PDA

View Full Version : Help: NC sauce

jimmyinsd
05-19-2010, 11:37 AM
i was in statesville, nc a few years back for work and had some awesome ribs at a restaurant located in of all places... a mall. the ribs actually werent anything special but the sauce was outstanding, and unlike anything my midwestern palate had ever experienced.

i know sauces are fairly regional so is there anybody that could tell me what that sauce might have been. (i asked at the restaurant, but they werent willing to divulge any info) it had kind of a yellowish almost pale green hue and had a dry taste with a hint of mustard. not sweet at all.

i am doing a bunch of chicken this weekend and thought this might be a nice finish. any help would be appreciated.

Westexbbq
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Most likely it was a vinegar-based sauce as per the North Carolina region but then there is a further distinction I understand between the Eastern side of the state and the Western side. Google offers several recipes but my guess is a western/piedmont style with just a tad of mustard.
Hopefully some folks more local will chime in to help clarify.

jgbmgb
05-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Here in eastern NC most of the sauces are vinegar based. When you get west of Raleigh then you start getting into the tomato based sauces. Mustard sauces are found more down in SC rather than in NC. I do have a great mustard based sauce we use on everything from butts to ham sammies to hot dogs. Everyone around here loves it and we make it by the gallons because so many of our friends ask for some after tasting it. I'll try to post the recipe later today after work if interested.

jgbmgb
05-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Here is the thread with the recipe for the mustard sauce. This is a great sauce. I half the cayenne so it's not quite so (bitey)!! Also cook a little longer for a thicker sauce. Hope this helps.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

Philly-QueMaster
05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Here in eastern NC most of the sauces are vinegar based. When you get west of Raleigh then you start getting into the tomato based sauces. Mustard sauces are found more down in SC rather than in NC. I do have a great mustard based sauce we use on everything from butts to ham sammies to hot dogs. Everyone around here loves it and we make it by the gallons because so many of our friends ask for some after tasting it. I'll try to post the recipe later today after work if interested.

I'm definitely interested. There is a guy local to me who sells chicken and ribs on the weekends who has a great bbq sauce. Its a little spicy with some tang to it and I'm pretty sure its mustard based or is a mixture of ketchup and mustard. He's originally from South Carolina.

Patrick

sroxberg
05-19-2010, 10:12 PM
My favorite sauce for Pulled Pork is a vinegar based sauce.

Blues Hog has a sauce call Tennessee Red that is vinegar based and I use it a lot on pulled pork.

jgarofalo
05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
+1

I try to add apple cider vinegar to everything!

jimmyinsd
05-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Here is the thread with the recipe for the mustard sauce. This is a great sauce. I half the cayenne so it's not quite so (bitey)!! Also cook a little longer for a thicker sauce. Hope this helps.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

thanks everybody, i am gonna make this up tonight, thanks for the link and insight. if there are any others feel free to add em, my son lives to try new sauces....he even puts sauce on his fish :icon_sick

bmarley5780
05-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd have to chime in with Georges.

http://www.georgesbbqsauce.com/

jgbmgb
05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
George's is a good base sauce. He lives right up the road from us in Nashville, NC. Nothing is better on pulled pork than a good ole homemade vinegar based eastern NC sauce.

3 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cups catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes

Put in a large container and shake up good. Put in ref. for several hours to marry everything together good. take out of fridge, give a good shake and you're ready to go!! Smoked pulled pork, homemade slaw, and this sauce on a good bun!! Makes me grool just thinking bout it! Think I'm gonna thaw out a butt now!!!!!!!