PDA

View Full Version : Whole Hog Skin Question...

tmcmaster
05-04-2010, 03:56 AM
OK, so I did my first catering) hog this weekend (and used a BUNCH of things learned here, thanks a million!!!) and the only real issue I had was the skin. I was really looking forward to some crispy skin with my cheek, but, after 10 hours at 225*, the skin was more like a football than a potato chip. Is there a way to get that awesome crispy skin with a low and slow method, or is it impossible without some real direct heat?

Thanks!

Rowdycue
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Take the fat off the skin and put it back on the fire with direct heat. It doesn't have to be really hot but it will crisp up and taste great. I like to use a sauce of vinegar, red or cayenne pepper, and a little salt. It's great on the skins and meat.:clap2:

Bbq Bubba
05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Low n slow will pretty much be leather.

EatRBBQ
05-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I've done a good deal of whole pig roasts. On my MeadowCreek reverse flow the Pig Skin gets leathery and very smoked.

The idea struck me to take some, slice it into 1"x2" strips and deep fry it. I haven't done it from a whole pig yet... but when I did a whole ham/rear leg with skin on I did.

Deep fried most of the skin puffed up, had a little more crunch than most store bought pork rinds (mostly fried fat not really skin), and was delicious.

I think the more edible whole pig roast skin comes off the rottisserie rigs?

southernsmoker
05-05-2010, 07:10 AM
I read somewhere you can take a torch and crisp up the skin, tempted to try it but never did...maybe cut some off and place it on a grill..I dunno...
I do a few pig roasts and it is a great question, now if we can only get an equally great answer...:thumb:

NRA4Life
05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Yep, you have to have that direct heat to crisp it.

Rowdycue
05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey Southern Smoker, the question has been answered. I have done it the way I wrote many times and it works.

jeffboyette
05-05-2010, 10:25 AM
rowdycue, getting hostile......

DC-Q
05-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Ther were some pics (last week I think) of a hog cooked on some type of offset. The skin looked nice & golden brown. Not sure if it was crispy or not. Switching from a spit to a stumps clone I'm curious about this too.

southernsmoker
05-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Hey Southern Smoker, the question has been answered. I have done it the way I wrote many times and it works.

I was referring to the torch, but I'm going to try it your way too, but why take the fat off, flare ups??

I was thinking about cutting some off a belly for folks who may want some crispy skin.

jeffboyette
05-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I was referring to the torch, but I'm going to try it your way too, but why take the fat off, flare ups??

I was thinking about cutting some off a belly for folks who may want some crispy skin.
taking the fat off keeps it from being soggy. it makes it crisp quicker

southernsmoker
05-05-2010, 03:01 PM
taking the fat off keeps it from being soggy. it makes it crisp quicker

Thanks

jeffboyette
05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
We always flip the skin over. Open side down. Lets the fat render off it. otherwise it acts as a bowl and keep the juices floating on top.

jeffboyette
05-05-2010, 03:21 PM
After its smoked, cut it in strips and deep fry it in some Manteca/Lard

BBQ_MAFIA
05-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I cook hogs on my Lang and the Skin always looks good but it is ever crispy.
I hate to describe it a leathery but thats what it is like.

The meat on the other hand is fantastic.

Rowdycue
05-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Southern Smoker, I should not have responded as I did. I have 4 broken ribs and was in a great deal of pain at the time. I apologize. I thought about what I said later and wish I had not. It does get crisper without the fat and it's faster.

southernsmoker
05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Southern Smoker, I should not have responded as I did. I have 4 broken ribs and was in a great deal of pain at the time. I apologize. I thought about what I said later and wish I had not. It does get crisper without the fat and it's faster.

Yikes what happened? No worries.. no offence taken..Hope you're feeling better...

Rowdycue
05-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I hope I am not hijacking with my conversation with Southern Smoker,but I slipped in the shower. Thanks for asking. And I was just getting over a back injury. I started building a UDS last August and haven't been able to finish it. Getting old sucks.:doh:

southernsmoker
05-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Ouch..Good Luck..