PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Q

snoqualmiesmoker
06-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Hello eveyone!

Attempted my secong Pork Rip Extraviganza (if i may say so myself) and used the Weber Ketel to smoke some ribs. I tried this a week aga and overcooked the ribs a bit. So this time i worked the smoke, and used the water bucket from an old smoker. Kept the heat between 220 and 230, and 5.5 hours later all was well. The ribs were great!
In the middle of the process, the rain came. I live up in the foothills of the cascades and it poured. The Ketel lid thermometer droped to below 100, but the internal one i use (oven style) was pegged at 210 for the duration of the squal.
This is the last time i will use the Ketel for smoking, since the Bandera should arive by Thursday or Friday of this week!!!

Even the wife thought they were tasty, and coming from a true texan, i'll take that anyday!

Best to you all!

JB in WA

kcquer
06-06-2004, 09:39 AM
This is the last time i will use the Ketel for smoking,

James, don't be so quick to abandon your webber, small cooks and bad weather will have you firing it up again. The weather it saw you through yesterday would have probably not have turned out as well with the 'dera. I don't own a webber (yet) but would like one for just such occasions. Hope your Bandera arrives in good condition and on time. Best of luck.

Solidkick
06-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a successful cook to me. Did you try foiling the ribs, or did you just leave them out to the smoke the full time?

Bill-Chicago
06-06-2004, 11:39 AM
This is the last time i will use the Ketel for smoking,

James, don't be so quick to abandon your webber, small cooks and bad weather will have you firing it up again. The weather it saw you through yesterday would have probably not have turned out as well with the 'dera. I don't own a webber (yet) but would like one for just such occasions. Hope your Bandera arrives in good condition and on time. Best of luck.

Have to second that E

I use the Bandera maybe twice a month (once a month in winter).

I use the offset method in the kettle probably 4 times a month, or more. Nothing like a kettle for 3-4 hours pegged at one temp. Especially with all this rain where you don't need to fark with the fire.

Love the Dera, of course, but I don't always need that quantity output (or that farking fuel input)

Good to see the NW Q is in full swing.

snoqualmiesmoker
06-06-2004, 12:44 PM
"Did you try foiling the ribs, or did you just leave them out to the smoke the full time?"
Nope i used a rib rack from the tore, and offset them with the vent over the ribs. I will heed alls advice and continue to use the kettle on small tasks. The Bandera will be used on the Man Size Q.
Best to all,

JB

Bill-Chicago
06-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Best use of a kettle, Double Beer Can Chicken Holder.

1.5 hours and your in heaven.

Heath
06-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Good job JB.

Checking again if you need some wood, I have access to lots of maple and alder on a site near Duvall. Its already cut into rounds and stacked, just needs hauled off and split. Let me know or PM me if you want in.

snoqualmiesmoker
06-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Good job JB.

Checking again if you need some wood, I have access to lots of maple and alder on a site near Duvall. Its already cut into rounds and stacked, just needs hauled off and split. Let me know or PM me if you want in.

As a newby, give me some of the pros and cons. I have been using charcole and wet hickory chips. Why wood. Is the wood with the charcole?

jb

Mark
06-07-2004, 06:59 AM
JB:

Given where you live, there should be no problem securing large amounts of suitable wood for smoking at mimimal cost. Alder especially. Talk with Heath. He's an expert scrounger. Take him up on his offer.

I know the directions on the package of hickory chips says to soak but thats for adding a little smoke flavor to improve crappy lazy que. Bagged hickory chips are way to small and way to expensive for feeding a Bandera.

As for charcoal, again, you have to pay for it. Second, most charcoal briquetts use coal as the main ingredient (including Kingsford). Coal has numerous impurities in it along with trace elements like havy metals. Do a search on the word coal in this forum to learn more.