PDA

View Full Version : First BB's a let down...

TonyBen
05-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I followed all the instructions I found on making good BB's (I think). It was a large rack of BB's though and I bought them at Wal-Mart for about $15.

I used the 2-1-1 method. I had my daughter pull the membrane and trim the fat (I had a hand surgery the day before). I had her rub the ribs down with PGW pork rub but I may have overdone it.

I set the Traeger on 185 and the indicated temp on the probe and the lid ranged from 220 to 248 and held there for the whole four hours. I slathered the rack with BBQ sauce for the last hour. I picked up the rack and looked for separation and there was a little, so I called it good. I guess being a novice, I didn't recognize that it wasnt' good enough.

My wife didn't really like the overpowering spices and the meat did not pull cleanly off the bone. It had to be gnawed off. They looked beautiful, though. The smoke ring was very nice but the meat was just not cooked enough. Maybe I need to go a little longer or a little hotter next time.

My wife is seeking the BBQ sauce rich flavor. What should I use to season the ribs next time to not be overpowering instead of the pork rub?

On a good note, the corn-on-the-cob was awesome! She really liked it!

landarc
05-24-2010, 09:08 PM
You got close, as always it isn't a science. I think you needed to cook them a little longer. Four hour is not unusual for BB's, but, they are take longer depending on the actual hunk o meat you ended up with. I prefer not to go to crazy with rubs at first, I know what I like, but, I find when cooking for other, it is easy to get rambunctious for some folks taste. Better to ease em up on it. I also like to make sure my rub and sauce match, simpler rub/stronger sauce essentially.

MAB52
05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi TonyBen,
My first BB's were not too good either. One thing about the Traeger rubs is go easy with them. They are a little too salty for us and man it was overpowering, in fact we now use www.texasbbqrub.com (http://www.texasbbqrub.com) for everything. Definately cook them longer or raise the temp. We are doing ours at 325 on the digital temp control or medium now instead of the lower temps. They do look nice though. Oh and another tip is the amount of ribbone that is showing, you are also looking for the meat to pull away from the bones a little more than yours are showing.

devious
05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
try Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicey from the brethern sales and venturs. Its killer on ribs.

blackdog043
05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
I think you just needed to cook a little longer. I personally like the pull when I eat ribs so I don't foil. I have used a kc rib rub and Plow Boys Yardbird then when there almost done I put a thin layer of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce on. Try the Yardbird rub Bass Pro carries it or you could just salt and pepper them and use BBQ sauce at the end.

JamesTX
05-24-2010, 09:42 PM
2-1-1 seems a little short to me. The pic also looks a little underdone to me.

But, one of the first things I'd do is find someplace other than Walmart to get your meat. Their ribs are usually enhanced, which means they've been injected with salt water. Kinds of screws with the taste and texture, in my opinion. Get some good meat elsewhere and try again.

btcg
05-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I followed all the instructions I found on making good BB's (I think). It was a large rack of BB's though and I bought them at Wal-Mart for about $15.

I used the 2-1-1 method. I had my daughter pull the membrane and trim the fat (I had a hand surgery the day before). I had her rub the ribs down with PGW pork rub but I may have overdone it.

I set the Traeger on 185 and the indicated temp on the probe and the lid ranged from 220 to 248 and held there for the whole four hours. I slathered the rack with BBQ sauce for the last hour. I picked up the rack and looked for separation and there was a little, so I called it good. I guess being a novice, I didn't recognize that it wasnt' good enough.

My wife didn't really like the overpowering spices and the meat did not pull cleanly off the bone. It had to be gnawed off. They looked beautiful, though. The smoke ring was very nice but the meat was just not cooked enough. Maybe I need to go a little longer or a little hotter next time.

My wife is seeking the BBQ sauce rich flavor. What should I use to season the ribs next time to not be overpowering instead of the pork rub?

On a good note, the corn-on-the-cob was awesome! She really liked it!

On a positive note, the daughter's cute.

Derek
05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Tony.

Well from here it doesn't look like any failures, And you know what they say?

Practice makes makes perfect! And you can try again!

Meat Burner
05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Hey Tony, you got a good baseline to go from. You know, that practice thing. What are you using to determine when the ribs are done? Time is only a very general guide.

Mr. Bo
05-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Great advice from every one. Something that I find very useful is a cook log for getting things dialed in.

Meat Burner
05-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Great advice from every one. Something that I find very useful is a cook log for getting things dialed in.
Great advise!

Torch
05-24-2010, 11:21 PM
No problem with 4 hours, BUT at 185, that will not work. Try hotter.

CBQ
05-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Try sliding a toothpick in between the bones. If there is resistance, it's not done yet. The clock is a guideline only.

BRBBQ
05-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Thats the hardest judge to please, the wife!

TonyBen
05-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'll let you all know how the next batch turns out. This week, I'm supposed to try pulled pork. I'm definitely going easier on the seasoning.

My next batch of ribs will probably just be a little salt and pepper with BBQ sauce added at the end.

Yakfishingfool
05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Try sliding a toothpick in between the bones. If there is resistance, it's not done yet. The clock is a guideline only.

That is good advice, you are cooking meat, not timing it. It's done when it is done. How to tell if ribs are done, pull back from the bone, very flexible, slight tearing between ribs. Leave them out of foil and look for pull back and color, once there, foil for an hour, maybe two, then back on the smoke and start saucing. As for rubs...I love willy B's bourbon rub. Also try your own, lots of starter recipe's out there. Go with brown sugar, garlic, onion powders, a little cayenne. Simple stuff. make what you like to eat! Scott

1FUNVET
05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
If mama's not happy,aint nobody happy.:becky:
Looks like you needed to cook 'em longer.

vr6Cop
05-25-2010, 10:03 AM
I've always found that with my BGE cooker, 2-2-1 is best for BB's at 250-275 grate temp, while 3-2-1 is a decent guide for spares.

Sometimes with rubs on ribs, less is definitely more.

For your Boston Butt, bump that temp up to 250-275 for about 1.5hrs per pound, and remember: It's BBQ. It's done when it's done. :thumb:

qnbiker
05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
My first ribs were also a little undercooked and had an overpowering taste. In my case, it was too much smoke. If I understand right, lower temp settings on Traegers produce more smoke. A setting of 185 may have given you more than you needed. Just something else to think about. I'm sure your next batch will be great!

When you cook the butt (or picnic) for your pulled pork, don't be afraid to lay on the rub. You'll get better bark, and since you're cooking a much bigger and thicker piece of meat for a longer time, the effect on taste will be more subtle. Good luck!

BluesDaddy
05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I can't add to what anyone else has already written except to emphasize it ain't the clock that counts! Tooth pick and bend test!

kickassbbq
05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
The "Bend Test" works perfecto every time.

landarc
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Um, if you are gonna try pulled pork, which is what I consider to be the best cut to learn BBQ with, take what you learned from the ribs and run with it. Go with a balanced rub, get the heat into the 240F to 250F range and see if you can hold it there. Use something like apple or pecan for a nice mild smoke. I like extra rub and a vinegar sauce added to the pulled pork in small amounts after it is all pulled.

Best of luck with you next cook.

jgh1204
05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
One other thought, make sure you get natural and not saline enhanced ribs. Those look a bit hammy and might have been enhanced which will throw off your flavors.

And I will also say, trust the bend test and not time.

MadKirk
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I'll 2nd the "don't use Wal-Mart ribs" recommendation. I've never had good luck with their ribs.

If you want to try making a rub, this recipe at Amazing Ribs (http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_magic_dust.html) provides a good base that isn't overpowering or real spicy. My kids love it. I found it was a good rub to use when I was learning to use my UDS (OK, I'm still learning!) because it makes up a lot of rub to play with. Try the ribs without sauce, too, and see what kind of reaction you get.

JamesTX
05-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'll let you all know how the next batch turns out. This week, I'm supposed to try pulled pork. I'm definitely going easier on the seasoning.

My next batch of ribs will probably just be a little salt and pepper with BBQ sauce added at the end.

Use a bone-in butt. The bone will tell you exactly when it's done (you'll be able to just pull it out when it's done).

CBQ
05-25-2010, 01:00 PM

To save you the effort of posting the same question next week about the pork: starting checking it with a probe at 190. When the probe slides in smoothly, it's done. This will problably be somewhere around 198 degrees, but use the probe. Exception: don't let it go over 205 unless you like mushy pork. You should rest it for 30 minutes before pulling it.

TonyBen
05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks all, I got the bone-in pork and will check temps and cook until I can twist the bone. :)

K-Barbecue
05-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Do you have a digital controller on your Traeger? I set my Traeger at 250 for ribs. Put an oven thermometer on the center of the rack to verify that your cover thermometer is telling the truth. I usually do baby backs at 2-1-1 on my Traeger but like others have said, they're done when they're done. Like some of the other great advice you've already gotten, be easy on the rub. The toothpick method checking for tenderness works great. Also, when you foil your ribs, add a 1/4 cup of apple juice with each foiled rib.

Good luck and have fun !!

jgarofalo
05-26-2010, 09:23 AM
When you cook the butt (or picnic) for your pulled pork, don't be afraid to lay on the rub. You'll get better bark, and since you're cooking a much bigger and thicker piece of meat for a longer time, the effect on taste will be more subtle. Good luck!

This is a must... And especially for a Butt, it's done when it's done. If dinner is at 6PM, Plan your cooking so it's done @ 4PM. Give yourself a 2 hour window just in case anything happens.