PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Asparagus.

JazzyBadger
04-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I was making some chicken drumsticks today, and I had a bundle of asparagus I got from the supermarket, decided I'd go and mess with it a bit, see how I could go.

I took four cloves of garlic, sliced em thin, and sauteed them in about two teaspoons of butter.

Then I put two tablespoons of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and about 1/8 of a teaspoon of garlic powder into the garlic/butter combo. Took it off the heat, let it sit there.

While it was sitting I chopped up an onion, and laid the wheels down on a cast iron skillet.

Laid the asparagus spears on top of the onions, then drizzled the butter concoction on top of that.

Threw it in the pit next to the coals, lifted the grate, threw some oak ontop of the coals, let the smoke get blue, closed the cooking chamber.
I smoked em for a total of an hour at about 250 degrees, took about two hours cause of adding charcoal and wood to the mix, added times cause I was avoiding that white smoke.

The skillet kept em from getting too much smoke in my opinion, and the oak flavor really blended well with the lemon juice.

My family LOVED it, I was very pleased.

No pictures taken of my foods cooked yet, soon though. :D

Haltech
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I LOVE asparagus. I will def have to try this out. Thanks

landarc
04-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I love the combination of live fire and asparagus

stiffy
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Asparagus is AWESOME, suprisingly, but its gotta be spicy and always include garlic on my plate!! Try Roasted Garlic, the already minced jar variety.

bigabyte
04-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Asparagus from the grill or smoker is by far the best asparagus you'll ever eat IMHO.

Chuckwagonbbqco
04-23-2010, 12:55 AM
The only way to make smoked asparagus any better than it is plain is to make "Mezcal Hollandaise" Follow any recipe for Hollandaise sauce but use Tequilla in place of lemon or lime juice. My Gawd

SmokeJumper
04-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I just fired up the egg tonight and wok seared asparagus and flank steak with broad rice noodles(chow fun) in a black bean sauce. The slightly charred asparagus was amazing. I need to get a decent camera to post some pron!

Phubar
04-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Asparagus from the grill or smoker is by far the best asparagus you'll ever eat IMHO.

:amen:

DC-Q
04-23-2010, 06:50 AM
The only way to make smoked asparagus any better than it is plain is to make "Mezcal Hollandaise" Follow any recipe for Hollandaise sauce but use Tequilla in place of lemon or lime juice. My Gawd

I'm relatively sure wrapping it in bacon would make it better :-P.

Oh, I know, wrap it in bacon & smoke it then, put the hollandaise sauce on.

I think we're getting somewhere with this. Darn, I'm going away for the weekend so I cant try it till next week.

rockyathabaska
04-30-2010, 01:53 AM
I just fired up the egg tonight and wok seared asparagus and flank steak with broad rice noodles(chow fun) in a black bean sauce. The slightly charred asparagus was amazing. I need to get a decent camera to post some pron!

get that camera!
That sounds fantastic!
My wife isn't so much into the meat,and sometimes neither am I .The noodles into the mix sounds perfect for us.
Are you into Thai food too?

Rocky