PDA

View Full Version : Epicurious Tests 22 BBQ Sauces

PatioDaddio
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Read it here (http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/everydaycooking/tastetests/barbecuesaucetastetest).

John

Moose
04-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I could perhaps see how Sweet Baby Ray's might take 1st place, but KC Masterpiece taking First place runner up? :confused:

Chef Jim
04-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Nice, thanks John!

landarc
04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
What that tells me is that it was a taste tester board with a very narrow idea of what is good sauce and good BBQ. I like SBR a lot, but, I use Bone Suckin' Sauce and Annie's and find them good for certain uses. I do not use KC Masterpiece at all. I would add that the comment that it is too thin would not apply to me as I dislike thick sauces.

But, when doing taste tests, you have to make a stand somewhere. Can you imagine a sauce taste test with just Brethren judges?

BigButzBBQ
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Interesting list. Think they should have just gone from High to low w/out bashing the lowest ones so blatantly though. Chef Hymie's might not be exactly the "ideal" for most people but, they are trying hard to do something good and I've heard it's a decent product.

Thanks for posting PatioDaddio. :thumb:

maxwell7
04-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Interesting--Cook's Country people did a taste test and found Bull's Eye original a favorite. Did they ignore it for a reason?:twisted:

SmokeNride
04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
What that tells me is that it was a taste tester board with a very narrow idea of what is good sauce and good BBQ.

My EXACT thought! Or at least the author of the article does. Didn't know there had to be so many rules to have the "right" sauce. My latest sauce I can't get enough of is the Bone suckin' sauce, and to rank that next to Open Pit? Doesn't make much sense to me!

It does show why so many different BBQ sauces are made, though. Everyone likes different stuff.

landarc
04-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, I got some sauce from Redheart in a sauce trade that I really like, it is thin and brown/red and works great. I am sure it would not have done well in this tasting, too thin and sour. Just what pork wants.

PatioDaddio
04-29-2010, 08:44 PM
By the looks of the field it looks like they may have been focused on brands that have national distribution.

John

landarc
04-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I have to say though, at one comp I was at, one team said they used Kraft straight from the bottle and their 'que was pretty darned good. I think it still came down to the fact those guys could cook.

big brother smoke
04-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow!:tape:

MJHuffDaddy
04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Well I guess Epicurious is not too curious about good sauce... nice disappointing insight from the article... :hand: WWTDD (what would The Dude do)

Bigmista
04-29-2010, 11:26 PM
National my arse. I never heard of half of them.

hardy02ttu
04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Different sauces for different meats, none of which are cornbread. And no matter how good the sauce is, there is no cure for bad Q. Also, I find that barbecue sauce taste varies greatly depending on where you are at.

SmokeJumper
04-30-2010, 12:43 AM
I like SBR but this review seems to miss quite a few major brands and has many I have never heard of. I'm amazed Bull's Eye didn't make the list as it is available nationwide. I'm wondering how they pick the judges and if they are all from one part of the country.

Duster72
04-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Out of that list, I would choose SBR too. I also think it's kind of sleazy to trash a sauce made for diabetics. They are obviously trying to help out people who can't eat sugary sauce. Kudos to them for trying.

Prairie Smoke
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
The opening line lets us know immediately what the rest of the article will be like:

Barbecue sauce does for pulled pork what butter does for mashed potatoes; one can't be its best self without the other

Gore
04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I always find these lists a bit strange, like arguing which is better, Coke or Pepsi, or in this case, maybe throw in Dr. Pepper and Mt. Dew. I do find it interesting to see what people think, or rather what flavors are currently in style, but taste is so subjective. Thanks PD!

burnedpig
04-30-2010, 07:18 PM
The opening line lets us know immediately what the rest of the article will be like:

Barbecue sauce does for pulled pork what butter does for mashed potatoes; one can't be its best self without the other

You got that right!