PDA

View Full Version : Pork has kicked my butt...

tmkshew
05-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I've tried Pulled Pork twice.
Failed both times.

I am really curious if there is a set internal temperature when you guys suggest that I remove the butt from the smoker and put into a dry cooler?
Or if a dry cooler is even necessary. I am in dire need of some help.
I've got it on the smoker now and I was considering just leaving it on until it hits 200 degrees internally and then letting it rest for about 45 minutes then begin to pull.
Is this a good idea.
I'd love any ideas and/or suggestions.

Thanks in advance. I will be sure to post the results.

1fastf7
05-09-2010, 02:16 PM
i have good luck,taking it out at 190*,,then letting it rest in foil for 45 min to an hour,,then pulling.

DC-Q
05-09-2010, 02:19 PM
With butts the bone is a good indicator. It will usually pull right out clean.
I have had the bone get stuck. (somehow it seems the rub dries a bit on the outside of the meat around the bone & sometimes it sticks to the meat) 1st time it happened I left it on a bit longer than normal & felt like it was a little dry but noone else thought so. I'm not sure theres a fool proof way to tell if a butt is done except to cook a lot of them and after a while you get to know your cooker intimately & you just know when it's done.

N8man
05-09-2010, 02:23 PM
If it's a bone in butt, the best way to tell when it's
done is there will be significant pull back of meat from around the bone
and the bone pulls out cleanly. I cooked picnics last night and offer them up
as an example for you....
First in....
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/n8man_album/Picnic_On2-1.jpg

Ready to come out, take notice the pull back of meat at the bone...
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/n8man_album/Picnic_On3.jpg

These were in @250* cooking temp for 12 hours....And had an
internal temp of 205* My probe slid in like buddah and I knew
they were done.
Your times may vary, and as they say,"It's done when it's done."
I hope this helps you out....

Dan - 3eyzbbq
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
You don't have to rest it or put it in a cooler. Your plan for today should be fine.

Rylos1
05-09-2010, 04:03 PM
N8man has the right idea. I usually take it off of the grill at about 205, when the meat is pulling away from the bone. Of course it usually takes about 12 hours. Then let it cool about 30 to 45 minutes and pull.

tmkshew
05-09-2010, 05:13 PM
N8man has the right idea. I usually take it off of the grill at about 205, when the meat is pulling away from the bone. Of course it usually takes about 12 hours. Then let it cool about 30 to 45 minutes and pull.

Yeah I think that's the plan I'm going for. I'm just smoking one because I don't want to waste anymore butts. It's looking good so far. I'll post pictures when I'm done.
Thanks for all the input everyone it's very appreciated.

RamHemiTX
05-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I have adopted the probe test for butts. I am no pro, but I have smoked 2 butts and 1 picnic and they have turned out fine. I don't even check them until they have been on the smoker for 12 hours. I probe around in several places and if there is no resistance I pull them off. If there is resistance I leave them on and check back in 1 hour increments. Once it comes off, I wrap in foil and place in the oven (wife doesn't want the cooler to smell like meat). After they sit for 30-45 minutes I rip them up.

Vince B
05-09-2010, 08:19 PM
The last few times I made boneless pork shoulders and they were some of the best I have made. Don't get me wrong bone in has always worked for me. I especially like when I can slide the bone out it's more than ready!

The last two cooks I did the boneless shoulders and tied them. I found that they all cooked very evenly and were juicy throughout. I did however let them rest for over two hours in a small cooler I have. For what ever reason this just works best for me.

The last cook was a 225-275* cook and it did take about 14hrs. These were purchased as a twin vac-pack from Costco. However I do not remember the weight. If I had to guess probably15-20lbs total between the two. I do use an 18" wsm that leaks like a :tape:. I pulled between 195-200*and rested in a cooler. Two hours later I pulled and vacsuc for the freezer.

We did obviously have to have a plate for the evening. Worth every bit of the 14hrs. Not sure if I have any pic's. I'll have to look. I gave 4 half lb packages out to some friends that said they want more! One even offered to buy the butts next time around!

JD McGee
05-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I see you have a bullet in your signature...try this (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html)...you'll love it! :cool:

tmkshew
05-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Third time is a charm!

I put the damn thing on at 2pm. Learned my lesson. I set an alarm for 2am.
Internal temp was at 193... close enough.

I pulled it and it looked/tasted great!

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions.

Keep Grilling!

deguerre
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Yep, looks like you nailed it. Congrats!:thumb::thumb:

Harbormaster
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Looks good.
Did you cook it in the pan? That's something I've never done. I find there's plenty of juice if you cook 'em on the grate.

tmkshew
05-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Looks good.
Did you cook it in the pan? That's something I've never done. I find there's plenty of juice if you cook 'em on the grate.

Less clean up on the grates. That's the only reason I do it that way.

landarc
05-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Nice job on getting that pulled pork cooking down.

devious
05-10-2010, 04:16 PM
congrats buddy! looking good

moda253
05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Interesting. I did two butts on saturday-sunday and my cook was just short of 20 hours at 16 pounds of pork. Does that seem "long" to you guys? It didn't seem long to me but then maybe my temps dropped a bit at one point.

tmkshew
05-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I was also wondering if you guys prefer bone in or boneless. I've always liked meats cooked/smoked/seared with the bone-in.
Especially Delmonicos.
Just curious.

tmkshew
05-10-2010, 04:37 PM
congrats buddy! looking good

thanks a lot I appreciate it.
I'm only 23 and I'm getting better every day!

SQWIB
05-11-2010, 07:19 AM
I was also wondering if you guys prefer bone in or boneless. I've always liked meats cooked/smoked/seared with the bone-in.
Especially Delmonicos.
Just curious.

Whatever you can get your hands on, but I prefer Boneless, no sense in wasting time and energy to cook something you wont be eating.

SQWIB
05-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Interesting. I did two butts on saturday-sunday and my cook was just short of 20 hours at 16 pounds of pork. Does that seem "long" to you guys? It didn't seem long to me but then maybe my temps dropped a bit at one point.

My last 2 smokes were as follows
15lbs - over 24hrs picnic and butt
15lbs - 18 hours butt
I tried keeping the temps at 240 degrees and pulled at an internal of 200 degrees, this was on my GOSM both were boneless.
I think I must have been doing something wrong, I have 40lbs just waiting for my stickburner, hopefully those times will fare better.

SQWIB
05-11-2010, 07:27 AM
I've tried Pulled Pork twice.
Failed both times.

I am really curious if there is a set internal temperature when you guys suggest that I remove the butt from the smoker and put into a dry cooler?
Or if a dry cooler is even necessary. I am in dire need of some help.
I've got it on the smoker now and I was considering just leaving it on until it hits 200 degrees internally and then letting it rest for about 45 minutes then begin to pull.
Is this a good idea.
I'd love any ideas and/or suggestions.

Thanks in advance. I will be sure to post the results.

Third time is a charm!

I put the damn thing on at 2pm. Learned my lesson. I set an alarm for 2am.
Internal temp was at 193... close enough.

I pulled it and it looked/tasted great!

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions.

Keep Grilling!

What was your conclusion? why were the first 2 failures? maybe you can save someone from Butt Failure in the future.

garyk1398
05-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Looks like a winner to me! I'd hit that! I prefer Bone-in, that way when my bone pulls out easy ...I'm done. :rolleyes:

gtsum
05-11-2010, 08:22 AM
looks like you got it! I go by the bone and the feel of the meat..when the bone pulls out easily, and the meat feels like a big blob of jello, it is done. I always let rest at least an hour and then pull...my temps are usually around 200-203 when they reach the above stages