PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Flat Cooking Help

Greg60525
05-23-2010, 12:28 AM
It's hard getting packers where I'm at, so I get my flats from Sam's Club (8 - 10 lb range). Actually, today they also had 12, 14 and 15 lb flats...........never seen them that big before! :shock:

I generally smoke at 250°F in an offset smoker using all wood.
What is the best method for cooking a flat to keep it moist and still get it very tender? Is the method different for a flat than it is for a packer?

- What is the best temp?
- Will foiling during the cook help? (should I add a liquid to the foil?)
- If I have to cook too long to get it tender will it dry out?
- Is it better to cook a larger brisket, like one of those monsters that I mentioned above, rather than a smaller one?
- I hold in a preheated cooler. Is a longer hold time better than a shorter hold time?

Thanks,

Bacchus
05-23-2010, 12:38 AM
I have more success going hotter than mid 200's on brisket. They seem jucier at 325-350deg.

Captain Dave
05-23-2010, 06:30 AM
I like the lower temps. Had bad luck with stringy edges at the higher temps. I inject with a beef broth based mixture with some spices, worsteshire, a touch of a1, and have had good moisture in the finished product. Foil at 165 and pour in the remainder of your injection mix.

Brian in Maine
05-23-2010, 07:18 AM
I cook on a WSM, and cook fat side down to 160*, flip it over fat side up, then foil with 1/4 cup of liquid. I then cook it to 195*, and let it sit for at least an hour. This usually gives me a very moist brisket.

barbefunkoramaque
05-23-2010, 07:53 AM
First step is I would find a place that apparently does not carry the freaky size of a brisket flat that weighs more than some packers do. I 10 pound flat (which has the deckle or point removed) must come from some huge assed cow.

juggs
05-23-2010, 08:38 AM
do you cook your brisket to 195 with the temps taken in the skinny flat section 0r at the real thick part , i belive they call the point?

Boshizzle
05-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Patio Daddio has a good technique -

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/02/hot-fast-bbq-beef-brisket.html

Ron_L
05-23-2010, 10:00 AM
12 - 15 lb flats? I have trouble finding 12 - 15 lb packers at times!

A big flat should cook just fine. I do mine fat down since the heat source in my FEC is from below. If you are worried about it drying out, you can inject it or cover it with bacon.

Greg60525
05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Those large flats are rare, generally, they are in the 6 to 8 pound range. I typically try to get 8 pounders.

I also cook fat side down the whole time, as I having tuning plates, which have a lot of radiated heat. I also tend to cook on the bottom grate..........maybe the second grate would be better to avoid drying out??

I check the temp in the thickest part of the brisket (for a flat). If it's a packer, which I rarely get, I still check the temp in the thickest part of the flat, never in the point.

Thanks for all of the advice,