PDA

View Full Version : Beef short ribs great for leftovers

Stucue74
05-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Albertson's had a buy one 3lb pack of beef short ribs get one free a couple weeks ago so I couldn't pass it up. That's the first time I smoked short ribs. I did them the same way I do baby backs, 2-2-1 method. They turned out pretty good, what kind of time do you guys cook yours?

Yesterday for dinner we were in a little hurry and pulled em out in the food saver package, cut an opening in the package and went from freezer to microwave and done in 4 minutes--Tasted like right out of the Dera! Still had some left over from last night so I sliced real thin for chopped bbq sandwiches for lunch.

Beef short ribs are mmm good :o

parrothead
05-26-2004, 09:30 AM
I have not done any of these yet. We have a near by bar that just rented out their kitchen to a chef. One of the items on his menu is dinasaur bones (beef short ribs). These things are huge. You get two of them on your plate along with the fixins and you have to be real hungry to polish everything off.

Anyway, these farkers have to be about 3 inches thick before he starts cooking them.

Are the ones you bought cut single already, or are they in a slab? If cut single I would try the 3-2-1. If they are in a slab I would go for more like 4-3-1.

Stucue74
05-26-2004, 09:40 AM
The ribs I always see and bought were cut in singles about 2" thick or so. They were really good, but not exactly fall apart which is what I'm aiming for. I really went about 2.5-2-1 at temps hovering around 230. Guess I could have upped the temp or kept them on a little longer. But yeah, even two of these can feed a hungry dude.

Jorge
05-26-2004, 11:25 AM
I like to use the rub found here http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?module=recipes&func=display&lid=80&pid=5 . It isn't overpowering but gives the beef a nice flavor with the right smoke. I usually use a mix of mesquite and pecan. If fall apart tender is your goal you might try a marinade. I use one that includes mustard, vinegar, and tomato juice that helps quite a bit. Might have to see about getting a smaller smoker to toss in the back of the truck for Texas/OU this October and tailgate at the Cotton Bowl. We could trade Q secrets before joining the blood feud for 3 hrs

brdbbq
05-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Come over to my place we can do ribs I will send you all to the game I will watch it on TV. To many drunk kids for this old man.

Jorge
05-26-2004, 12:04 PM
I could buy a lot of ribs if I sold the tickets......

Stucue74
05-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Might have to see about getting a smaller smoker to toss in the back of the truck for Texas/OU this October and tailgate at the Cotton Bowl. We could trade Q secrets before joining the blood feud for 3 hrs[/quote]

I'm all up for Q secrets and for the Red River Shootout. Of course, I guess you mean OU/Texas game, not Texas/OU. :)

I might try some Dr. Pepper marinade or something similar to what I've done on briskets. I swear though, blind folded yesterday it would have been a little difficult to tell between sliced short rib and brisket, all in less than half the time.

Stucue74
05-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah, season ticket holder buy I don't donate enough or haven't had season tickets long enough to get them outright from the university, always have to find people who aren't going which is impossible.

brdbbq
05-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, season ticket holder buy I don't donate enough or haven't had season tickets long enough to get them outright from the university, always have to find people who aren't going which is impossible.

You all keep buying htem tickets our Mayor is building a new house.

Jorge
05-26-2004, 04:10 PM
In Oak Cliff, right?

hornbri
05-26-2004, 08:53 PM
Might have to see about getting a smaller smoker to toss in the back of the truck for Texas/OU this October and tailgate at the Cotton Bowl. We could trade Q secrets before joining the blood feud for 3 hrs

Sounds likea good idea. I will be there. But I am not selling my tickets for meat ;)

brdbbq
05-27-2004, 07:20 AM
In Oak Cliff, right?

She claims but I think there is some $hit stirring going on about that ?