PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Class Summer School, Swamp Boys Style

Rub
05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Mark your calendars: June 25-26

What: Competition level techniques class
The first one earlier this year was met with rave reviews and immediate results.

Details will follow soon, stay tuned.

Big Tom
05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
This event might coordinate with the Lawrenceburg contest, could have some promise for me.....i'm just sayin' :thumb:

rksylves
05-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Think I may have to go to this one. Half a dozen competitions in and my scores are just not improving. Even worse when the prediction line of my results for Palm Beach is 21st place.

Russ

Rub
05-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Come join us guys. Here's what some of the first graduating class said:

“Taking your class absolutely improved our scores and my wife and I couldn’t be happier….Thanks again for offering your time and experience to teaching others to perfect the Art of BBQ. It was well worth the money spent.” Greg P.
“Just wanted to let you know that your school shed a lot of light on different cooking technics. I cooked in my first contest since the school,Dade City. I got three calls, chicken 9th, brisket 8th and pork 7th, my best finishes yet.” Doug B.
“All and all it was a kick ass class. Would definitely take it again.” Jon W
“Annette and I enjoyed your class tremendously, and learned a lot…” Jerry B
“Loved the class have been telling everyone I see how great it was, if you decide to have another in FL I have several students lined up for you.” Greg B
“I have to say I really enjoyed the class and I met some great people that I hope to meet again when I start cooking FBA and KCBS.” Alec C
“I can definitely say that Rub’s class was well worth the money for us. We have competed in 4 FBA contests since Rub’s class and have 1 grand, 2 reserves and 5 category wins to show for it. We learned a great amount from Rub and took a stockpile of notes. He was very detailed and wanted to make sure every question was answered…” Chad W

goodbuddiesbbq
05-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Chad and I took this class expecting to learn a few cool things and the rest is a short history, but a good history. This class changed the way we looked at two categories in particular and we picked up 34 pages (legal pages) of notes, techniques, nuances, and answers to questions that we don't have to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on experimenting.

We knew after taking this class our scores would change immediately. We didn't know that we would take down our first Grand Championship the very next week with our teacher competing against us.

Do yourself a favor and miss a competition, if you have one scheduled, and go to this class. Or don't go this class and continue to be more money in the kitty for those of us who attended :-D!

Oh yeah...we have picked up a smoker sponsor, charcoal sponsor, marketing sponsor, meat sponsor, and general partner (local bank) since the class.

The class paid for itself 7x in one week and about 20x since the class six months ago.

Rub...we appreciated the day you sold your soul to the devil :mad2:.

Rub
05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the nice words Joel/Matt. Didn't we agree to some % of your winnings??

The sponsors are beginning to come together. So far we have in no particular order: The Slabs, Rib Stars, Spicewine, and Pork Pullin' Plowboys. I will report the rest as I know. This is going to be another great one :thumb:

redline bbq
05-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Sounds great, God knows I need all the help I can get.

Rub
05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
The location has been confirmed. It is right at the junction of I-10 and I-75 in north FL: http://www.musicliveshere.com/content/index.php (http://www.musicliveshere.com/content/index.php)

Same place I held the first class. Your RV site for Friday night is included in the class. You only need to contact the park if you want to come early, stay late, or rent a cabin. BTW, we get cabin rentals at 10% off.

Plowboy
05-12-2010, 10:06 PM
And I'll be in Orlando on June 27. Damn. I'll miss it by one day.

rksylves
05-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Isn't this where Damon's Comp is held?

Where to sign up?

Russ

Rub
05-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Todd, come down a couple days early and give us a few Plowboy tips :-P

Russ, yes it is. I have the info up on my site now: http://www.swampboys.com/Summer%20Competition%20Cook%20Class.htm
Forms are there for download!

T.K.
05-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Rub - I haven't got the green light yet to go but still working on it. Is the price $400?

Todd - Stop by and hang out if you can. I live close to Orlando and Tallahassee has an airport. :becky:

Plowboy
05-13-2010, 10:31 PM
My family is spending June 27-July 5 near Disney. Too bad the class wasn't the following weekend.

T.K.
05-15-2010, 06:11 AM
I understand Todd. Enjoy your time at Disney and try not to spend too much money. :becky:

Rub
05-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Todd, I'm guessing Daytona is on your radar...;)

I have verbal commitments for about a third of the seats already. Don't hesitate and get left out. :doh:

Plowboy
05-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Todd, I'm guessing Daytona is on your radar...;)

I have verbal commitments for about a third of the seats already. Don't hesitate and get left out. :doh:

It is after tonight, actually! Need to find a cooker.

Rub
05-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Product arrived from the Slabs.com, thanks Steph!!

Rub
05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Got the good word today that sponsors of the first class - Dizzy Pig and 3 Eyz BBQ - are back on board for for this class :thumb:

Add that to these already confirmed - Butchers BBQ, Pork Pullin Plowboys, Rib Stars, Spicewine Ironworks, and The Slabs - and things are looking great!

Thanks all for participating!

Rub
05-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Added 3 more sponsors today!
ButtRub.com is back for more, as well as new sponsors Sorry Boys and STUMP'S :thumb:
Stay tuned for details, but in the mean time, secure your spot while there's still room.
Rumor has it, we may have a master pit builder in the class...

Team East Coast Lumber
05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
If you are planning to attend ANY competition cooking class this would be the ONE... I had never cooked in a Pro Comp or even a backyard until Feb of this year, my first Comp was not good as to be expected. Since attending Rub's first class and competing in three comp's since I have two top 10 finishes. Now if that does not say enough about the instructor and his class then nothing else will. I am proud to be a member of the first group of grads...

Rub
06-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks Don!

Swamp Boys got four top ten calls this past weekend in Elba AL, including a 9th, two 5ths, and a 1st to win Grand Champion. That said, there are just a few days left to sign up for Summer Q School, Swamp Boys Style. I'll show you all the techniques I use at contests to help me win like I did this past weekend. Don't wait any longer! :)