PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Grillin in the Gardens - Palm Beach Gardens, FL - May 7th and 8th

WhiskeyBentBBQ
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Alright guys, I heard this was a great event last year and we have never been before. Hopefully the weather stays out of the 90's and we all have a great time.

Who is in and Who is out?

Heavenly Hog
04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm sending in my registration tomorrow. I'll see you there.

Unknown BBQ Gen. Leroy
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Unknown BBQ will be there for sure. Cant wait to start the trip to the beach. Our Unknown Edition told me last nite to load it up its ready to start smokin again.
See ya there, Outlaw Gen. Leroy

Rub
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I'll be back to defend my title :boxing:

sfisch
04-19-2010, 06:52 PM
How close to Ft. Lauderdale is Palm Beach Gardens? will be there the May 1-8. Never been to a Fla comp before.

Scott

Heavenly Hog
04-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Palm Beach gardens is about an hour north of Lauderdale. Straight up I-95.

rksylves
04-20-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm there! Gonna see if I can garner my second walk!!

Russ
'Second Star BBQ'

sfisch
04-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Heck, thats not a bad drive, depending on how hectic things are packing to leave the next day, I'll try to drive up in the evening.

Scott

warfrat
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
last year was a good time, it was just hot as HELL! Unfortunately we won't be able to make it back down this year (I've got spring football). Good luck to all ya'll!

Team East Coast Lumber
04-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Of course Team ECL will be there, It's in our backyard. BTW if anybody has any questions about Palm Beach Gardens let me know. Don

WhiskeyBentBBQ
04-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Heavenly Hog - Good to see you staying fully committed to the move to the pro side of the field. Rumor is that Dan may be coming out to help you, I would just be very careful that he isn't "shigging" too many tips from you.

Unknown - Can't wait to drink some cold ones and tell some lies with you guys down there. Could this be the first competition where the organizer makes the dreadful mistake and puts Whiskey Bent and Unknown side by side. I am still trying to figure how you guys don't be the "quiet time stare down" at the cooks meetings.

Rub - Defending the title....that should be pretty old hat to you. I don't know many FBA comps that you haven't won at one point or another.

Scott - Hope you are able to work it into your trip down to Florida. Please feel free to come out and chat us up on Friday night. We would love to learn a little bit about that Yankee BBQ! :-P

Russ - Good luck on getting that second walk. It is amazing how after that first one there is no looking back!

Wooley - Good luck at Spring Football. Looks like we won't be catching up with you until Daytona. That should be one hell of a contest. That blue Thermapen is holding up strong. I think I may just have to buy you a new one. I don't want to hand this one back until I am drained all the luck from it.

East Coast Lumber - So, we are coming into your turf....I don't know that I like the sounds of that...:laugh:

Unknown BBQ Gen. Leroy
04-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Chad -As far as the stare down goes we dont get those because we get every thing ready early with moose musk :doh: fill the GF with ? flavored match lite and start quite time at about 10:15 w/homemade energy bars for a midnite snack and 2% milk. Unknown BBQ cant wait to join everyone at Palm Beach.

rksylves
04-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Hey Thanks!

I'll be getting the stitches out of my chin soon from hitting the ground so hard in Dothan. The weirdest part is that I was in the process of telling Tim Cochran (Flirtin' with Disaster) that my #1 goal for this year was to get a call at some point. Not even two minutes after I said that, I got called.

Guess I have to set a new goal. Maybe set it to earning $1 prize.

Russ

Heavenly Hog
04-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Heavenly Hog - Good to see you staying fully committed to the move to the pro side of the field. Rumor is that Dan may be coming out to help you, I would just be very careful that he isn't "shigging" too many tips from you.

Being so new to competing, it's intimidating entering pro. I think Palm Beach will be the deciding factor if we stay in the big leagues. Just one call and a better chicken score.

RubMeTender
04-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Being so new to competing, it's intimidating entering pro. I think Palm Beach will be the deciding factor if we stay in the big leagues. Just one call and a better chicken score.

We obviously dont belong. We just did Venice to get kicked square in the nuts.

Unknown BBQ Gen. Leroy
04-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Heavenly Hog and Rub me Tender intimidation is only a temporary mind set. Confidence is the key.

smokincracker
04-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Smokin' Cracker may just slide on over to Palm Beach and try to see how I stack up against all you new big dogs on the block. Who's gonna bring the beer? Winner of this one has to buy pizza. Rub did the honors last year and FK supplied the JDaniels.

The_Kapn
04-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey Thanks!

I'll be getting the stitches out of my chin soon from hitting the ground so hard in Dothan. The weirdest part is that I was in the process of telling Tim Cochran (Flirtin' with Disaster) that my #1 goal for this year was to get a call at some point. Not even two minutes after I said that, I got called.

Guess I have to set a new goal. Maybe set it to earning $1 prize.

Russ

The "CHIN THUNK" woke us up, for sure! :-D
You are hooked now--Welcome to the Dark Side.

We hate to miss Palm Beach Gardens this year.
It was good to us last year.

That was the event that gave Rub his 7th GC and auto to the Jack.
I will never forget him tipping backwards in the chair when he was called! :-D :-D :-D

Have fun y'all.

TIM

rksylves
04-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Really gonna miss seein' ya Tim! Hope you're gonna be at Foggy Bottom in Elba!

Russ

Team East Coast Lumber
04-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Since it's our "Home Turf" it's only right that I supply the beer and Jack. Just look for the trailer and the big white cooler. :cool:

Unknown BBQ Gen. Leroy
04-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Dorsey from Team Unknown will be providing the Coors Light and the Crown Royal Reserve.

WhiskeyBentBBQ
04-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Smokin' Cracker - Come on out and join us. I have no problem bankrolling some pizza and beer if we are lucky enough to make that big walk at the end of the day. We usually have a couple cases of cold ones left over. I think I can quit buying 6 cases for every comp. We are getting too old to knock all those out in 2 days. Hope you make it out!

East Coast - Have you lost your mind? Offering up beer and Jack to this group is just unreal. I am calling the organizer and getting parked next to you for sure.

Unknown - Crown Royal Reserve is a definite varsity play. Coors Light on the other hand, not so sure. Even tho, I have mowed down my share of them in the Unknown camp!

goodbuddiesbbq
04-23-2010, 08:46 PM
First of all I want to thank everybody for the flowers and fruit baskets for my cousins pink eye...you all are class acts. Secondly, Good Buddies will be there to win our first professional grand championship...pretty exciting stuff for us. This is our first comp since our backyard grand and now we are gonna win our first pro...exciting. However, for gambling odds...here are the early lines.

Whiskey Bent BBQ - 754 points or 1st place overall. :cool:
Swamp Boys BBQ - 752 points or 2nd place overall. :wink:
Unknown BBQ - 749 points or 3rd place overall. :mad2:
Big Papa Country Kitchen - 748 points or 4th place overall. :-o
Smokin Cracker - 742 points or 6th place overall. :tape:
Forest Fine Foods - 740 points or 7th overall. :confused:
Good Buddies BBQ - 735 points or 9th place overall. :pray:
Heavenly Hog - 724 points or 12th place overall. :tsk:
East Coast Lumber - 719 points or 14th place overall. :thumb:
Second Star BBQ - 704 points or 21st place overall. :rolleyes:

Any other teams that will be there that we know of?

In an exciting rematch of last week, Rub "gets a jump in chicken", but Whiskey Bent doesn't leave any rib points on the table. Again, my sleeper team to be the next team to win (that hasn't already) is Unknown.

Since the scores all over the place, I have added the points or overall "bailout" to better gauge the results. If you guys like this, I'll keep doing it...if you don't, go play in traffic with your eyes closed!

Sincerely,
Joel Vann
2009 FBA Backyard Team of the Year
2009 Las Vegas Times - BBQ Handicapper of the Year
2009 Pigfest Dessert Champion (Turned in Donut Man Apple Fritters)

Unknown BBQ Gen. Leroy
04-23-2010, 11:05 PM
GoodBuddies, Team Unknown is hoping to get its First GC. Just to make sure we celebrate the right way i will have the Crown Royal XR on hand.The Reserve will be for sippin Friday nite.
WhiskeyBent, We know you like the delicious frosty COORS Lite. Rumor has it you can fit a six pack in the Pit Boss Mug?
Those early lines GoodBuddies put up looks good but i think Unknown will be in the 750 range as well.
East Coast, I hope you guys got a big cooler especially if you get Whiskey Bent and Unknown for neighbors.
Good Luck to All, Leroy w/ Unknown BBQ

WhiskeyBentBBQ
04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I will tell you that Matt, I mean, Joel Vann from Good Buddies is quite the handicapper. I can't say I agree with him across that board especially with us taking grand but we will see what happens. It looks like Rub is tracking again and those Unknown Boys can get you at any time.

Lee - I think I can actually only get a 4 pack of Coors Light in the mug but I always make sure to fill it up before I leave the Unknown camp. :-P

Team East Coast Lumber
04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
GoodBuddies I like the Odds keep it going,
Chad, I know what I'm getting into but if you want to fit in with the Brethren you have to step up to the plate and I am willing to Sacrafice:loco::loco::loco::bow:

WhiskeyBentBBQ
05-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Alright guys, we are just a day out. Hope everyone is ready. Looks like it is going to be pretty damn hot. As long as those showers hold off on Saturday, it should be a great day to BBQ.

Safe travels to everyone and see you on Friday afternoon!

smokincracker
05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Alright guys, we are just a day out. Hope everyone is ready. Looks like it is going to be pretty damn hot. As long as those showers hold off on Saturday, it should be a great day to BBQ.

Safe travels to everyone and see you on Friday afternoon!

Bring on the rain, knocks out any stick burners in the fight.
See anyone whos anxious for a drink Thur night.

Cracker

Rub
05-05-2010, 09:41 PM
It's only hot if you don't have A/C :-P

I'll be getting in late and leaving early - daughter's dance recital Saturday night.
Nothin but business and a 'damn paycheck' this weekend :boxing:

smokincracker
05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
It's only hot if you don't have A/C :-P

I'll be getting in late and leaving early - daughter's dance recital Saturday night.
Nothin but business and a 'damn paycheck' this weekend :boxing:

still in the leg boot,,??

Rub
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Yep, I go back Friday AM. Hopefully I'll be done then.

Team East Coast Lumber
05-06-2010, 02:40 PM
FYI, the Jack and Crown will be in the green cooler under the RV overhang, Stop by and take a "Sample"

WhiskeyBentBBQ
05-06-2010, 03:45 PM
FYI, the Jack and Crown will be in the green cooler under the RV overhang, Stop by and take a "Sample"

Maybe meet at the RV overhang around 4:45 and have a "Good Luck" shot, I mean sample, before the cook's meeting? :-D That way it won't be so uncomfortable when Whiskey Bent gets reminded 3 times by the FBA officials about the quiet time hours.

Rub
05-06-2010, 06:29 PM
That was the event that gave Rub his 7th GC and auto to the Jack.
I will never forget him tipping backwards in the chair when he was called! :-D :-D :-D

Have fun y'all.

TIM
Lol, I will remember that the rest of my days :becky:

TECL, free beer? I'm there! :laugh:

Willie's BBQ
05-08-2010, 06:15 PM
impatiently awaiting results :mad: