PDA

View Full Version : Help Run away drum temps!!!

Philly-QueMaster
05-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Can someone please help a brother out? My drum temp has gone crazy and I can't get it under control. I filled the charcoal basket with briquettes, and threw about 5-8 lit coals on to get it going. After about 20 minutes it was cruising along perfect between 225* and 250*. Now after an hour the temps have jumped to 350* on the top rack and 400* on the lower rack. All my bottom vents are now closed except one which is only open a hair. I have no idea why I can't get stable temps on this thing. Any ideas?

Patrick

Bbq Bubba
05-01-2010, 12:11 PM
You didn't shut it down as the temp was rising. Once it gets going, hard to back it down.

BRBBQ
05-01-2010, 12:18 PM
As stated ^^ start backing down when temps get going or you have a big air leak some where, lid, intake.

Philly-QueMaster
05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
I only had one vent slightly open when I was lighting it up and when it hit 225* I even closed that down some. My oven thermo on the top grate is reading at 250* while the turkey fryer thermo is reading at 350* at the top grate. Not sure which I should trust. There could be an air leak around the lid. It's a uniflame dome lid and doesn't fit 100%. maybe I will stuff some tinfoil around it and see if that helps.

Bbq Bubba
05-01-2010, 12:44 PM
One of your thermos is junk, theres not a 100* diff. between grates.
If your lid's leaking, your gonna be chasin temps all day.

rockyathabaska
05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
sounds like it might be an air leak to ; or you let it go too high before you shut it down
Really important ;watch you're temps on the way up , go slow,pay close attention and like stated before test you're thermos,one of them must be lying to you.
I've played around with my thermos quite a bit to get comfortable with my UDS .
You can use boiling water to calibrate or check out the thermos.
I've started taking mine inside when not in use to keep them out of the rain, even though they are supposed to be dishwasher safe.
Rockyathabaska

weber 18" kettle
weber green performer
22.5" weber one touch
weber gasser
UDS

ON THE FARM
05-01-2010, 01:57 PM
i dont think you started with enough lit coals. The few you put in is what you got your drum up to temp with, then more started to light and now you have a run a way. Dont close your vents all the way the stagnent smoke will taste bad. Move everything to the sides of the drum and crack one open like you said you have. The temps will come back down. Take some foil and wrap it around the lid and drum on the outside and seal it. It is a learning curve for sure.

Captain Dave
05-01-2010, 02:05 PM
What are you using for intakes? Runaway temps are caused by too much air. Period! If your intakes dont shut properly, that'll be your problem. I hope you're using pipe nipple and a ball valve. Most other methods will leak air sooner or later. The lids fit is also a possibility but it is more likely from too much air at the intakes.

h20loo
05-01-2010, 04:04 PM
What are you using for intakes? Runaway temps are caused by too much air. Period! If your intakes dont shut properly, that'll be your problem. I hope you're using pipe nipple and a ball valve. Most other methods will leak air sooner or later. The lids fit is also a possibility but it is more likely from too much air at the intakes.

Do you think I should put nipples and ball valves on my BGE to keep from having leaks sooner or later?