PDA

View Full Version : Basic butt know how?

firecracker jack
05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Wasn't really sure if I should ask this here, or in the comp forums. Anyways I recently sampled some sliced pork at a comp, and believe that it came from the money muscle. I was impressed to say the least. I also was told that there are more muscle groups within a butt that can be used for sliced pork. I've spent sometime using the search feature, but can only find info on how to expose the money muscle while still leaving it attached to the butt to follow the rules.
What I was looking for was info on how to find the different muscles within the butt and what temps to cook them to. To my understanding you cook the butt to a lower temp for slicing.
The money muscle seems to be visible from the few photo's I've seen, on the end opposite the bone...But where and how do you get to the other ones?.....Being my not so sharp self I've always just made pulled pork and never paid attention while pulling the butt apart..I have noticed different textures and degrees of tenderness while pulling....This must be from the different muscles?...I was going to get a Butt this weekend and try to figure it out...Is it easier to cook the butt first and then find the muscles or do you try to seperate first and then cook:confused:
I really need some help here because the sliced pork I sampled at the practice comp was really good and really stood out to me. I've got to know so I can make these tender, juicy pork medallions for my own selfish enjoyment...Ahh who knows I might share some.......:laugh:

firecrackerjack

bigabyte
05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
This thread has a great post with a pic of the money muscle.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34340

Ribbin' Randy
05-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Jack, I've got 30 jokes about the "the money muscle" but i will spare everyone. Am anxious to hear replies as this is the first I've heard of said muscle.

monty3777
05-05-2010, 11:58 PM
If you want to find the other "muscles" then start removing the lines of fat in the butt. The tubular pieces that remain intact, running across the butt, are the other muscles. My personal favorite is the one that runs under the shoulder blade. WOW!!

landarc
05-06-2010, 01:02 AM
I like the money muscle and the muscle that runs under the shoulder blade as well. Both often get over cooked when you cook the entire butt to pulling temperatures. Unless you are cometing, it is worth pulling them off at 180F or so, slice and eat then that way. Very good.

firecracker jack
05-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the input...I'll try cooking to 180 and then try to find my through the fat veins to find the different groups of muscles. would like to be able to cut the butt in such a way as they do in competition to expose more of the muscles to get more bark around the surfsce of the muscle..

thanks I'll try one this weekend.

firecrackerjack:thumb:

RobKC
05-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Here's more info on the pork butt than you'll ever need.
http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/pages/index.jsp?what=subprimal&hs=Ham&subprimalId=23

monty3777
05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Here's more info on the pork butt than you'll ever need.
http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/pages/index.jsp?what=subprimal&hs=Ham&subprimalId=23

Awesome!

monty3777
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the input...I'll try cooking to 180 and then try to find my through the fat veins to find the different groups of muscles. would like to be able to cut the butt in such a way as they do in competition to expose more of the muscles to get more bark around the surfsce of the muscle..

That's what happens when you trim the fat away. The muscles are exposed during the rubing and cooking process. I may not have been clear that trimming the fat happens before you do the cook.

I have tried this and I don't much care for the final results. I know others do it with great success because they are better cooks than I am. However - I just prefer the final product when the internal fat lines are left intact.