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for my kabob plan

sewerrat
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Having family over this weekend and I'd like to make Kabobs. Here is my plan.
2 different types of Kabobs:
1) Beef, potato chunks, mushrooms, onions
2) Bacon wrapped pork, pineapple, apple, and shrimp (raw).

I plan to cook the bacon a little in the over before wrapping so the bacon can crisp up.

What I'm worried about is: Is there too much stuff that needs different cooking times? I was thinking 20mins at 400 on the bubba key with direct heat. Any other opinions? I plan to marinate the pork in something sweet and the beef in something spicy. Anything I can "drizzle" the kabobs with to enhance flavor?

Thanks Brethern :thumb:

BigButzBBQ
05-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Only two things I can see, potatoes really like to dry up and flake apart if over cooked, while the beef mushrooms and onions should all hold up about the same, the potato is the questionable one maybe by using some really small skin on ones though it'll be easier.
As far as the pork ones go, the smaller you can keep the pork the better your odds of everything cooking evenly, shrimp love to cook fast, so does pineapple. Not sure about the cook time on the apple or if it will hold up.
Don't know if any of this helped but, there's the 2 scents. :becky:

Philly-QueMaster
05-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I always do my kabobs by separating everything on their own skewers. So I have chicken on 1 skewer, beef on 1 skewer, Onion on 1, Peppers on 1, etc. This allows me to cook everything for the proper lenght of time withouth over cooking anything. When everythings done I just pull everything off onto a server platter and people can help themselves to what they want. This way there is less waste as people don't have to a skewer that may have something they don't like on it.

bbqbull
05-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Not to highjack this thread but Alton Brown did a story on kabobs on the food channel last nite.
Might find some good info there.

thirdeye
05-28-2010, 11:03 AM
I always do my kabobs by separating everything on their own skewers. So I have chicken on 1 skewer, beef on 1 skewer, Onion on 1, Peppers on 1, etc. This allows me to cook everything for the proper lenght of time withouth over cooking anything. When everythings done I just pull everything off onto a server platter and people can help themselves to what they want. This way there is less waste as people don't have to a skewer that may have something they don't like on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%209/DSC06691JPGa.jpg

I'm with you man. Those mixed kabobs look pretty, but with the exception of maybe cooking onion petals on a meat kabob, I can't get the mixed stuff to come out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%2011/DSC09478a.jpg

kingsnob
05-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Well I have never done kabobs, but just as an alternative to pork, my Buddy makes Kabob's with Precooked Pork sausage, such as kielbasa, Onions, peppers and apple chunks. He covers the whole thing with Bone Sucking Mustard, and it comes out great, and I am not a big apple person.

Plus using precooked Pork you wouldn't have to worry about it not being done when the Beef is.

John

Philly-QueMaster
05-28-2010, 11:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%209/DSC06691JPGa.jpg

I'm with you man. Those mixed kabobs look pretty, but with the exception of maybe cooking onion petals on a meat kabob, I can't get the mixed stuff to come out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%2011/DSC09478a.jpg

Thirdeye your kabobs look awesome. Thats pretty much how I do mine. Keep the meat and veggies separate.

nzrebel
05-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Another vote for separating the food to their own Kebabs. Wirks great.

Also, to avoid charred flakey potatoes that are not cooked in the middle, preboil some waxy redskins for 10 minutes and allow to cool before putting them on the skewers.

Dave

Grabnabber
05-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Great thread, thanks to all.

Bookmarked! :thumb:

Gore
05-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Having family over this weekend and I'd like to make Kabobs. Here is my plan.
2 different types of Kabobs:
1) Beef, potato chunks, mushrooms, onions
2) Bacon wrapped pork, pineapple, apple, and shrimp (raw).

I do a lot of kabobs and I see you setting yourself up for problems. I was going to recommend Thirdeye for reference, but see that he's already responded.

The cooking times on this are all over the place:
1. The shrimp only need 1-2 minutes per side. You only cook these until the color changes. If you overcook these, they turn to rubber. It is very difficult to cook shrimp with anything else (unless maybe scallops or tomatoes -- things you only want warmish or that are already cooked).
2. The bacon-wrapped pork will need to be cooked much longer
3. I like my beef on the rare - medium-rare side, so not enough to cook potatoes -- you can cook these with the mushrooms and maybe thin onions, but I prefer my onions cooked longer.

Putting things together may look nice, but unless you know your cooking times, you're likely to get some overcooked and some undercooked food. One option is using partially cooked or precooked veggies. The easiest thing is to separate items on different skewers and that is what I do. It doesn't look as nice, but tastes much better.

sewerrat
05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks all .. I'm skipping the shrimp, no good ones at the local supermarket
Separate skewers per suggestions.
Gonna start with potatoes and bacon wrapped pork(bacon slightly cooked)
Wait 5 mins or so.
Add beef, shrooms, onions, and zucchini
Wait 5 mins or so
Add pineapple, apple, and watermelon

I'll let ya know how it turns out!!

Thanks all