PDA

View Full Version : How would you reheat your pulled pork?

Smoke Show
04-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Some friends want me to make pulled pork for their sons graduation.The party is on Thursday, and I will have to smoke the meat the weekend before. How would you guys go about reheating the meat for the party so it's still tender and juicy? I was thinking of putting it in a roaster with a little water and chicken broth. Is this a good idea or a bad one?
Thanks,

nonthink
04-25-2010, 01:18 PM
I would pull it first. Seal it up as well as you can and freeze it. It shouldn't sit in the frige. For 4 days, it may start to get a little funky. After you defrost it place in a well sealed disposable chafing pan. Warm it up in the oven with maybe some apple juice. Then placee it over some sternos. That what I would do.

Baby Back Maniac
04-25-2010, 01:34 PM
What temp should you reheat in the oven at? Thanks.

Hyper
04-25-2010, 01:38 PM
I reheat mine in the Crockpot.

PCDoctor_1979
04-25-2010, 01:41 PM
The idea here is to get the meat back to at least 165 degrees before serving. I've found it's best to do this slowly, so set the oven for 200 degrees or so and allow plenty of time. You can place a pan of water below the meat to assist in preventing the meat from drying out. The roaster will work great for transporting and holding the meat at the appropriate serving temp (at least 140). I might spray a little apple juice on the pork after moving it to the roaster if needed. Good luck with the party!

NewEnglandQ
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I seal it in a vac-pac and then drop the pack in hot water to heat

BBQchef33
04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

thats it right there. Put it in a foodsuck or boiling bag and drop into boiling water. I have used oven roasting bags for large amounts.

reheating in the oven, even covered makes it dry out imo. Better off just dousing with apple juice and heating on the stove tossing it with tongs. Problem with that way is you have to play with it to stirr and it breaks apart. My absolute preferred method is dropping the bag in boiling water. it doesn't dry it out, doesnt break it apart, doesnt make it mush, and is real fast.

rdenn_58
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Pull it, food saver, and then to the freezer. When you are ready to serve, throw your frozen packaged delights into boiling water. When hot, put into warmed server with small amount of bbq sauce to keep the meat moist. Works great and still tender. :clap2:

Chef Jim
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I reheat mine in the Crockpot.
What he said, real easy

Cryodain
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
This is a problem I've been having and never thought to ask, but thanks for all the great advice

bocephus
04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Something I do (Learned from the resturant) after I pull the pork, I season it and put some apple juice or other liquid with it then wrap it in in plastic wrap, then in foil. And when its time to to reheat I do it in a oven at around 225 or in my smoker at 225 till it hits 160. works great for me

Vince B
04-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Problem with that way is you have to play with it to stirr and it breaks apart. My absolute preferred method is dropping the bag in boiling water. it doesn't dry it out, doesnt break it apart, doesnt make it mush, and is real fast.

While looking for some info on reheating frozen tamale's the other day I was reading a post by Divemaster about reheating pulled pork. He said that he does not shred the PP to fine because of it breaking up when reheated. I have found this problem as well so I'm considering it next time I freeze some. BTW Jeff if your reading this thanks for the reheating tips!:clap2:

BRBBQ
04-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Pulled and vac bagged, reheating in hot water:clap2: and I also prefer wrapping the whole thing in saran wrap while it's still warm, seals the air out same as vac packed, reheat how ever, taste just as good micro waved now.
The apple juice don't do it for me and I don't think your chicken broth will go good with pork, I know beef don't.

schellter
04-25-2010, 10:57 PM
When reheating vac bagged pork in boiling water how do you judge the amount of time for reheating?

BBQchef33
04-25-2010, 11:11 PM
As they are warming up, you pull the bag and squeeze it in place to mix things around.

when they are to hot to hold, they are done. :)

A one gallon ziplock, packed nicely, from semi frozen/very cold, takes about 10-15 minutes.

Ribbin' Randy
04-26-2010, 08:44 AM
The ONE time I had left-overs I heated up some sauce and then put in my pork

BBQchef33
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
The ONE time I had left-overs I heated up some sauce and then put in my pork

Ouch. Didnt it blister? :bow:

ok... off to penalty box for me. :wave:

jeffboyette
04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
I pull it roughly! Big Chunks. pack it tight in saran wrap and foil. Freeze or refridgerate. Place in 250 degree oven 1-2 hours.

righteousdog
04-26-2010, 09:31 AM
I 2nd the crock pot. Or my 15 years in foodservice says steamtable but I don't have one of those laying around. Double boil it over the sternos?...nah, crock pot = easy and hard to go wrong. Never did me bad anyways.

luke duke
04-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Vacuum seal and reheat in boiling water. I usually thaw the meat before I put it in the boiling water.

Smoke Show
04-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Now I need to decide which way I want to reheat the pork. I appreciate all the input I got from you guys.
I love this forum :thumb:

QuietOne
04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

thats it right there. Put it in a foodsuck or boiling bag and drop into boiling water. ........ snip Actually did this. I did pulled pork for a bike rally and it worked out great.

Did about 20 bag at a 0.5kg before starting to serve them into pans over canned heat and then just kept dropping in the water and pulling them out as the line kept going. Get it back to a roiling boil five minutes and pull them out. Drop more in and serve the bags I pulled out. Was an assembly line but it worked. Boiling behind me. Pans in front. Away we went.

I didn't get paid or anything like that. They bought the meat. I cooked it. Got free beer etc.

deez butts
04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree the oven or any other dry cooking method seems to dry out the pork when reheating. I like to collect the drippings when the pork is initially cooking, remove the fat with a gravy separator and then reheat the pork in these drippings. If the drippings need to be extended some broth along with apple cider and some additional items can be used. Sometimes I find my beer finds its way in there too, but that depends on how much of it I’ve already had.

Bacchus
04-27-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree the oven or any other dry cooking method seems to dry out the pork when reheating. I like to collect the drippings when the pork is initially cooking, remove the fat with a gravy separator and then reheat the pork in these drippings. If the drippings need to be extended some broth along with apple cider and some additional items can be used. Sometimes I find my beer finds its way in there too, but that depends on how much of it I’ve already had.

deez butts, that is possibly the first worthwile idea I have ever heard regarding heating pulled pork, except for the beer part anyway. I find anything other than putting it in a crockpot or dutch oven(without liquid) to be counter productive. It does seem that would be some seriously smokey drippings though, possibly too smokey. Is this something you have been doing a long time? I am very intrigued. :-P

bobaftt
04-27-2010, 07:09 AM
I always mix in a little rub a little apple juice and a little barbecue sauce and reheat in the oven. If you have a foodsaver thats a great way to do it as well.

MikeR
04-27-2010, 07:45 AM
This past week I had some left over pulled pork from Williepalooza- vac sealed and froze- brought to work for the guys and microwaved,still sealed- came out perfect.

deez butts
04-27-2010, 10:50 AM
deez butts, that is possibly the first worthwile idea I have ever heard regarding heating pulled pork, except for the beer part anyway. I find anything other than putting it in a crockpot or dutch oven(without liquid) to be counter productive. It does seem that would be some seriously smokey drippings though, possibly too smokey. Is this something you have been doing a long time? I am very intrigued. :-P

I've been doing this for a year or two and there is some smokiness in the drippings but it is not overtly so. Sometimes I need to put some liquid in the drip pan before the cook too so that the drippings don’t burn up. If they burn they aren’t usable. What just gets me going is all the collagen and pork goodness in the drippings. When I put the drippings in the fridge it congeals like jello.

kwas68
07-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I know I'm reviving a dead thread. I've tried the oven and crockpot methods before and wasn't impressed with the results. I felt like it lost moisture. This past weekend I did the vacuum pack into the hot water. This is THE way to reheat your pulled pork. All the moisture was there and the stuff was piping hot and you can't overdo it. It was a time saver too. I could man the grill instead of pulling the pork at our last party. In addition, I found another reason to use the side burner on my gasser other than lighting my charcoal chimney.

kik_start
07-12-2011, 07:39 PM
we cook two at a time and I vacuum pack one when it cools, usually broken up into smaller pieces but not pulled. I re-heat in the vacuum bag in boiling water, you can't tell the difference from the day it was cooked.