PDA

View Full Version : It's time for a change in KCBS

Jorge
05-14-2010, 08:32 AM
I made a suggestion based on frustration yesterday, that I'm not unhappy about this morning. Post #51 in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84400&page=4

I pretty much gave up on the BoD several months ago. After 24 hrs. I think it's a better idea now, than it was then.

As a member, I've become frustrated with the continued bickering that has been public and private. I'm tired of the email campaigns about 'so and so did this', or 'they are going to....', that are based on rumor or leaked information. I appreciate those members that have chosen to spend time and money to serve on the board. It's a thankless job, for sure. Unfortunately, it seems to have mirrored our elected leadership in Washington. It's now a blood sport in so many ways. It's a vicious cycle, that I don't see a break in unless the membership does something about it.

The solution that I'm offering, is to start cleaning house. I will not, under any circumstances vote for any candidate that has served on the board within the previous 5 years. I want to elect a member that has fresh eyes, new ideas, and is eager to work for the benefit of the organization and the membership. 4-5 new members, that are free of established alliances can make a difference in the direction and tone of the meetings.

The partnership that was recently announced is an example of some of the opportunities that are out there. I applaud the current board and MMA of making that happen. I would like to see the next board able to focus on other partnerships, and how to best take advantage of those opportunities without being encumbered by political gamesmanship. There are opportunities to improve or expand education and the promotion of BBQ, as well as enhance competition. To truly take advantage of those opportunities, requires a board that's able to work together and focus on what's important to the membership.

As members, we get the representation that we deserve. If, as a group, we send the message that we are tired of the way things have been handled we are justified in expecting a change. If we don't get the change we desire we need to send the message again. At the end of 2 years that's a potential change in 9 seats, and a voting majority. Speaking for myself, at the end of that period of time I'm comfortable with voting with my feet and wallet and leaving KCBS if it's still a political game with the same bickering.

That's my solution. I'd welcome any feedback, and any help anyone would be willing to offer. When you are at a contest, take a few minutes to talk to other teams. If you are judging, then take a moment to talk to other judges about making a change. Share the idea on other forums you may belong to.

I appreciate the time you've taken out of your day, to read my rant:laugh:

bigabyte
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Other than being a KCBS member who can vote, I don't really have a dog in the fight. I agree that from the outside, where I sit, things look ugly as you describe. There are a lot of votes and fights on issues that really are not important to keeping KCBS running well from my perspective. I believe your method is a very reasonable solution to that problem.

Now, let's wait for the eventual response from someone saying that we are too small to see the big picture and have no clue what the real issues are and we should shut up. I can't wait to hear that one.

monty3777
05-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Jorge,

Though we have never met I have come to have a lot of respect for you based on how you serve on these forums. I do want to push you a bit on your post but my response is not intended to challenge your integrity. It's just my thoughts :thumb:

I understand that there is some drama in the BoD. Quite honestly I find it all a bit silly. However, I wonder how we can conclude that because there is drama and some childish behavior in the board room those who serve on the BoD at this time should simply be replaced? The fact is that KCBS is growing at an alarming rate - and the contests are bringing in record numbers of people. Why would anyone want to replace leadership at a time when all the indicators suggest that things are running well - even if the process itself is like making sausage? The fact is I don't care if the process is ugly - I concentrate on the final results.

If we can conclude that the BoD is unable to perform their tasks then by all means let's "vote them all out." But it seems to me that things are going pretty well, all things considered.

This forum has to take some of the responsibility for what's happening in the BoD. Folks with some pretty obvious agendas seem to have a lot at stake in tearing the BoD apart. Lots of second guessing, heresay, and false or misleading accusations get slung around on the Brethren. Maybe we should clean up our own house before dismantling the BoD.

All right - what do I know? I hope you all read this in the spirit in which I offer it to you. Peace.

Nate

Jorge
05-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Jorge,

Though we have never met I have come to have a lot of respect for you based on how you serve on these forums. I do want to push you a bit on your post but my response is not intended to challenge your integrity. It's just my thoughts :thumb:

I understand that there is some drama in the BoD. Quite honestly I find it all a bit silly. However, I wonder how we can conclude that because there is drama and some childish behavior in the board room those who serve on the BoD at this time should simply be replaced? The fact is that KCBS is growing at an alarming rate - and the contests are bringing in record numbers of people? Why would anyone want to replace leadership at a time when all the indicators suggest that things are running well - even if the process itself is like making sausage? The fact is I don't care if the process is ugly - I concentrate on the final results.

If we can conclude that the BoD is unable to perform their tasks then by all means let's "vote them all out." But it seems to me that things are going pretty well, all things considered.

This forum has to take some of the responsibility for what's happening in the BoD. Folks with some pretty obvious agendas seem to have a lot at stake in tearing the BoD apart. Lots of second guessing, heresay, and false or misleading accusations get slung around on the Brethren. Maybe we should clean up our own house before dismantling the BoD.

All right - what do I know? I hope you all read this in the spirit in which I offer it to you. Peace.

Nate

I offered my solution, in part, because I AGREE with a lot of what you've pointed out.

Some of the heresay, accusations, and half truths are starting with the BoD. Somebody shares something in confidence, and it ends up getting repeated. I've had stuff filter down that I know came from different camps on the board. That is part of the political gamesmanship I referred to.

While things appear to be running well, and I will agree that lots of good things are happening, I don't believe that the bickering that has gone on in public, in private, and been leaked contributes to an environment that allows the board and to make the most of opportunities that are there now and will be in the future. The board has been spending too much time on political BS, and not enough time on strategic planning and execution of the same to take advantage of the window that is currently open. There are wounds, and alliances that I don't see dissipating without a dramatic change. That's not a BoD I want managing the dramatic growth and opportunity that we agree exists.

I want a Board of Directors, and not a Board of Managers.

As a forum moderator, I'll take some of the heat for a valid point you've made. Everybody is right on the internet, and it's easy to voice discontent with authority from a keyboard. I get it and agree.

I appreciate the feedback and your perspective! I'm making my case, and I WANT/NEED to hear dissenting opinions.

Scottie
05-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I offered my solution, in part, because I AGREE with a lot of what you've pointed out.

Some of the heresay, accusations, and half truths are starting with the BoD. Somebody shares something in confidence, and it ends up getting repeated. I've had stuff filter down that I know came from different camps on the board. That is part of the political gamesmanship I referred to.

While things appear to be running well, and I will agree that lots of good things are happening, I don't believe that the bickering that has gone on in public, in private, and been leaked contributes to an environment that allows the board and to make the most of opportunities that are there now and will be in the future. The board has been spending too much time on political BS, and not enough time on strategic planning and execution of the same to take advantage of the window that is currently open. There are wounds, and alliances that I don't see dissipating without a dramatic change. That's not a BoD I want managing the dramatic growth and opportunity that we agree exists.

I want a Board of Directors, and not a Board of Managers.

As a forum moderator, I'll take some of the heat for a valid point you've made. Everybody is right on the internet, and it's easy to voice discontent with authority from a keyboard. I get it and agree.

I appreciate the feedback and your perspective! I'm making my case, and I WANT/NEED to hear dissenting opinions.

Jorge in 2011...

Oh and I decided not to go to Shannon... :boxing:

Bentley
05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I made a suggestion based on frustration yesterday, that I'm not unhappy about this morning. Post #51 in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84400&page=4

I appreciate the time you've taken out of your day, to read my rant

It is not a rant.

As I said earlier, when people like youself will start to step forward I believe it will make a difference. I was not going to renew in 2011. I will give you that same 2 year commitment to KCBS that you are making. And come 2013, assuming the Mayans are not correct, will make further decisions regarding KCBS at that time.

Scottie
05-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Jorge in 2011...

Oh and I decided not to go to Shannon... :boxing:

After a PM from a certain mod, who will go nameless.... I am retracting this ill advised comment... Jorge sucks and I personally wouldn't recommend him for the BOD... So I will start a "Vote No to Jorge" campaign. :redface: :doh: :thumb:

On the subject matter. I agree. It's all getting old. We kept hearing about the rallying cry of everyone in the last election, making such a point of how they were 'cooks'... Honestly, I do not know how this kind of stuff helps us 'cooks'...

Big George's BBQ
05-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Jorge very well said. I have to agree with your statement and method of solution

JD McGee
05-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Fortunately we are not affected much by KCBS out here in the left hand corner...but I am a member...I do have a vote. I base my vote on the climate within this forum.

That said...I'm not a big fan of political bickering...PERIOD! If a decision is made by a majority...deal with it...one tie...all tie...:cool:

Jorge has my vote...go get 'em brother smoker! :thumb:

Ford
05-14-2010, 04:07 PM
While I agree with your idea I'm afraid some practical concerns may impact it. For example MMA has a contract with the KBCS. I have not read but from what I've gleamed talking with many BOD members over the past 2 years it knid of looks like they have a lot of power to negotiate the deal and bring it to the BOD for approval.

So if the SAMS deal was for a TOY and a number of "special SAMS contests" and other stuff like member discounts or new meats being carried in stores or some cash directly to the KCBS for providing demos at stores well that's the deal. Now MMA negotiated it and the BOD is left with take it or we go public that KCBS turned down a half million deal with SAMS. NOT saying this is what happened but I listened to the April podcast and it was clear the BOD had no idea what the deal was but it was nearly completed. Now some members may have known more than others but that's just speculation on my part. And please note that while MMA also represents a number of cooks and others asscoiated with BBQ I'm sure that they would never do something against the best interests of the KCBS to please another client.

PimpSmoke
05-14-2010, 05:59 PM
I think the first step here is maybe informing the members that they have a vote. I'm pretty slow, so I was not aware that I could vote on such matters.

Sometimes with bigger organizations, members assume there are area reps that vote on BoD stuff, not membership as a whole.

Jorge
05-15-2010, 07:48 AM
While I agree with your idea I'm afraid some practical concerns may impact it. For example MMA has a contract with the KBCS. I have not read but from what I've gleamed talking with many BOD members over the past 2 years it knid of looks like they have a lot of power to negotiate the deal and bring it to the BOD for approval.

So if the SAMS deal was for a TOY and a number of "special SAMS contests" and other stuff like member discounts or new meats being carried in stores or some cash directly to the KCBS for providing demos at stores well that's the deal. Now MMA negotiated it and the BOD is left with take it or we go public that KCBS turned down a half million deal with SAMS. NOT saying this is what happened but I listened to the April podcast and it was clear the BOD had no idea what the deal was but it was nearly completed. Now some members may have known more than others but that's just speculation on my part. And please note that while MMA also represents a number of cooks and others asscoiated with BBQ I'm sure that they would never do something against the best interests of the KCBS to please another client.

Fair point. I do not know the details of the proposed deal with Sam's Club. I used that simply to illustrate the potential that is out there that could benefit the organization and the membership.

I think this topic alone may be worthy of a separate thread.

Plowboy
05-15-2010, 08:53 AM
After a PM from a certain mod, who will go nameless.... I am retracting this ill advised comment... Jorge sucks and I personally wouldn't recommend him for the BOD... So I will start a "Vote No to Jorge" campaign. :redface: :doh: :thumb:

You are weak!

Scottie
05-15-2010, 02:31 PM
You are weak!

You should of seen the PM!!! All I'll say when you go to sleep with your Barbie blanky at Shannon, I'd sleep with one eye open.... I'm just saying.... ;)

Plowboy
05-15-2010, 10:02 PM
You should of seen the PM!!! All I'll say when you go to sleep with your Barbie blanky at Shannon, I'd sleep with one eye open.... I'm just saying.... ;)

First I got a PM calling me a Rat Bastard. Then a threatening text message today. You may be right.

The_Kapn
05-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Jorge and I spoke of this thread on the phone (among several other topics) as he developed it.

I told him I would "Ponder" any responce I had---that is just the way I am.

So, I have been Pondering for a day or two.

This morning, a thread was started here that solved the Pondering for me.

It is time for all of the old guard to go from the BOD and to get back to just representing the membership and quit playing games.
Political posturing on-line is just BS! :mad2:

I am with Jorge on this one.

And--I do not want him on the BOD!
So far, he is sane and I want to keep him that way! :-D

TIM

monty3777
05-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Jorge, after reading another thread I think I see where you are coming from. Count me in!

ZILLA
05-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Jorge, Voting with your feet will be easy! Just turn around and look south!

barbefunkoramaque
05-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Jorge, you and I do not see Eye to Eye with... no, wait, in fact we hate each other.
However.......... based on what I know about you, I would actually REJOIN KCBS to vote you in. I think you would make a great leader!I will go on record as someone you but heads with all the time, I totally agree with you 100%.

Frankly. Texas should officially secede from KCBS entirely.

ZILLA
05-16-2010, 03:14 PM
That wouldn't be hard. One KCBS cook in Texas! :thumb:

LindaM
05-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Jorge, you and I do not see Eye to Eye with... no, wait, in fact we hate each other.
However.......... based on what I know about you, I would actually REJOIN KCBS to vote you in. I think you would make a great leader!I will go on record as someone you but heads with all the time, I totally agree with you 100%.

Frankly. Texas should officially secede from KCBS entirely.

One person cannot make a difference. Trust me I know from experience.

The Turk
05-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Jorge and I spoke of this thread on the phone (among several other topics) as he developed it.

I told him I would "Ponder" any responce I had---that is just the way I am.

So, I have been Pondering for a day or two.

This morning, a thread was started here that solved the Pondering for me.

It is time for all of the old guard to go from the BOD and to get back to just representing the membership and quit playing games.
Political posturing on-line is just BS! :mad2:

I am with Jorge on this one.

And--I do not want him on the BOD!
So far, he is sane and I want to keep him that way! :-D

TIM

I think the problem is not the entire old guard of the BOD. There are some very good folks in the old guard. There is also ONE or two who think they own KCBS and that they can micro manage it and control it.

Plowboy
05-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I think the problem is not the entire old guard of the BOD. There are some very good folks in the old guard. There is also ONE or two who think they own KCBS and that they can micro manage it and control it.

The list of "Good Folks" varies depending on who you query.

Brauma
05-16-2010, 06:46 PM
As someone who is very actively supporting GOOOH (http://goooh.com/home.aspx) in the national elections, I love your idea, Jorge. I let my membership in KCBS drop after the last elections but I would be willing to sign back up before December if this idea seems to get some traction.

Jeff, are you considering running again?

Bentley
05-16-2010, 06:53 PM
There's appx 14K members on this site...I would venture to guess less than 5% are members of KCBS...You could effect some serious change in who is voted in at KCBS if you could just get 25% of the folks of this forum to become members AND vote.

landarc
05-16-2010, 07:00 PM
It could be that the kind of bickering and politics we see on forums like this is what keeps people from joining.

Sledneck
05-16-2010, 07:03 PM
KCBS should have a money back guarantee on membership. Or at least a pro-rated refund so you can cancel your membership early.......

Rookie'48
05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
... if you could just get 25% of the folks of this forum to become members AND vote.

The problem seems to be apathy (or pure damn laziness). What was the percentage of eligable voters who cast an electronic ballot in the last KCBS election? How much easier can it be ..... you click on a link, enter a password, make your choices & you're finished in less than 5 minutes.

Maybe we should do something like the ink-stained thumb when you vote. Then before you're allowed to bitch about anything you have to show your thumb - no ink = no right to complain!

I hope that all of these indignant feelings are remembered when the next election comes up, and I hope that somewhat more than a paltry 20% bother to vote.

YankeeBBQ
05-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I agree that a change is needed but not that the complete board needs to be overturned. Rather than change just for the sake of change I have decided to commit the time to listen to each recorded board meeting and base my votes on what I hear first hand. I just finished listening to the April meeting and found it to be very eye opening. I suggest that others do the same.

Jeff_in_KC
05-16-2010, 11:59 PM
As someone who is very actively supporting GOOOH (http://goooh.com/home.aspx) in the national elections, I love your idea, Jorge. I let my membership in KCBS drop after the last elections but I would be willing to sign back up before December if this idea seems to get some traction.

Jeff, are you considering running again?

It has been a topic of conversation around a few cook camps already. I'll let you know later on this summer. Right now, I'm focusing on competing and turning in the best food I can.

Jorge
05-17-2010, 08:17 AM
I agree that a change is needed but not that the complete board needs to be overturned. Rather than change just for the sake of change I have decided to commit the time to listen to each recorded board meeting and base my votes on what I hear first hand. I just finished listening to the April meeting and found it to be very eye opening. I suggest that others do the same.

Great point. I listen to the podcast as time allows while I work, and it has been pretty eye opening for me as well.

I think what I'm proposing is more than change, simply for the sake of change. A former board member recently told me that they used to watch candidates declare that they'd fight the good fight if elected, and then fall into line pretty quickly once they were seated on the board.

I'm a firm believer that one talented and dedicated person CAN make a difference. I also believe that it becomes easier with additional numbers. Five new members this year has the potential to immediately change the atmosphere in the board room. Whatever alliances or grudges existed are diminished.

Jorge
05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I need to address another issue.

Scottie and Plowboy have had a good time yanking my chain about nominating me. That's all it is! I am not a viable candidate for numerous reasons: I get away to cook with friends a couple of times per year at best, I don't have the name recognition, and most importantly I don't have enough time even if I were a viable candidate.

While I appreciate the email and PMs from people asking if I'm going to run, the answer is NO:laugh::becky: There are other members that are much more qualified that have a lot more to offer KCBS.

bigabyte
05-17-2010, 09:26 AM
:sad:

Scottie
05-17-2010, 11:52 AM
blah blah blah blah...:boxing:

Jorge
05-17-2010, 11:56 AM
blah blah blah blah...:boxing:

I heard a rumor, that Dripping Springs....just dried up. Hope that doesn't hurt your cook this weekend!:shock::-P

Gowan
05-17-2010, 11:57 AM
It could be that the kind of bickering and politics we see on forums like this is what keeps people from joining.

Nah.

99% of KCBS members don't visit BBQ forums.

Muzzlebrake
05-17-2010, 11:59 AM
While I appreciate the email and PMs from people asking if I'm going to run, the answer is NO:laugh::becky: There are other members that are much more qualified that have a lot more to offer KCBS.

I'm calling bullchit on that. Some of your other points may be valid, but I don't believe for one minute you are any less qualified than anyone else here.

I can believe you don't have the time (who really does have time for a thankless unpaid position?) or the desire but you are more than qualified.

Scottie
05-17-2010, 12:00 PM
I heard a rumor, that Dripping Springs....just dried up. Hope that doesn't hurt your cook this weekend!:shock::-P

Oh no... You misunderstood. That was in no means directed towards you.... I would never do that... :thumb:

Dustaway
05-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh come on Jorge don't sell yourself so short you could do the job.

Take it from someone who knows it's a great way to loss the friends you thought you had and gain all the enemies you can stand:thumb:

Scottie
05-17-2010, 12:35 PM
I am deciding to walk away with my can of gasoline... These PM's are getting too numerous for me... You guys can recruit all you want. I'm mum... :tape:

Jorge
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Mess with Jorge day is over!:becky:

In all seriousness folks, I'd really like to see this thread return to the issue of KCBS.

Muzzlebrake
05-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Im not messing with you at all. I really believe you are more than qualified to do an outstanding job. Why you or anyone else would want to do it escapes me, but Im glad there are people that do. The whole idea of it seems very Catch 22 to me. I completely understand not having enough time, I imagine the time demands to do a good job would be overwhelming.

Let me ask this, if you aren't qualified, who is? Without putting you on the spot for a name, what skills are you looking for in a candidate that you think you lack?

Hey Im not trying to recruit you here, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. The "I'm not qualified" argument isn't working though. We know better.

Jorge
05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Im not messing with you at all. I really believe you are more than qualified to do an outstanding job. Why you or anyone else would want to do it escapes me, but Im glad there are people that do. The whole idea of it seems very Catch 22 to me. I completely understand not having enough time, I imagine the time demands to do a good job would be overwhelming.

Let me ask this, if you aren't qualified, who is? Without putting you on the spot for a name, what skills are you looking for in a candidate that you think you lack?

Hey Im not trying to recruit you here, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. The "I'm not qualified" argument isn't working though. We know better.

I say I'm not qualified, nor am I a viable candidate. The most important reason is that I don't have enough time to get to KCBS events to spend time with cooks, judges, reps, organizers, etc...

I talk to a lot of them on the phone, via email, and by PM and learn a lot. That's not a substitute for the personal interaction and information a truly viable candidate can gather on a regular basis.

I've got a list in my head of WHO I'd like to see run. That's where it's going to stay. I'm not going to suggest or nominate anybody at this time, if ever. That's a personal decision, that a potential candidate needs to make on their own.

FatBoyz
05-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Jorge you now i Dont have the time of day for you ....But I have to say that you would be GREAT BOD member and I would vote for you. you have very good qualitys that would make you right for the job. For one thing from what i know of you you are hounest.. you seem to have integraty. and a short fuze. the fuze part might be what the bod needs now...You seem to be passanet about BBQ and you say you love it! But to many times things go away because people dont stand and fight for what thay love... with that said...YOU realy should run. Hell jorge We hate one another but i would vote for you !!!! please rethink your desition about running... YOU ARE QUALIFED!!!

Bigdog
05-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I know Jorge and if he says he is not going to run, he's not. End of story...move on.

I totally agree that a clean slat is necessary and would do the organization a great benefit if some newbies with fresh ideas and an open mind would get elected.

Plowboy
05-18-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm calling bullchit on that.... I don't believe for one minute you are any less qualified than anyone else here.

Not sure how to take that.

Kind of sounds like the old "I won't be associated with any organization that would have me as a member."

NateOwsley
05-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Personally, I have several ideas that I think would make things better.

1. There is a mindset that I have picked up on in the forums and contests where just because someone has been cooking forever that automatically puts them higher up on the que hierarchy. I think that at this stage of the game and where KCBS and bbq is it would be a great idea to get some more business minded people on the board. I'm not saying that KCBS should turn into some big corporation because I completely agree with the membership having a say and keeping the family atmosphere going. However, of there is ever going to be a growth opportunity to gain sponsors, advertising money, and popularity for the sport it is now and having a few good business minds involved to work with the "good 'ol boy" who has been cooking for 30 years would probably be a good idea.

2. Something that would probably help unify the body is to divide the bod into representatives from different parts of the country, for example something similar to the sports divisions where there would be a rep from the eastern conference, midwest conference, west coast conference, etc. The benefits to this would be you don't see each other constantly so its a little easier to keep those grudges and sour feelings from building, members from all over the country will have a better chance of having their voices heard, just like most teams have those couple reps that they are familiar with, you could actually put a name and face with the board in your area.

3. This one may already be in effect, I can't remember at the moment. Make it so that no bod member can serve in the same position year after year, this might help with the power trips that people were talking about.

This is good conversation I like hearing everyone's ideas.

Muzzlebrake
05-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Not sure how to take that.

Kind of sounds like the old "I won't be associated with any organization that would have me as a member."

nope, sorry man I didn't mean it like that at all. I was just trying to say he would make a very qualified candidate, if he chose to do so. which Im trying to say in a way that doesn't make it seem like I am pushing for that, which I am not .......

Im just going to go over here and chew on my foot alone:thumb:

Plowboy
05-19-2010, 10:23 PM
nope, sorry man I didn't mean it like that at all. I was just trying to say he would make a very qualified candidate, if he chose to do so. which Im trying to say in a way that doesn't make it seem like I am pushing for that, which I am not .......

Im just going to go over here and chew on my foot alone:thumb:

Just go drink your Yoohoo.

Jorge
05-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Just go drink your Yoohoo.

Dude, it's just gonna get spilled.....

Plowboy
05-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Dude, it's just gonna get spilled.....

Word.

Muzzlebrake
05-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Sir I am no longer going to frequent this establishment

tmcmaster
05-20-2010, 04:03 AM
2. Something that would probably help unify the body is to divide the bod into representatives from different parts of the country, for example something similar to the sports divisions where there would be a rep from the eastern conference, midwest conference, west coast conference, etc. The benefits to this would be you don't see each other constantly so its a little easier to keep those grudges and sour feelings from building, members from all over the country will have a better chance of having their voices heard, just like most teams have those couple reps that they are familiar with, you could actually put a name and face with the board in your area.
I think this would really make the BoD much more accessible. I like this idea a lot.:clap2:

moocow
05-20-2010, 07:24 AM
I think this would really make the BoD much more accessible. I like this idea a lot.:clap2:
I like this idea to!

Jorge
05-20-2010, 08:17 AM
That idea has been proposed more than once. There have been several different variations discussed in the last several years. Personally I'm still wrestling with what solution, if any, would be as fair as possible to to as many members as possible. I think the desire for regional representation makes all the sense in the world. On the other hand, I understand regions that have significantly more members feeling that their representation would be diluted.

I've read some options in the Bullsheet that I think probably address those issues. I'd probably be willing to support that.

pahutchens
05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Maybe something like congressional districts based on population and region etc. Of course we would have the whole gerrymandering thing to play with.
One the non profits I had helped to set up required x number of directors per y number of membership. I could look it up but off the top of anyones head is this the case for KCBS?
(With its current viral growth it should be)

NateOwsley
05-21-2010, 12:53 AM
the population per candidate thing is interesting. It could also kind of be a deterent to some people when it comes to joining because, take the people in the northeast for example where que isn't as popular, they might not want to join if the impression is there that they might not get equal representation, and honestly if it's based on membership numbers probably never would. Ideally you would have a bod that although they represent different parts of the country they would be able to see what is best for the organization as a whole, whether one region agreed with their decision or not.

Ford
05-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Personally, I have several ideas that I think would make things better.

2. Something that would probably help unify the body is to divide the bod into representatives from different parts of the country, for example something similar to the sports divisions where there would be a rep from the eastern conference, Midwest conference, west coast conference, etc. The benefits to this would be you don't see each other constantly so its a little easier to keep those grudges and sour feelings from building, members from all over the country will have a better chance of having their voices heard, just like most teams have those couple reps that they are familiar with, you could actually put a name and face with the board in your area.

3. This one may already be in effect, I can't remember at the moment. Make it so that no bod member can serve in the same position year after year, this might help with the power trips that people were talking about.

This is good conversation I like hearing everyone's ideas.
For #2 - I ran for the BOD in 2005 and this was one of the key points on my platform. Apparently the membership disagreed as I was not one of the top 4. It's been talked about on and off since then but there's no reason to change the by-laws for this. The last time stats were published by State I think that the KC/MO population was a significant number and the entire Northeast was pretty small.

For #3 a BOD member can run for 2 terms then must stand down for at least 1 year. It is now being followed but was not in the late 80's and early 00's. BOD members vote for the president then the other positions are usually non elective. Nobody wants to be Treasurer or Secretary because of the amount of work required but somebody gets stuck. Committee heads are appointed by the President.

ThomEmery
05-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Maybe something like congressional districts based on population and region etc. Of course we would have the whole gerrymandering thing to play with.
One the non profits I had helped to set up required x number of directors per y number of membership. I could look it up but off the top of anyones head is this the case for KCBS?
(With its current viral growth it should be)

This is not needed
It does seem like a good idea
but the voters usually elect the best traveled KCBS Rep
I mean the best candidates

Rookie'48
10-15-2011, 05:16 PM
I just re-read this thread from a year and a half ago. Most of the points made are still relevant today, especially the one about low voter turn out. It's still OUR organization and it's up to US to take it in a direction that benefits US, the everyday members.

Big Poppa
10-16-2011, 10:59 AM
I love boards. They have targets on their backs. Vocal critics end up on boards and get board member disease...nearly as lethal as lead singer disease. One of you becomes one of them.

They have and the havent. Power is a interesting force....if affects many people differently. I believe that once you get to see what the real issues are from the inside...get briefed by the lawyers, accountants, and lastly figure out who the alpha dogs are you realize what you can accomplish.

Benevolent dictators built the great companies. How much input do you believe Steve Jobs got from his board during his second run at Apple? The old cliche that a camel is a horse designed by a board holds true...The board is the safest route because a there are more bad dictators than good.

The idea of regional quotas is counter to the need to select the smartest most experienced leaders along with the members who possess the best toolkit for the job.

Some of the rants here regarding the board are spot on but most of them I find silly.