PDA

View Full Version : experience with Maple?

Jorge
06-02-2004, 05:18 PM
I've never really cooked with it. The winds that hit DFW last night dropped a maple tree that I might be able to get my hands on. Worth cooking with, if so what do you like to cook with it?

kcquer
06-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Jorge, check the leaves. If the three main lobes of the leaves a deeply cleft it is a soft maple and won't be good to cook with. If the three main lobes are kinda webbed together it is a hard maple and will be pretty good to cook with. To me its kinda subtle, you don't taste it much except on chicken. When I give my opinion on woods it's kinda limited though, cause I rarely smoke with just one wood.

BBQchef33
06-02-2004, 07:00 PM
i use maple.. its very mild.. use it to supplement for heat, never considered it a flavoring wood.. but damn, wasnt aware of the hard/soft varieties. either i been real lucky or all we have around here is the hard maples. I think the ones we got are called sugar maples. Never checked. was told maple is ok, so just went with it.

Jorge
06-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Live and learn. Hopefully I can check out a leaf before it is gone. Maybe check Home Depot tool rental and think about turning out a big ass butcher block if it isn't worth burning.

BigAl
06-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Some maple is real hard wood and is used on the first 15-20 ft of a 60 ft bowling lane, the remaining boards are pine.

ckkphoto
06-03-2004, 07:34 AM
The maple we have down here in texas is typically silver maple. It is softer than sugar maple, and I have been told it is too smoky to cook with. I have, however, because I am a scrounge constantly on the lookout for downed trees, smoked with a fair amount of it. It is not bad if well seasoned, and complements fish nicely. Not a favorite wood with beef, okay with pork, but wouldn't keep me from using one that landed on my lawn. :)

Jorge
06-03-2004, 08:57 AM
I think I'll pass then. thanks for all the info

Bill-Chicago
06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the 400 club Jorge