PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good recipe for naan and paratha

SmokeJumper
05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm looking for an authentic naan and paratha recipe to cook on my kettle or big green egg. After living in Bombay for several months in 2008 I learned how to make all kinds of Indian dishes but I never learned how to make breads as it was so easy to buy them straight out of the clay ovens at the markets.

We have friends coming over tomorrow night for an Indian themed night and I would like to make everything from scratch. I even made my paneer. I experimented with Steve Raichlin's naan recipe last night and it didn't taste right. Does anybody have a good recipe?

BBQ Grail
05-26-2010, 05:43 PM
My bets on Cowgirl!

deguerre
05-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Or CaliKing but I haven't heard from him in awhile...

landarc
05-26-2010, 06:05 PM
This is based upon a recipe I swiped from my sister’s Madhur Jaffrey recipe book and it works great. I have no idea what caster sugar is, I used natural sugar (the unbleached stuff) run through the grinder for a few seconds to make it finer. The metric measurements are hers too.

Naan Recipe
Madhur Jaffrey
5 ounces hand-hot milk
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tsp dried active yeast
15 ounces plain flour
0.5 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus a little extra
5 ounces natural yogutr
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Put the milk in a bowl. Add 1 tsp of the sugar, and the yeast. Stir to mix. Set aside for 15-20 minutes or until the yeast has dissolved and the mixture is frothy.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the remaining 1 tsp sugar, the yeast mixture, 2 tbsp vegetable oil and the yogurt and egg. Mix and form a ball of dough.

Empty the ball of dough on to a clean surface and knead it for 10 minutes or more, until it is smooth and satiny. Form into a ball. Pour about 1/4 tsp oil into a large bowl and roll the ball of dough in it. Cover the bowl with a piece of cling film and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for an hour or until the dough has doubled in bulk.

Pre-heat kettle to high heat, hot as it will go, with a pizza stone in it. Really hot.

Punch down the dough and knead it again. Divide into 6 equal balls. Keep resting dough balls covered with a moist towel while you work with the one you are working with. Stretch this ball into a tear-shaped naan, about ¼ inch thick or so, similar to a medium pizza dough. Taking the dough in hand, slap it with some force onto the pizza stone, it should start to puff right away, with the cover on, it should also brown on top. Turning should not be necessary. I like to put a little olive oil and kosher salt on top, I think some places put ghee on it.

SmokeJumper
05-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Someday, somehow, I'll stump you landarc. Thanks for the recipe. Looking through the ingredients list, yogurt was one of the key ingredients I was missing to achieve that slight tang. I'll give this a go tonight.

BBQ Grail
05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Someday, somehow, I'll stump you landarc.

Sounds like a potential thread if you ask me.

landarc
05-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I swiped it from my sister, I can also tell you that slapping it onto the side of a kettle does not work. Oh sure, it cooks fine, but the taste :puke:a strong taste of charcoal. Had to try.

SmokeJumper
05-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Funny you mention that. I was going to try the side slap as well. Maybe I'll stick a clean fire brick in vertically so I can get the satisfaction of slapping it onto a vertical surface.

landarc
05-26-2010, 11:45 PM
I was thinking small pizza stone, no cooking grill, lean it from charcoal grill to edge of kettle and get raging coals at one end. Then slapping could occur. But, I have not gotten around to it. Lemme know hot the brick works