PDA

View Full Version : 5 racks of baby backs and an UDS

Smoke Show
05-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I am smoking 5 racks of baby backs on saturday for a family get together. I'm all jittery at the thought of getting to use my UDS again. Anyhow, when should I put rub on the ribs? Normally I do it 24 hrs before I cook, but are there any advantages to rubbing it down for say 48 hrs before? Just curious what you all think.
Thanks

Ron_L
05-06-2010, 09:09 PM
How much salt is in your rub. I wouldn't do it any sooner than 24 hours or you risk hammy ribs. If the rub has a lot of salt, even 24 hours may be too long. I normally rub about an hour before cooking.

Bob E Que
05-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I rub mine just before lighting the drum. Then when the sweet blue is seen, on they go.

Smoke Show
05-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I am going to do my rub an hour before and see how the family likes it. They have alway been happy with seasoning 24 hrs before, but mabye they will like there better. I'm always open to suggestions.
Thanks,

peppasawce
05-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Listen to them guys Smoke Show they got Peppasawce on the right track.. I season no longer than 2 to 4 hours before..The Slabs go on the Ugly Drum

Meat Burner
05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I rub mine just before lighting the drum. Then when the sweet blue is seen, on they go.

Yep, that's what we do. Long time with rub give a weird texture and taste with the rub I use. About an hour before they hit the drum for us.

SmokeJumper
05-07-2010, 01:25 AM
One hour before for me. If I am doing a big cook for a lot of people I'll do it the night before. With my rub I can't tell a lot of difference between the different times.