PDA

View Full Version : Q`ed STEAK !

Qczar
06-16-2004, 06:30 PM
I don`t know what`s it`s like to eat steak in Texas, or other surrounding parts. But, I did Q about 12 lbs of filet minion at about 150 for 1 hrs with some hickory and mesquite. Then, froze separate portions for later use. The first time I cooked one I grilled it a bit too long. Still was very tender but not as juicy and rare. Tonight I grilled one again. Heated up the grill with a couple layers of foil to get it good and hot. Seared each side for 8 minutes and served. Serious STEAK !

I know this topic came up once and again, but anyone thinking of doing it, do it!

After I gave a few portions away and ate some, I have 7 lbs to go!

................ Xczar

Trout_man22
06-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Steak looks good but what is that big green moldy thing behind it? :lol:

hornbri
06-16-2004, 09:29 PM
I was wondering the same thing

tommykendall
06-17-2004, 06:54 AM
what is that big green moldy thing behind it?

Ghia pet mod. Great looking steak. Now I want steak and eggs.

Trout_man22
06-17-2004, 07:08 AM
I was thinking why anyone would waste a good piece of meat to cover the taste of Broccoli ?

kcquer
06-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Greedy, That's awesome looking plate! Don't listen to anybody that would give you any crap about that broccoli its not over done and looks quite tasty. Only thing I would add is some sauted mushrooms, on the side please.
Damn that steak looks good!!

brdbbq
06-17-2004, 09:34 AM
add is some sauted mushrooms

You can burry the mushroosm next to the rice.

kcquer
06-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Brian, you sure your name isn't Mikey? You hate everything! :P

brdbbq
06-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Mushroooms and rice is your world you the one with a problem. :lol:

Qczar
06-17-2004, 03:09 PM

That so called green thing is to help have the steak leave my body as plesantly as it entered!

BigAl
06-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Great looking steak! Wish I had one like that right now!

brdbbq
06-17-2004, 03:44 PM

That so called green thing is to help have the steak leave my body as plesantly as it entered!

Schafer Mod

The_Kapn
06-17-2004, 04:33 PM
xczar,
I was the one who asked the question earlier about smoked steaks.
What an answer :!: :!: And photo to match.
Damn, I'm hungry now. Gotta try one of those.
Now, to figure out how to build a 150 degree fire :shock:
Thanks,
TIM

Solidkick
06-17-2004, 06:46 PM
add is some sauted mushrooms

You can burry the mushroosm next to the rice.

1. You must have been a vegatarian in a previous life.......... :mrgreen:

I'll stop there......I had a whole list of Brian bashes in my head, but I think it's just cause I'm in a pissy mood and there's no sense taking it out on the innocent. :twisted:

Qczar
06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
xczar,
I was the one who asked the question earlier about smoked steaks.
What an answer :!: :!: And photo to match.
Damn, I'm hungry now. Gotta try one of those.
Now, to figure out how to build a 150 degree fire :shock:
Thanks,
TIM

Tim, ........... I only have the experiance of trying this one time, ..... so far. But my thinking was:

At the start of my last Q session, I loaded up my water pan with cold water instead of hot. And used a half can of briquet charoal to get things going untill I added wood chunks. I had the filet`s coated with a mollassas/soy sauce mixture and patted with seasonings. My thinking was to give it a good shot of smoke for 1 hrs, trying not to cook the meat too much. At the start of this 1 hrs period the temps were very cool, under 100. When the filet`s came out they seemed to be still very raw. Soft like raw meat. I let them cool on the counter before I vacumm sealed them for the freezer. There was plenty of juice from the meat before freezing and after thawing. I used this as a marinade after I first filpped the meat on the grill.

The filet`s were very thick, 2". In hopes that the center`s would still be raw before grilling. I grilled them twice so far. Last time for 18 minutes. Close to perfect. Next time I`ll try grilling them for 10-15 minutes. Though they were the most tender steaks you could imagine, I was looking to keep the center`s pink. As it`s turning out, especially with the last steak pictured, much of a pink color is not necassary. Serious flavor and texture with the outside grilled.

Could not imagine a better tasting steak anywhere! This Bandera thing is addicting.

................. Xczar

The_Kapn
06-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Could not imagine a better tasting steak anywhere! This Bandera thing is addicting.
Amen to the Addicting, Bro xczar :D
Thanks for the detailed "recipe". Gotta try that next time.
TIM