PDA

View Full Version : Pull back on Ribs?

Derek
05-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I kind of know what pull back is, But can somebody show me either with a youtube video or pictures, So I can fully understand it?

Braddog
05-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Here's a shot of some spares I did last week. You can get an idea of how much the meat pulled back from the bone.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3526/4612942049_8af49a2ea1.jpg

Cheers, Braddog

Ron_L
05-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Perfect picture to show the pullback! How much pull back will vary from rack to rack.

thirdeye
05-23-2010, 09:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%203/25aa80d9.jpg

Here is a two-for-one on rib terms.... These are buffalo ribs, which like beef ribs will almost always have pull back. Now look at the top rack, notice the three ribs whose length is showing through? That is called bone shine, and usually is the fault of the cutter getting a little close to the face of the bone.

Derek
05-23-2010, 10:35 AM
I get it now, thank you guys.

Vince B
05-23-2010, 10:53 AM
As Ron stated pull back will vary from rack to rack. Some pull back nice while other really do not pull back at all. Not sure if it has something to do with the thickness of the slab or not. Today I'm actually doing a little experiment on my wsm to see if this is true or not.

Sorry for the hijack.....

I know this might be a sin but I actually thinned my slabs out a bit so they are more consistent from end to end. Then rolled them with a skewer stuck in them and place on the sides. Not sure if anyone has done this but I figured I would give it a go and see what happens.

I am cooking low and slow with water in the water pan. :pray: Normally I use a clay pot base in the water pan. However my wsm runs hot so I'm trying to keep the temps down using water. My plans is to smoke for 3 hours and decide if I am going to foil or not. I usually do foil but I see many who never foil their ribs. I'm thinking I might give it a go and see what happens. Currently the lid temp is at 250* with a grate temps of 205. This is after an hour doing a very slow rise in temp. It seems to be working thus far. Wish me luck. Vince

landarc
05-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Good luck Vince. I find that pullback is an unreliable method for determining anything in cooking. But, Vince's experiment should be interesting none the less.

Derek
05-23-2010, 04:51 PM
What do you guys think about this pull back?

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/Food/Saturdays-Rib-Practice/IMG6434/876423790_ZsT46-X3.jpg

Or non existent yet?

Ron_L
05-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Non-existent yet

BTW, you probably resize your picture down to either 640 or 800 pixels wide

Derek
05-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Thank you, Bro

Meat Burner
05-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Here's a pic that is pretty typical. Like above mentioned, it isn't always the same.

Derek
05-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you for pointing it out meat_burner.

sdb25
05-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Why do you care about the pull-back? On my best racks, it tends to be minimal (maybe 1/8"-1/4"). I often see more puill-back on ribs that are overdone (falling off the bone). What matters most are taste, texture, and bite. Smoke ring adds a nice cosmetic effect, but is unnecessary.

Just my $.02.

Vince B
05-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Good luck Vince. I find that pullback is an unreliable method for determining anything in cooking. But, Vince's experiment should be interesting none the less.

Well the test was unconfirmed. Minimal pull back were my results. Not sure if it was from the fact that I did not foil or from rolling them. I'm going to try again in a couple weeks foiling and laying flat to see if it makes a difference. I guess it might just be "it is what it is" thing with ribs and the pull back.

The ribs were smoked 5 hours and I sauced two of the three racks. They had great color and the dry rubbed were very good. This was a first for me as I usually sauce my ribs. However I did find by not foiling these ribs had a very nice pull of the bone or bite as some might say. I find with foiling the fall off the bone effect is more common if that is what you are after. I did achieve a nice smoke ring and to boot some of the best ribs that have come off my smoker!

I believe from trimming the way I did the consistency was very good as far as doneness from end to end of the rack. I find that with most racks one end of the rack is thicker meat wise than on the other. I did pull these straight out of the fridge, added a bit more rub and on the wsm they went. With being cold and the slow rise in temps, my finished product had a very nice smoke ring. With that being said and the great bite that I achieved, this method did work for me.

Another thing I did do for a first time was make a Vinny McRib. I used the trimmings from the racks to make a rib like patty. Then placed them on a very tight weaved rack (almost like a screen) that I normally use to cook veggies on my wsm. This worked very good to keep the meat together and allowed me to flip them without them falling apart. Not sure if McD's presses their meat to make the McRib patty or what not. But my method did work to keep them together.

I type all of this with my head between my legs because there is no proof of this cook. The farken camera battery was dead when I went to take pic's. As I said I plan on doing this again in a couple weeks so I'll make sure to do a proper wright up with pic's!

jeffboyette
05-24-2010, 11:09 AM
take your ribs and roll them up in both directions to stretch them out. once they are loose and flexible then cook them. It loosens up membranes you get more pull back, less curl, and i think a more tender final product.

Sean "Puffy" Coals
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
While pull-back isn't necessary, I think it makes for a better presentation. It's like having a handle on the ribs to make them easier to hold when eating.

Definitely some good info in this thread.

Derek
05-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Why do you care about the pull-back? On my best racks, it tends to be minimal (maybe 1/8"-1/4"). I often see more puill-back on ribs that are overdone (falling off the bone). What matters most are taste, texture, and bite. Smoke ring adds a nice cosmetic effect, but is unnecessary.

Just my $.02.For comps, and pictures. You want to make sure yu can cook first, Then your photography skills take second.

While pull-back isn't necessary, I think it makes for a better presentation. It's like having a handle on the ribs to make them easier to hold when eating.

Definitely some good info in this thread.Thanks guys