PDA

View Full Version : What if you cut a brisket into rib-like sections?

jgarofalo
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
My wife and I are loving boneless beef ribs on the smoker this season. We can't get enough of them to be honest. Here's what I do with them

Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic pdr, and onion pdr
Smoke for 2 hrs @ 240ish (or more if needed)
Wrap in foil and add beef broth / A1 combo
Back onto smoker for another hour

So, what if you did the same thing with brisket pieces? Anyone ever try that? Would it be a waste of a brisket?

timzcardz
05-24-2010, 11:29 AM
I've never done it, but if I were you I'd give it a try.

Part of the fun of cooking is trying things just because they pop into your head.

I'm betting they they won't come out bad, it's just a matter of how good they come out.

I often try out things for the first time with guests, and make something else too, "just in case." My wife always questions why the "just in case," because I've never had something actually come out bad.

jeffboyette
05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
you would have to cook it to a higher temp to be tender i would think. Cutting it in 1-2 inch slices would result in longer muscle fibers and a texture nothing like you would get from ribs. I would keep the brisket sliced thin, but not falling apart. the flavor is going to the the same whether they are 1/8 or 2 inch, but you need the thin slice to get the tenderness. I dont think it would work.

Chef Jim
05-24-2010, 12:03 PM
I've never done it, but if I were you I'd give it a try.

Part of the fun of cooking is trying things just because they pop into your head.

I'm betting they they won't come out bad, it's just a matter of how good they come out.

I often try out things for the first time with guests, and make something else too, "just in case." My wife always questions why the "just in case," because I've never had something actually come out bad.

Go for it and let us know how you like it!

landarc
05-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Post pics please when you do it. I say what Tim said, go for it and see what happens.

RobKC
05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I think you'd have to smoke pieces that size for no more than an hour and then finish in foil until tender.