PDA

View Full Version : 1st 4 Butt Cook, Suggestions

mwmac
05-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I have successfully smoked 2 butts using a 18.5 WSM with water and BBQ Guru about 6 times in the last year. This is my first try doing 4 at once so I would like any suggestions to improve chance of success.

Here is the game plan so far: Butts were trimmed, rubbed (Big Bob Gibson), and wrapped last night. 2 butts were 7.75 lbs untrimmed and 2 were 6.75 lbs. Bringing them to room temp now. Will inject and rub again about 1 hour prior to putting on. Using RO lump packed tight with 3 chunks of pecan and 2 of hickory buried. Planning to use full chimney minion start with boiling water. Will be serving tomorrow at 3:00pm.

Thinking of starting to cook at 3:00pm today at 240F as last smoke took 17 hours to hit 195 with 7.5lb butts. Will hold butts foiled in cooler if finished early.

Any suggestions?

Mike

bigabyte
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe start at 5pm instead? Might be a long hold in the cooler if you start at 3pm. Otherwise it all sounds great.:thumb:

mwmac
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Maybe start at 5pm instead? Might be a long hold in the cooler if you start at 3pm. Otherwise it all sounds great.:thumb:

Thanks, that's what I was worried about. Just don't want to be late for dinner:wink:

Glenn W
05-07-2010, 10:50 AM
With that much of a load on the WSM I would highly suggest foiling the pan with no water. You can do it with or without the clay (I use the 12.25" clay saucer). Wrap the top of the water pan with 2 layers of foil and make sure you leave it dished in a couple inches for the grease.

Minion the start with 1/2 chimney and set all vents 100% and catch the temp at 240ish and stabilze at 275ish. You should be able to have the bottoms at 20-30% and top at 100% once stabilzed.

Be sure to wait 20-30 min after each adjustment to see what the temps do.

If you use this method your cooktimes should be around 12-16hrs.

Water and that much meat would eat up some major fuel and take forever!

Good luck to ya.

daedalus
05-07-2010, 10:57 AM
In my WSM, the temp is often noticeably different from the lower rack, which is just above the water, to the upper rack. It might be a good idea have an extra thermometer at the lower rack to make sure it stays within range.