PDA

View Full Version : Bandera Smoker Door Insulation

Smokey Bones
04-23-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm wanting to insulate the smoker door of my Bandera smoker. With spring time it's time for a good cleaning and repainting. I've read the Bandera 101 doc and some other threads that adding insulation is a good thing. But many seem to have a problem with the rope insulation staying stuck to the door.

Aluminum channel with the insulation inside seems to be the way to go. My question is how is the aluminum channel solidly installed to the door so it doesn't fall off?

Divemaster
04-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Got me... You may have to revert back to using screews and bolts to hold it...

Chef Jim
04-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I used this on mine. Woven Fiberglass Gasket from McMaster-Carr PN 8813K31 It is self adhesive and I must say that it doesn't stick that well on my fire box but the door closes so tight that it has not come off. Works real good! :clap2:

I just got a new adhesive from them yesterday. Can't find the invoice, but it is rated at 2000 degrees and specificaly states that it is for bonding fiberglass gasket to metal.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#furnace-adhesives/=6sg74d

Found it page 3377 on their site PN 7573A65 (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:TargetLink%28%27TR742%27,%27tr%27,%27PT7421%2 7,%277573A65%27%29;)

Don't know how it will work but its worth a try. Good luck

Smokey Bones
04-23-2010, 06:47 PM
The adhesive looks good, and also found the page for rope insulation. If I go with aluminum channels, the square shape should fit and seal better than the round. Thanks Jim.

Chef Jim
04-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Did you see the gasket I mentioned? I looked at rope but thought it was too thick. My door does not have that kind of clearance. The stuff I used made it hard to lock the door shut until it wore in a little.

And what kind of alum. channel are you thinking of? Not familiar with how to do that.

Smokey Bones
04-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Think of using 1/2" aluminum channel from Home Depot. Comes in 8' lengths that I can cut to size. If I can't find a good adhesive to get it to stick to the door, I plan on some very small brass bolts (with washers) to go through the door and into it. The gold color of the brass would look cool on the black door.

Mark
04-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Insulating the door? Do you mean adding a door gasket? If so, a tried and true method that is also easy is laying a bead of red silicone and embedding fiberglass rope into it and then shujtting the door tight till it cures. This mod has served me well for about 5 years now and no signs of anything giving out.

The trick is preparing the door surface that gets the silicone and putting Vaseline where the door closes to the firebox.

Chef Jim
04-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Mark, can you tell me what kind of red silicon you are using. I just purchased some black stuff from McMaster-Carr and think it will work but I sure would like to know about yours.

I have to try to seal the doors on my off set.

CrimsonSmoke
04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
When I put my alum. channels in I used L shaped ones. I used rivets to hold to door.

KFDFireCaptain
04-27-2010, 09:14 AM
will someone post some pics?

Mark
04-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Mark, can you tell me what kind of red silicon you are using. I just purchased some black stuff from McMaster-Carr and think it will work but I sure would like to know about yours.

I have to try to seal the doors on my off set.

Any place like Auto Zone carries high temperature red silicone

Mark
04-27-2010, 09:20 AM
PS:

Jim; I followed the link http://www.mcmaster.com/#furnace-adhesives/=6sg74d

To me, their prices are excessive and then you have to pay shipping as well.

I have no intent in starting any $hitstorm but it seems this company is leading you down the primrose path again. Just some brotherly advice. Please take it or leave it as just that.

Chef Jim
04-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Mark, thanks for that. The fiberglass gasket seems to work OK, just the adhesive.

howy61
06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
So far, I have not had any problem with Rutland 5/8 gasket tape and gasket cement. Ordered online and delivered for free to the local Ace Hardware.

Just read about another option. Rutland Silicone. Lay a bead and cover with wax paper. Close the door and after it dries removes the wax paper and trim the extra silicone.