05-16-2010, 10:21 PM
I want to learn to weld. That simple.

Do I start with:
1) Acetylene Oxygen torch
2) Stick
3) MIG

HHpepper
05-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I started on a stick welder, then wire, MIG, and TIG. What are you gonna be welding mostly, the will determine what welder you need?

Sammy_Shuford
05-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Small stuff, no bigger that 3/4 angle iron.

moocow
05-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Mig all the way if you have no skills. Stick welding will be to hot for a drum and thin materials and a tig setup with argon is very expensive. Forget about the gas welding.

Timmy
05-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Uhmmmmm, so that Sammy is not confused, mig welding does use gas. !00% CO2 is common but so is 80/20 CO2 / Argon.
Anyway, start with the mig (also called GMAW, solid wire etc). Not to tough to get going with it. Let us know what equipment you get.
Also, ask more question if needed.

deathamphetamine
05-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Uhmmmmm, so that Sammy is not confused, mig welding does use gas. !00% CO2 is common but so is 80/20 CO2 / Argon.
Anyway, start with the mig (also called GMAW, solid wire etc). Not to tough to get going with it. Let us know what equipment you get.
Also, ask more question if needed.
WHAT??! If he buys a Flux core he would not need gas. Right? I mean i have a lincoln electric flux core, 120v .... no extra tank for gas.... just plug it in to a regular outlet and off she goes. I have welded 1/4" with it. Please explain needing argon.

deathamphetamine
05-16-2010, 11:46 PM
I'd have to say go with a 120v Flux core if your doing smaller stuff. Mine works great for lighter gauge material.

antoant
05-16-2010, 11:47 PM
WHAT??! If he buys a Flux core he would not need gas. Right?

That's correct. If you use a flux core wire you don't need gas but you get better welds with gas and regular wire.

@OP MIG is by far the easiest method to learn. To a beginner it looks and feels like point and shoot, and that makes it easy to pick-up. Just remember to always thoroughly clean the pieces that you are welding and listen for the sound of "sizzling bacon" which tells you that you are probably doing ok.

Stick welding requires more dexterity than MIG and OA is hard because you have to adjust the flame and it requires that you can use both hands at the same time.

righteousdog
05-17-2010, 08:27 AM
also recommend thinner wire for sheet or lightweight...at least that what i've found works for me

Big_T_BBQ
05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
MIG is the easiest to pick up and do - Oxy/Acet is probably the cheapest and works really well on thin materials and you can get a tank kit at home depot for 300-350ish.

WabbitSwayer
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I would definitely recommend using gas with your mig. Having cut off two quarter panels on my bronco, one side I used flux core because I didn't have the guages and tank for gas. Struggled not getting burn throughs (on older 16GA metal, not the newer thin stuff) and having some heat warp issues because of that. Once I switched to 80/20 gas with .23 solid wire, I didn't have any burn through issues, almost no splatter, and much nicer, cleaner welds without heat shrink/warpage issues. I even prefer the gas with thicker stuff, it is just a nicer weld.

jswordy
05-17-2010, 03:37 PM
MIG is easiest. Even pretty crappy MIG welds will hold if the heat range is right, and slag is not a big problem. Burn holes, should you get them, are easier to patch with MIG.

MIG gas/solid wire is the way to go if you can, but flux core and a cheapo no gas MIG can still do a good job with practice. The flux can make it hard to prep for paint adhesion, though.

The main thing with MIG is not to be afraid to get the tip down there right close to the metal, so the gas can shield properly. That is why the tip and shroud are called "consumables."

If you eventually end up with a MIG and a torch set, you will have all you need to do 90% of welding jobs. Many higher-end MIG welders are convertible to aluminum welding, too, with add-ons.

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Welders-Handbook-Complete-Oxyacetylene-Welding/dp/1557882649/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274128586&sr=8-2

jswordy
05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
I would definitely recommend using gas with your mig. Having cut off two quarter panels on my bronco, one side I used flux core because I didn't have the guages and tank for gas. Struggled not getting burn throughs (on older 16GA metal, not the newer thin stuff) and having some heat warp issues because of that. Once I switched to 80/20 gas with .23 solid wire, I didn't have any burn through issues, almost no splatter, and much nicer, cleaner welds without heat shrink/warpage issues. I even prefer the gas with thicker stuff, it is just a nicer weld.

The ol bodyman sez back your joints with copper while you are welding. It helps a lot with all those issues you had. The heat warp can further be helped by stitch welding.

mbshop
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
start with gas. learn the basics. gas is also very versatile in doing a lot of other things. then if you find yerself doing a lot of welding then go to whatever will fit the bill, tig mig, etc.

jestridge
05-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Mig welding the only way to go for home projects. I tell my students a monkey can mig weld.

got14u
05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
If you want to learn how to weld I would start with gas....It teaches you all the motor skills needed for all the other welding processes. Like controlling your puddle and seeing the welding area...It's cheap and versatile. As for mig everyone thinks they can mig weld but that is not the case there are alot of variables to welding besides running a stringer across a piece of metal...Most mig welds don't have the right amount of penetration. If you are going to try mig make sure to get a set-up that allows you to use gas...especially for welding on thinner material. Flux core(non gas needing wire) is deep penetrating and will burn through a lot of thinner material, especially with a beginner. Solid wire (which needs gas) is a lot better to work with and is easier on the thinner gauge material...Now the type of gas you get if you decide to go that route is up to you...CO2 will be cheaper but also gives you more spatter and a more erratic arc. It also penetrates deeper then say a argon mix...I personally like a argon mix, it controls spatter and the arc nicely...good luck on what ever you decide!!!!

bmarley5780
05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I have the Dual MIG from Harbor Freight with coupon = 150$. Running CO2 with it. 3/16" will weld no problem. With this machine you can go without gas or with so you can upgrade once you feel like it...
also have their auto darkening helmet - 40$

Both are great buys for me.

bmarley5780
05-18-2010, 09:12 AM
And yes CO2 is splattery but I' not entering my smoker into a beauty contest either. Nothing a grinding wheel cant take care of too.

got14u
05-18-2010, 09:32 AM
and this is what solid can look like with gas
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/got14u5150/smoker%20build/DSC_01030002.jpg

Timmy
05-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Well I am not the worlds foremost authority on welding, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :bow: At the risk of stirring the pot I believe a few items need to be corrected for the benefit of the original poster.

MIG = Metal Inert Gas
When using MIG (also called solid wire, GMAW) some type of shielding gas is always required.

When using a "TRUE" flux core (also called cored wire, FCAW) gas is not needed nor required as the flux in the core of the wire acts as the shielding gas while welding. But as not to confuse others, there is also a metal cored wire that does require gas shielding but it is actually classified as a GMAW wire (I know ...TMI, TMI)

Mig and flux core are not the same welding processes.
OK, down from the soap box. :tape:

blues_n_cues
05-18-2010, 10:05 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/got14u5150/smoker%20build/DSC_01030002.jpg

thats a beautiful weld.:thumb:

Big_T_BBQ
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Nice bead! :thumb:

jestridge
05-18-2010, 11:19 AM
That mig weld looks like it have been trigger, In competion that isn't allowed.

got14u
05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
spot on advice here !!!!Well I am not the worlds foremost authority on welding, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :bow: At the risk of stirring the pot I believe a few items need to be corrected for the benefit of the original poster.

MIG = Metal Inert Gas
When using MIG (also called solid wire, GMAW) some type of shielding gas is always required.

When using a "TRUE" flux core (also called cored wire, FCAW) gas is not needed nor required as the flux in the core of the wire acts as the shielding gas while welding. But as not to confuse others, there is also a metal cored wire that does require gas shielding but it is actually classified as a GMAW wire (I know ...TMI, TMI)

triggered ??? you mean stitch welded??? and no it wasn't just a simple weave pattern.other wise there would be little round circles on every mound..sorry back to topic !!!That mig weld looks like it have been trigger, In competion that isn't allowed.

UDS
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
flux core is some hot messy ****, I would spend the extra 100 bucks and buy a small bottle of gas. I only use flux core when I absolutely have to, outside><

deathamphetamine
05-18-2010, 06:23 PM
MIG is easiest. Even pretty crappy MIG welds will hold if the heat range is right, and slag is not a big problem. Burn holes, should you get them, are easier to patch with MIG.

MIG gas/solid wire is the way to go if you can, but flux core and a cheapo no gas MIG can still do a good job with practice. The flux can make it hard to prep for paint adhesion, though.

The main thing with MIG is not to be afraid to get the tip down there right close to the metal, so the gas can shield properly. That is why the tip and shroud are called "consumables."

If you eventually end up with a MIG and a torch set, you will have all you need to do 90&#37; of welding jobs. Many higher-end MIG welders are convertible to aluminum welding, too, with add-ons.

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Welders-Handbook-Complete-Oxyacetylene-Welding/dp/1557882649/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274128586&sr=8-2

Good advice!:eusa_clap

That roll of dimes is phenominal!!!

deathamphetamine
05-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Well I am not the worlds foremost authority on welding, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :bow: At the risk of stirring the pot I believe a few items need to be corrected for the benefit of the original poster.

MIG = Metal Inert Gas

Copy that, thanks! .......... Anyone wanna buy a lincoln flux core? :doh:

tjj
05-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Sammy

Try this link. Learn all you can before buying. One tip, buy quality and buy once.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php

HHpepper
05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I mainly do TIG myself and I use argon and/or helium depending on what I am welding.

PS. I have a full face Miller Elite Flame helmet for sale. Like new.

mrice2311
05-18-2010, 10:15 PM
I would start with a MIG Flux Core Welder. You can pick up a cheap one (that works) at Harbor Freight. Practice a bit on some scrap and you will be able to run a decent bead. It takes a bit more practice with a stick welder, tougher to start your bead with.

bmarley5780
05-19-2010, 04:13 AM
http://weldingweb.com/