PDA

View Full Version : Let Talk Home Made Sauce

kcquer
06-01-2004, 10:21 PM
BigMista and others have brought up sauce making recently. I thought it should have its own thread.

I've been a sauce mod guy. Buy some cheap marginal sauce, put some stuff in to fine tune it to my tastes. I've tried a few scratch recipes and hated all of them.

What do you use for a base for a tomato sauce? Tomato sauce, paste, puree? Mine always seems too cooked by the time its not too thin.

Sauce makers help us wannabes out a little.

hornbri
06-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Bigmista had some great sauce he made this weekend. Share that recipe.

Bigmista
06-02-2004, 01:08 AM
I usually fix up cheap sauces myself but I got a bug up my butt about making some from scratch so I got busy in the kitchen. The trick to making a tomato based sauce is getting rid of the tomato taste. Sounds crazy but it's true. It's impossible for me to give quantities because I never measure anything but here is a list of ingredients I used.

Ketchup
Worchestershire Sauce
Hot Sauce(Trappey's or Louisiana works fine)
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne or other red pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Lemon Juice
Cinnamon
Allspice
Brown Sugar
Some type of syrup (Maple is readily available and works great.)

Put al of the ingredients in a pot. Heat till it bubbles. Turn the fire down and simmer about 30 minutes. Slather it on some meat and eat!

Mista

parrothead
06-02-2004, 08:47 AM
KC ya gotta use ketchup.

I make my own and have had some pretty good batches. My next step is taking the ketchup out and using the raw ketchup ingredients. Someone told me that if you market a sauce you need to go down to all ingredients, otherwise the cost of the ketchup will kill ya. So, that is my next venture. I hope to get it all down and perfect before the fall bash.

I currently make a sweet and smokey, have not tried to heat it up yet.

kcquer
06-02-2004, 08:55 AM
KC ya gotta use ketchup.

Sounds like a logical intermediate step between sauce mod and complete scratch. I'll give that a try. Like I need to be makin' any sauce. I have 6 open bottles in the frig and 5 I have never tried in the pantry, including a apple cinnamon sauce and a honey habanero I picked up on the road trip last week.

I'm hopin' ckkphoto will ante up on this too.

Mark
06-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Check out what a gallon can of tomato sauce is at Sam's or Costco. Something like a couple bucks I think. Then build from that. Keep a log if you want systematically to improve.

Personally, I grow my own tomatos and tomatillos and peppers. Just a few hundred or so this season. I've still got gallons of frozen sauce, salsa, etc. from last season. Way better than anything storebought; especially fresh in season. Not necessarily cheaper than the cheapest though all things considered. But I do get to play in the dirt and eat good.

PS: My "secret" ingredients are Bandera smoke-dried pepper powder made from poblanos and habaneros.

Bigmofo300lbs
06-02-2004, 11:47 AM
I ALWAYS begin with ketchup. But in a pinch I will use tomato sauce and doctor it up from there. When you do your homemade sauce the way you like it then remember this. DO NOT CHANGE KETCHUP BRANDS...and DO NOT CHANGE TOMATO SAUCE BRANDS! Reason is if you do you will be essentially changing your receipe.

My wife and I have been working on two versions of our sauce for the better part of a year now. Pretty happy with it but still in the "prototype" stage. Right now we are thinking about making our ketchup from scratch and building our sauce from there. I know....pretty crazy. :shock:

BigAl
06-02-2004, 11:58 AM
I can't help out here at all, my "secret" sauce is my last hidden bottle of Head Country Hot! :D www.headcountry.com

Mark
06-02-2004, 12:03 PM
I ALWAYS begin with ketchup. But in a pinch I will use tomato sauce and doctor it up from there. When you do your homemade sauce the way you like it then remember this. DO NOT CHANGE KETCHUP BRANDS...and DO NOT CHANGE TOMATO SAUCE BRANDS! Reason is if you do you will be essentially changing your receipe.

My wife and I have been working on two versions of our sauce for the better part of a year now. Pretty happy with it but still in the "prototype" stage. Right now we are thinking about making our ketchup from scratch and building our sauce from there. I know....pretty crazy. :shock:

Got a recipe? Care to elaborate? I'd appreciate hearing it if you do.

parrothead
06-02-2004, 12:08 PM
My wife and I have been working on two versions of our sauce for the better part of a year now. Pretty happy with it but still in the "prototype" stage. Right now we are thinking about making our ketchup from scratch and building our sauce from there. I know....pretty crazy.

Not crazy at all. I'm doing the same thing. My mom has made her own ketchup for years. One batch of sauce that I made used her catsup and that was the best batch I ever made.

Jorge
06-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm not a huge sauce fan, but have worked on a few for those that do. I usually start with a recipe that looks pretty good and then start adapting it to the flavor I want. If you have Smoke and Spice there are a couple of recipes in there that are a pretty good starting point.

racer_81
06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Interesting. Most everybody chiming in is talking about a KC/OK/TX style sauce, basically ketchup based with no vinegar or mustard.

Anybody from the Carolinas wanna chime in - maybe some of you mustard sauce folks, or vinegar folks or ketchup/vinegar folks?

What about some Memphisites? Ketchup/mustard/brown sugar based sauces rule there I hear.

The basic sauce I grew up (and out) on is worsey/brown sugar/cider vinegar based. Yep, it's thin,
but it brings out the flavor in mutton, chicken and pork.

mmMMMmmmm.

Bill-Chicago
06-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Um Racer,

Tomato based sauces are from Illinois

parrothead
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM

I thought that everything bbq is from Illinois.

Bigmista
06-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah. When I think of BBQ, I always think of Illinois.

Sarcastic Mod (Did I do that right?) :lol:

Mista

Jorge
06-02-2004, 01:24 PM

Mista

Damn Skippy :lol:

auscos
06-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I have never been much of a sauce guy, since I believe the meat is the deal, but FWIW, when I was at the Dallas Athletic Club, we would buy "Pit" bbq sauce for about $3 a gallon and dump in some molasses, onion powder and garlic powder. The members loved it, often getting styro cups of it to take home.

parrothead
06-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Damn Skippy

How about a peanut butter base sauce. No, I am not kidding. Any body have a peanut sauce recipe?

parrothead
06-02-2004, 01:30 PM
African Ribs with Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Meats Ribs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 pounds pork backrib
1/4 cup oil
1 cup onion -- minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon coriander seed -- finly crushed
salt, pepper
chili oil
1 6 1/2 ounce can roasted shelled peanuts
1 eggplant -- cubed
juice 1/2 lemon
steamed carrots and green beans
2 teaspoons paprika

Broil ribs till brown. Heat 3 tbls oil in large pot. Saute onion and garlic
until tender. Add chicken broth and coriander seeds. Season to taste with
salt,pepper, chili oil. bring to boil. Add ribs, then simmer
covered, 1 hour or until ribs are tender.

Place peanuts in blender with remaining 1 tbls oil. Blend until finely
ground. Add toribs along with eggplant, lemon juice and paprika. Simmer until
eggplant in tender stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Add green beans and carrots before serving or serve vegetables alongside with
stew.

Note: 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter may be substituted for roasted peanuts.
Stir into sauce after eggplant is cooked.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Eggplant simmers along with the ribs, and beans and carrots are
either cooked with the meat or on the side. All you need to turn this in to a
substantial meal is steammed rice and/or French bread.

parrothead
06-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Title: PEANUT SAUCE #3
Categories: Chinese, Condiment
Yield: 1 servings

1/2 c Chunk-style peanut butter
1 1/2 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Water
1/2 ts Sugar
2 dr Tabasco sauce
1 Clove garlic, minced
1/2 c Water

Thoroughly combine the first 6 ingredients; slowly
stir in the 1/2 cup water, mixing until smooth. Makes
about 1 cup.

hornbri

Rolling on the floor laughing mod

parrothead
Title: Pork in Hot Peanut Sauce
Categories: Pork/ham, Sauces, Oriental
Yield: 4 servings

3 tb Peanut Oil 1/2 c Preserved Radish
1/2 lb Pork Butt 4 ea Sq. Canned Firm Bean Curd
2 ea Cloves Garlic; minced 2 ea Green onions
1 tb Minced Fresh Ginger Root

-----------------------------------SAUCE-----------------------------------
2 tb Crunchy Peanut Butter 2 ea Dried Hot Red Chili
Peppers;
1 tb Dark Soy Sauce 2 ts Sugar
1 tb Cider Vinegar 1/3 c Stock
2 tb Sesame Oil 1/2 ts MSG (optional)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++
Soak radish in warm water for 45 minutes. Cut pork into 1/2"
cubes. Drain & rinse canned bean curd; cut into 1/2" cubes. (If using
fresh bean curd, wrap it in clean dish towel and press it for 1 hour to
make it more firm. Wrap it tightly & use about a 5-pound weight.) Drain
radish & cut into 1/2" cubes. Cut green onions, including tops, into 2"
lengths.
Sauce: In a cup, cream together peanut butter and soy sauce. Slowly mix
in remaining sauce ingredients. Set aside.
Stir-frying: Add oil to hot wok. When oil starts to smoke, add pork.
Stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add garlic & ginger; stir-fry for another 30
seconds. Transfer pork to saucepan; add peanut sauce; heat & simmer for 15
minutes, adding onions about mid-way. Skim off excess oil. Add more stock
if sauce thickens.
Steaming: In Chinese steamer, steam radish & bean curd on its serving
plate for 15 minutes, just prior to serving. When ready to serve, drain
water off plate, and top vegetables with pork & peanut sauce.

parrothead
06-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Some of these may be worth a try.

racer_81
Um Racer,

Sorry. I forgot about pizza and pasta sauces.

parrothead
Title: Prawns with Peanut Sauce
Categories: Seafood, Low fat, Indonesian, Ethnic
Yield: 4 servings

1 lb Medium prawns
1 c White wine
1 1/2 tb Smooth peanut butter
2 tb Safflower oil
1 1/2 tb Light honey
2 tb Low-sodium soy or tamari
-sauce
2 ts Rice vinegar
1/2 ts Dark sesame oil
1/2 ts Cayenne pepper
1 tb Green onion; minced
1 1/2 ts Ground coriander
1/2 ts Ground cumin
4 c Steamed rice; (optional)

Recipe by: the California Culinary Academy Preparation Time: 0:25

1. Wash prawns, peel, and devein. Place in a large saucepan with wine. Cook
over medium-high heat until they turn bright pink. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl mix together peanut butter and safflower oil until
smooth. Add honey, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, cayenne, green onion,
coriander, and cumin. Mix well, then add prawns. Place prawns and sauce in
saucepan and reheat. Serve over steamed rice (if desired).

racer_81
06-02-2004, 01:33 PM

Mista

Nice job.

parrothead
06-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Rather than completely drown out the nature of this thread, go to recipesource.com, and type in peanut sauce. It came up with 4 pages full of this stuff. For the newer guys, I have found that recipesource is the most extensive recipe list on the net.

BigAl
06-02-2004, 01:55 PM
African Ribs with Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :
Categories : Meats Ribs

2 1/2 pounds pork backrib
1/4 cup oil
1 cup onion -- minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon coriander seed -- finly crushed
salt, pepper
chili oil
1 6 1/2 ounce can roasted shelled peanuts
1 eggplant -- cubed
juice 1/2 lemon
steamed carrots and green beans
2 teaspoons paprika

Broil ribs till brown. Heat 3 tbls oil in large pot. Saute onion and garlic
until tender. Add chicken broth and coriander seeds. Season to taste with
salt,pepper, chili oil. bring to boil. Add ribs, then simmer
covered, 1 hour or until ribs are tender.

Place peanuts in blender with remaining 1 tbls oil. Blend until finely
ground. Add toribs along with eggplant, lemon juice and paprika. Simmer until
eggplant in tender stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Add green beans and carrots before serving or serve vegetables alongside with
stew.

Note: 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter may be substituted for roasted peanuts.
Stir into sauce after eggplant is cooked.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Eggplant simmers along with the ribs, and beans and carrots are
either cooked with the meat or on the side. All you need to turn this in to a
substantial meal is steammed rice and/or French bread.

Cold SPAM is better any day than Boiled Ribs! :D

Bigmofo300lbs
06-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Interesting. Most everybody chiming in is talking about a KC/OK/TX style sauce, basically ketchup based with no vinegar or mustard.

Anybody from the Carolinas wanna chime in - maybe some of you mustard sauce folks, or vinegar folks or ketchup/vinegar folks?

What about some Memphisites? Ketchup/mustard/brown sugar based sauces rule there I hear.

The basic sauce I grew up (and out) on is worsey/brown sugar/cider vinegar based. Yep, it's thin,

mmMMMmmmm.

Being as I am originally from North Carolina (GO TARHEELS!) I still add vinegar to my sauce to give it that NC flavor. Back there sauces are thin and vinegary. I try to bring a little bit of that to my sauce without being as thin.

racer_81
06-02-2004, 01:59 PM
I thought Bill was the Inventor of the Illinois Yellow Peanut Sauce.

parrothead
06-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Cold SPAM is better any day than Boiled Ribs!

It says bRoiled

Bigmista
06-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Damn Skippy

How about a peanut butter base sauce. No, I am not kidding. Any body have a peanut sauce recipe?

There is a Filipino lady here at my job who makes oxtails in a peanut butter sauce. It could work...

Mista

Bigmofo300lbs
06-02-2004, 02:09 PM

Got a recipe? Care to elaborate? I'd appreciate hearing it if you do.

At risk of being an a**H***, i can't give out the recipe trying to get it to the point of having it bottled and sold. Hope you understand. I did start by doctoring store bought sauces. Just to figure out what I liked. From there I just starting thinking about making my own and here I am doing it.

jt
06-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I made a mild & hot pulled pork sauce (thin vinegar variety) by combining a tweaking about 3 recipes. Then on Memorial Day I got in trouble with the family when I didn't bring any of the sauce to go with the BBCs. It does go with chicken rather well.

Bigmista
06-02-2004, 02:12 PM
I don't blame you MOFO. I have one secret ingredient for my sauce that Inever give out.

Secret Squirrel Mod

parrothead
06-02-2004, 02:13 PM
At risk of being an a**H***, i can't give out the recipe trying to get it to the point of having it bottled and sold. Hope you understand.

I have plans on doing the same eventually. Good luck to ya.

jt
06-02-2004, 02:14 PM
At risk of being an a**H***, i can't give out the recipe trying to get it to the point of having it bottled and sold. Hope you understand. I did start by doctoring store bought sauces. Just to figure out what I liked. From there I just starting thinking about making my own and here I am doing it.

I wouldn't call you one, and it's not because you're twice as big as me! :D

However I would be interested in trying it if you joined the Sauce trading group Bill's working on. Hint, hint :D

BigAl
06-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Cold SPAM is better any day than Boiled Ribs!

It says bRoiled

My bad read, Parrot. Glad I read it wrong, thought you had lost your mind. :D

But my statement is still correct! :lol: My Mom used to only Boil Ribs and pan fry SPAM. The ribs had no taste, if you could even chew 'em but the SPAM was always good!

Mark
06-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Good one racer!

BigAl
06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Good one racer!

Racer got 3 good ones in on this thread. When I went to School in Chicago and later traveled there on business, they had no good Mexican food or Q, all pasta and pizza joints.

Not to say that our Chicago site brothers haven't learned how to make good Q. And learned the value of good slaw on their pulled and sauced Qed pork samages! :D

kcquer
06-02-2004, 05:37 PM

mmMMMmmmm.

Racer, in error I said in my initial post I hated the sauces I made. I did try two that were really good on pork. One was a ketchup, vinegar and lemon juice from the recipes section (carolina pulled pork sauce) and one from files that was a vinegar, brown sugar, red and black pepper sauce. Pulled pork has always been a bit fatty for my tastes. The acidity in these sauces really tames the fattiness of pork butt. I liked them both and will make them both again or use elements of them in other attempts for pork sauce.

Heath
06-02-2004, 10:27 PM
The ultimate sauce for pulled pork IMHO is from Little Pigs restaurant in Statesville NC. If we have any brothers in the area maybe they could get some and decipher the recipe?

The peanut recipe I used to have. I did about 50 lbs of ribs for my sisters wedding reception, she was married in Hawaii, so she got a recipe from there. I'll look and see if I still have it around. It was not to peanutty and did have a little heat in it.

cheez
06-03-2004, 07:49 AM
Here's a sauce recipe I'd like to share with the Brethren. As the name suggests, it's intended for chicken. I like it best on thighs (hence my thigh vote in the chicken poll), but it is good on the other parts too. I have also tried it once on "country style" ribs, and that was pretty good too. Think I'll have to try it on some other stuff sometime. I originally got it from a fishing message board I frequent - the name on it is to credit the guy who posted it there. Oh - it's also pretty low-carb, another reason I've been making it more lately.

Esteban's Barbecue Sauce for Chicken:

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp Colmans dry mustard
3 tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery salt
1 sm can tomato paste

Simmer, loosely covered, for 20 minutes. Rest/refrigerate. Brush chicken pieces at every turn after first browning (about every five minutes or so). Damp down to avoid flames from the oil.

racer_81
06-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Good one racer!

Thanks.

Bill has no comeback - yet. When he takes this long
it's usually a doozie.

8)

Bill-Chicago
06-03-2004, 04:29 PM

Everything cept that farking cole slaw on the pork sandwich.

Just cuz "Elvis" like it that way, Memphis made it "theirs"

Hello, Elvis was a drug addict. He probably **** on his pork sandwich to remind him of home and couldnt tell the difference.

racer_81
06-03-2004, 04:33 PM

Everything cept that farking cole slaw on the pork sandwich.

Just cuz "Elvis" like it that way, Memphis made it "theirs"

Hello, Elvis was a drug addict. He probably **** on his pork sandwich to remind him of home and couldnt tell the difference.

Good point. There's no drug addicts in Illinois.......

Bigmista
06-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Bobby Flat was at a place in Memphis that said they invented BBQ pizza for Elvis. Possibly a good idea. But then again, Elvis also ate fried peanut butter & banana sandwiches...

Bill-Chicago
06-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Nope, pushed them all into St Louis.

Plus, once Brian moved, the supply dried up.

racer_81
06-04-2004, 12:13 AM

I moved a bottle of salad dressing around in the fridge tonite
and "rediscovered" a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's.

Now, Bill, your avatar is making me hungry.

racer_81
06-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Hello, Elvis was a drug addict.

Uh oh. You realize you dissed The King.

You're gonna get a knock on the door and there'll be
a bunch of Elvis' there and they ain't gonna be saying:

Thank you, thank you very much.

Bigmofo300lbs
06-04-2004, 12:22 AM

Picturing that is funny as hell!! Though Elvis was never really high on my list. Well, I mean, he was "high" on everyone's list but just not high on mine. Uh, know what I am saying? :?

auscos
06-04-2004, 12:59 AM

I moved a bottle of salad dressing around in the fridge tonite
and "rediscovered" a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's.

Now, Bill, your avatar is making me hungry.

HEB has a 50 cent coupon for that this week. Should I get a bottle?

Bill-Chicago
06-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Definitely.

Its some pretty good stuff. Good, and cheap (at least it is here, cause theres no transportation cost. Made here in the burbs)

Its a nice sweet sauce.

I think it is great for grilling, cause it has a squeeze type lid with a little hole dealie in it (like a Heinz ketchup bottle). So its easy to apply on the grilled boobs or whatever cuz it don't go pouring out all over.

racer_81
06-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Definitely.

Its some pretty good stuff. Good, and cheap (at least it is here, cause theres no transportation cost. Made here in the burbs)

Its a nice sweet sauce.

I think it is great for grilling, cause it has a squeeze type lid with a little hole dealie in it (like a Heinz ketchup bottle). So its easy to apply on the grilled boobs or whatever cuz it don't go pouring out all over.

Ditto.

midnight
06-04-2004, 09:52 AM
My local Menards store sells it by the bottle or by the gallon jug. I don't know the price but I remember it was cheap. They have whole pallets of the stuff setting in the isles.

Guess I should try some.

Bill-Chicago
06-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Midnight,
Check your grocer too.

I get it for like 1.59 regular, .99 on sale. My Menards has it too, but always at like 2.29 or so, and rarely on sale

Bigmista
06-04-2004, 01:31 PM

Isn't the plural of Elvis, "Elvii"?

Fake Grammar Mod

ckkphoto
06-04-2004, 03:10 PM

Aren't those the little sacs in lungs that exchange air?

tommykendall
06-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Bobby Flat

I think I know that dude. :roll:

Bigmofo300lbs
06-06-2004, 05:32 PM

That sounds like a rash or something. "I heard Parrothead came down with a nasty case of Elvii".

"I am not a Dr. but I play one on TV" Mod

parrothead
06-06-2004, 07:21 PM
That sounds like a rash or something. "I heard Parrothead came down with a nasty case of Elvii".

Alright. Ya got me.

Bill-Chicago
06-06-2004, 07:52 PM

Alright. Ya got me.

Mofo,
Congrats.
In only 30 posts you mastered not only the "mod", but also how to shoot your own thread to hell and back.

Welcome brother.

parrothead
06-07-2004, 08:25 AM
but also how to shoot your own thread to hell and back.

This from a master, is the greatest of compliments, mofo. LMAO

Bill-Chicago
06-07-2004, 08:47 AM
but also how to shoot your own thread to hell and back.

This from a master, is the greatest of compliments, mofo. LMAO

Greg, remember you were like 600 posts less than me, and you actually thought you might catch up one day. Bah ha ha.

If I had a gun I'd be the Postmaster General.

parrothead
06-07-2004, 08:52 AM
If I had a gun I'd be the Postmaster General.

No tools, AND no gun? What kind of man are you?

kcquer
06-08-2004, 06:26 AM
Back on page 1, Greg and Bigmo suggest the use of ketchup as a base for homade sauce. Any particular brand work well for this? Bigmo, good tip on the sticking with one brand. I wouldn't have thought of this and been pissed when I couldn't replicate something I thought was good.

Bill-Chicago
06-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Try Sodium Free Heinz, then you add your own sodium to taste.

parrothead
06-08-2004, 08:03 AM
I always used brooks. No more store bought though after I get the homemade version down.

Brooks may not be available all over. I think it might be a store brand or something local. Don't know for sure, but it was cheaper, and a little better.

Arlin_MacRae
06-08-2004, 08:42 AM
I have had a LOT of luck with this sauce. I thin some of it and use it as a mop and my babybacks slay them in their chairs.

Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce

Recipe By :
Categories : Bbq Sauces

1/2 large Onion -- chopped
4 Cloves garlic -- chopped
2 cups Ketchup
1/3 cup Vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Brown sugar -- packed
3/4 cup Molasses
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 tablespoon Salt
1/4 cup Tomato paste
2 teaspoons Liquid Barbecue Smoke
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce -- to taste
1/2 cup to 1 gallon <g> Jack Daniels Whiskey

Combine onion, garlic and bourbon in a 3 qt saucepan. Saute until onion and
garlic are translucent, about 10 min. Flame if possible. Add all remaining
ingredients, bring to boil, then turn down mixture to a medium simmer.
Simmer for 20 min. stirring constantly. Run through strainer if you want a
smooth sauce. Makes 4 cups.

Bigmofo300lbs
06-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Try Sodium Free Heinz, then you add your own sodium to taste.

Now that is a good suggetion. I am going to give that a try. I like the idea of controling the sodium. And I am with Parrothead, no more store bought sauce once I get my homemade version down.

MrSmoker
12-13-2005, 09:25 PM
I read this thread looking for some idea how long your homemade sauce will keep in the fridg,not being sealed like the store bought.I have been making one bottle at a time for personal use,but would like to make some a head.I'm not ready for prime time yet,not planning on selling it.

Neil
12-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Can your sauce. Place in mason canning jars and boil for 45 minutes with lids on but do not tighten completely. After you take them out, you will hear the lids seal on the jar as they start to cool because of the vaccuum that is created by the temperature change. After the lids get "sucked down on the jar finger tighten the cap ring.

I always make a big batch of sauce when I smoke a brisket. I boil the Dr. Pepper marinade then add ketchup, vinegar, sautee'd onions and garlic, japs, habs, and chili powder.

sfisch
12-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Would there be any benefit to smoking the ketchup before making a sauce to give it a smokey taste?
Scott

brdbbq
12-14-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't see how it would retain the flavor ? I would just use the liquid chit.

spicewine
12-14-2005, 09:05 AM
I read this thread looking for some idea how long your homemade sauce will keep in the fridg,not being sealed like the store bought.I have been making one bottle at a time for personal use,but would like to make some a head.I'm not ready for prime time yet,not planning on selling it.

Send me a small sample and I will put my acid tester in it. If it is a high enough Ph, it won't need to be put in the fridg. If it is not high enough Ph, you can add an acid ( vinegar ect. ) and then balance the tartness by adding some sweet.

rookiedad
12-14-2005, 09:24 AM
try some balsamic vinegar in bbq sauce, and if you want to substitute the ketchup with something or make your own ketchup you can't use tomatoe sauce, you have to use paste to get the right consistancy. also, try some tamarind puree. enjoy!
phil

brdbbq
12-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Send me a small sample and I will put my acid tester in it. If it is a high enough Ph, it won't need to be put in the fridg. If it is not high enough Ph, you can add an acid ( vinegar ect. ) and then balance the tartness by adding some sweet.

What is the PH # and why not use Litmus Paper ?

spicewine
12-14-2005, 10:25 AM
4.5 or lower is recommended. Originally posted higher Ph---My bad!! Brain fart!! 4.5 is the absolute maximum for shelf stability.

I bought a digital Ph tester to use when developing new sauces. My Bottler also does this but I don't like having to change the recipe without being there to be able to make sure it is the taste that I am looking for.

brdbbq
12-14-2005, 10:27 AM
For farking around I think Litmus would be fine and fairly easy to come by. no ? But trust me I like digital just can't imagine why ? :roll:

jpw23
12-14-2005, 01:56 PM

mmMMMmmmm.

I make my own sauce and manage to sell a few jars to a couple of local rib houses and a couple of grocery stores...........my sauces are thin.,..for easy mopping, and have all of what you described above...brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, mustard. Heres an easy recipe
4 cup ketchup
4 cups brown sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 large onion ( chopped fine )
1 clove garlic ( chopped fine )
2 tbsp worst.sauce
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp cinnimon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 can of beer

mix together in large pot
bring to boil ( stirring constantly )
reduce volume by 1/3 or when sauce burps out of the pot and burns you....then its done!:biggrin:

jpw23
12-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Can your sauce. Place in mason canning jars and boil for 45 minutes with lids on but do not tighten completely. After you take them out, you will hear the lids seal on the jar as they start to cool because of the vaccuum that is created by the temperature change. After the lids get "sucked down on the jar finger tighten the cap ring.

I always make a big batch of sauce when I smoke a brisket. I boil the Dr. Pepper marinade then add ketchup, vinegar, sautee'd onions and garlic, japs, habs, and chili powder.

I put my jars in a pressure canner @ 10lbs for 45 minutes..........some have lasted more than a year on the shelf......might last longer!:biggrin:

elvis67
12-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I make my own sauce and manage to sell a few jars to a couple of local rib houses and a couple of grocery stores...........my sauces are thin.,..for easy mopping, and have all of what you described above...brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, mustard. Heres an easy recipe
4 cup ketchup
4 cups brown sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 large onion ( chopped fine )
1 clove garlic ( chopped fine )
2 tbsp worst.sauce
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp cinnimon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 can of beer

mix together in large pot
bring to boil ( stirring constantly )
reduce volume by 1/3 or when sauce burps out of the pot and burns you....then its done!:biggrin:
I put together a Carolina style sauce last summer here in the flat lands of Kansas. Wanted a little shock value as folks around are used to the thick sweet sauces. I used 3 cups cider vinegar, 1 cups ketchup,2 tsp kosher salt , 2 tbsp brown sugar, little over 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Wisked it all together to disolve sugar and salt, let sit in the fridge for couple hours , put into a squeeze bottle and let er rip. Lot of folks had'nt ever had any thing like it but loved it . It really complemented the pulled pork I did.

Hoorenga
12-14-2005, 10:03 PM
I just discovered that you can buy ketchup in gallon cans for a lot cheaper than the large 64 oz jugs.

Kevin
12-14-2005, 10:44 PM
I just discovered that you can buy ketchup in gallon cans for a lot cheaper than the large 64 oz jugs.

That's too funny Hoo. My latest goofy idiosyncrasy to agravate my bride is my new collection of "giant cans" or #10 cans, you referred to as gallon cans. I've found Franks Kraut, Heinz Ketchup, Hunts Tomatoe Sauce and Paste, Bush's Baked Beans, and all kinds of other stuff in the "Giant Cans". I'm sure the guys that shop at restaraunt depot have seen many others.
You are right. The price is kind of unbelievable. Very inexpensive if you're used to paying retail for the consumer size. My bride thinks I'm nuts, but I just don't do small batches. I dug up this thread and did a cut and paste on all of the suggestions for sauces. Gonna try em all with a little of my own twists. May be too cold and snowy to que every day, but I can still play with sauces.