PDA

View Full Version : "Mushy" Boston Butt

The_Kapn
06-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Another new one for me.
Did a Boston Butt. Top rack, 190-220 for 7 hours.
Temp hung at 145 forever. Foiled at 165 and put in 225 oven till meat temp of 195. Wrapped in towel and laid on counter to cool. Too late at night to cooler.
Pulled at 170---MUSHY :evil:
Only way I know to describe it. Not tender, but "over tender" and MUSHY.
Can ya over cook a butt?
I'm lost.
TIM

brdbbq
06-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Think your rump lost it's pump.

Bill-Chicago
06-22-2004, 09:11 AM
I have actually done that on purpose a few times. Kids loved it. They call it butter meat.

BBQchef33
06-22-2004, 01:39 PM
ya didnt say how big it was.... My guess is Too long in the foil. Overcooked and steamed.. like ala crockpot. I use 1:15 mins per lb to guess the cooking time for a butt. If i see I'm going way over the estimate... like I am at 175 when estimated times up, and i know i got plenty to go.... i'll unfoil it for the duration, or close to it..... stops it from steaming and gettin mushy. U say u were at 145 for a long time, thats on the low side to hit the collegen threshold. Maybe that extra time once the collegen broke down that creamed ya..(no pun intended). :)

But im with Bill... i like the butter meat.. this aint no competition...judges aint in my yard. so to me the more tender the better.

Bill-Chicago
06-22-2004, 02:00 PM
I had a boston butt sent up to me cooked in the ground, then frozen and shipped.

First butt I had ever tasted. (Thanks MikeG!)

Reheated, and it was like budda. Awesome.

tommykendall
06-22-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm not convinced you really had mush. I'd charactierize what you had the same as ChiBill and Phil - butter. I do butts to the point where I can drop my fingertips into the meat and it literally falls apart - butter. Now then - if you add too much of Gary's Down South Pig Pickins Sauce (see recipe section) to that - you will then get farked up MUSH.

Stucue74
06-22-2004, 03:40 PM
I agree with Phil, Bill, and TK,

Everyone who tries my pulled pork loves it because it is so tender. Frankly, I really have never had a problem with it being overly tender. How did it taste?

chad
06-22-2004, 03:45 PM
IMHO there is a difference between fall-apart tender and mushy. Both taste ok but mushy just doesn't "feel" right (be careful now!). Most people eating my pulled pork don't mind which but it does bother me to get it over the edge into "mush".

It's a bit like ribs when we talk about "pull" off the bone vs. fall off the bone. Both are good but the texture of the meat is different. And, just like with ribs falling off the bone - mushy pork won't win competitions. However, like Phil says "no judges in my yard". :D

Just my $.02 worth. If it's mushy it just means you left it in the foil and/or cooler a bit too long. It'll still taste great.

Bigmista
06-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Nothing like putting my hands on a tender butt! A mushy butt on the other hand just doesn't feel right.

What?

Huh?

We're talking about BBQ?

Whoops! Wrong forum...

Exit stage left Mod

stlmike
06-23-2004, 07:45 AM
I don't foil my butts at all anymore. I like them readily available to grab. Seriously, 1.25 - 1.50 hours per pound at 225* - 250*, spritizing every now and then with apple juice or apple juice and bourbon mix. Start watching the butt when the thermometer hits around 190* to 195*. Pull when the bone fills like it wants to come out. The one I did last weekend lost about a quarter of the meat came with the bone when I tried to pull it out. Like Phil says, no judges in my backyard, just hungry folks.
Mike

parrothead
06-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Phil, pardon the correction, but you will have 2 judges in your yard this coming weekend.

Jorge
06-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Judges can't drink while performing their duties can they?

stlmike
06-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Judges need to drink to perform their duties.
Drinking mod.

Jorge
06-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Drinking mod.

I've got an ex that shoots that theory to hell :oops: I maintain to this day that IF I'd skipped that last beer.....

BigAl
06-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Drinking mod.

I've got an ex that shoots that theory to hell :oops: I maintain to this day that IF I'd skipped that last beer.....

Bunches of years ago, I came home from the bar, she said "if you come home one drunk one more time, that is it". I said "one more time?" "YES!" As I turned to the door, she said "where are you going?". I replied "back to the Bar". Well it didn't work, she is still here! :?

Bigmista
06-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Bunches of years ago, I came home from the bar, she said "if you come home one drunk one more time, that is it". I said "one more time?" "YES!" As I turned to the door, she said "where are you going?". I replied "back to the Bar". Well it didn't work, she is still here! :?

Sounds like you should have stayed at the bar!

BigAl
06-23-2004, 12:09 PM

Sounds like you should have stayed at the bar!

:roll: I might just try again tonight! 8)