PDA

View Full Version : My Chicken Sucks!

bmanMA
04-16-2010, 09:47 PM
First try at thighs; I usually just butterfly the thing and go with that. I tried a few different preps in this cook:

1) mix of bone in and boned
2) mix of fat-scraped skins and skins sat in baking powder + rub

All skins were removed, and then placed back on after treatment.

Smoking config:
I did not bust out the Parkay for this. Not sure what this would bring besides some non-chicken flavor. Smoked them at ~240 using Royal Oak hardwood briquettes.

Used a mix of 1 apple chunk and 2 small pecan chunks. I think I'll stick to apple in the future. I can get it for free from local farmers and I think it imparts the best flavor and does not compete with the flavor of the meat.

A few skins

Some nasty fat scrapings.

Entire right column are the baking powder+Rub only. They are thick.
On the left, the top 2 are simply skinned, and the bottom 2 are skinned + baking powder + rub.

90 degrees left rotation, after 45ish minutes skin side up.

After flipping and cooking for another hour. Skins pulling back. Meh.

My take aways:
1) The de-boned guys appear better fit for the total skin removal technique. The bone-in guys are just too big to deal with the shrinking skin. I may try keeping the bone-in skins attached on one side, scrape them, and toothpick the exposed side back on.
2) The simply scraped skins appear to be the best for bite through. The baking powder ones got somewhat crisp, but the thickness of the fat layer was a deal breaker. The hybrid skins (scraped + baking powder) were in between; thin but had unnecessary garbage on them.

bigabyte
04-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for sharing the results.:cool: I'd hit that.

BobBrisket
04-16-2010, 10:56 PM
^^^ What he said.

BRBBQ
04-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Lately I've been scrapping the fat off the skin, it's a pain but your pics show the nasty fat. I'd add sauce to pretty it up, kind of like make up on women:behindsofa:

landarc
04-16-2010, 11:25 PM
If you put toothpicks to hold the skin, it pulls away less. A little gentle stretching of the skin can help too.

And I would propose that we stop showing the fat scrapings in pron, as I like a chicken thigh, full fat from time to time and do not need a reminder of what that stuff looks like.

Paulmark
04-17-2010, 12:45 AM
If you put toothpicks to hold the skin, it pulls away less. A little gentle stretching of the skin can help too.

And I would propose that we stop showing the fat scrapings in pron, as I like a chicken thigh, full fat from time to time and do not need a reminder of what that stuff looks like.:laugh:
:laugh::laugh: Or like a girlfriend on her worst day.:redface:

fweck
04-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Fat & skin = flavor
my .02

bobsuosso
04-17-2010, 09:52 AM
They all look good to me, now I know what I'll be cookin' tomorrow.
looks like that cuttin' board needs a good oilin'

bmanMA
04-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I was thinking of just burning the damned thing. :mad2: