PDA

View Full Version : Place to buy Rubs in Atlanta

BluesDaddy
04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Anyone have a good local retailer in the Atlanta area for rubs, sauces and other things BBQ? Preferably midtown to the southside, but anywhere else is fine.

Thanks!

The BBQ QB
04-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Place to buy Rubs in Atlanta

Depends on wether you're looking for a happy ending or not:-D

Mike D (ducking)

Saiko
04-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Honestly the selection is pretty poor in Atlanta, I pretty much get all my rubs and sauces via mail order. You can usually find Bone Suckin' Sauce at Whole Foods, but beyond that I can't help you.
Many of our own Brethren sell versions of their rubs and sauces, and they are better than anything you'd find at a store in Atlanta. Check out the "Brethren Sales and Ventures" section of this forum:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Another good mail order source is the Kansas City BBQ Store, they pretty much have everything:
http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/kc2/

Maybe some other Atlanta area Brethren can chip in with local sources, but I pretty much get all my stuff via mail. Expensive to ship but I haven't found a good local source.

BluesDaddy
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Honestly the selection is pretty poor in Atlanta, I pretty much get all my rubs and sauces via mail order. You can usually find Bone Suckin' Sauce at Whole Foods, but beyond that I can't help you.
Many of our own Brethren sell versions of their rubs and sauces, and they are better than anything you'd find at a store in Atlanta. Check out the "Brethren Sales and Ventures" section of this forum:

Another good mail order source is the Kansas City BBQ Store, they pretty much have everything:
http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/kc2/

Maybe some other Atlanta area Brethren can chip in with local sources, but I pretty much get all my stuff via mail. Expensive to ship but I haven't found a good local source.

Thanks. This has been my experience but thought perhaps I simply didn't know the good places to buy. I am loathe to pay shipping charges, especially when there are so many good rub recipes out there that I haven't put together and tried yet.

The BBQ QB
04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Allright, seriously. Try Bass Pro Shop, PlowBoys is now available there, plus others. See if they carry something you're interested in if you must by hands on. Also Harry's Market has alot of unusual/hard to find Asian sauces and/or rubs.

On line hs been the best for me too.

Mike D

weconway
04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
It's on the northwest side in Marietta, but there is a decent selection of rubs and stuff at Casual Image. The proprietor knows his stuff.

http://www.casualimage.com/ (http://www.casualimage.com/)

William

Gowan
04-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Southern Pool and Patio in McDonough carries JOS, Dizzy Pig, Butt Rub, etc. Also a BGE dealer. I've been at Myron's when Faye was filling their order and they buy in pretty good quantity, so they are turning over their inventory often which means the spices you buy there should be fresh.

They are outside the Perimeter, but definitely southside.

http://www.southernpatioinc.com/grillingaccessories.html

Lake Dogs
04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Cheetah III

BluesDaddy
04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Southern Pool and Patio in McDonough carries JOS, Dizzy Pig, Butt Rub, etc. Also a BGE dealer. I've been at Myron's when Faye was filling their order and they buy in pretty good quantity, so they are turning over their inventory often which means the spices you buy there should be fresh.

They are outside the Perimeter, but definitely southside.

http://www.southernpatioinc.com/grillingaccessories.html

Perfect. I don't live far (in Atlanta terms) from where they are. Thanks a lot!! :clap2:

SteevieG
04-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Good to know about Southern Pool. In Loganville on Highway 78 there is a place called Crystal Clear Pools that had a pretty decent selection last time I was there (last summer).

BluesDaddy
04-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered some Plowboy's (both Yardbird and Bovine Bold) from Great Lakes. But am still interesting in finding a good local source to cut out the shipping costs (though Great Lakes is very reasonable).

Redheart
04-14-2010, 03:24 PM
You might also try Whole Foods (AKA Harry's) they seem to have quite a lot, but you aren't gonna find Plowboys etc.
Also Findley's Butcher shop on 41 in Acworth has some pretty good rubs he makes up. He is a multi-time Houston Livestock BBQ winner so he knows his stuff too!

Boat-n-BBQ
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I mostly order online, but you can get dizzy Pig and a few other brands at the
Workbench Ace Hardware stores. They carry BGE products too. I've only been to one so call first and see what they have before you make a trip.

4365 Roswell Rd, Atlanta - (404) 255-2411
1316 Dunwoody Village Parkway, Dunwoody - (770) 394-6938
2983 N Druid Hills Rd NE, Atlanta - (404) 325-8000

Nixon
04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
American Backyards in Alpharetta carries assorted Rubs and a few other brands. Their website is being updated, here's the contact info:

955 Point Dr, Alpharetta GA. 30022 770-754-5750

BluesDaddy
04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
You might also try Whole Foods (AKA Harry's) they seem to have quite a lot, but you aren't gonna find Plowboys etc.
Also Findley's Butcher shop on 41 in Acworth has some pretty good rubs he makes up. He is a multi-time Houston Livestock BBQ winner so he knows his stuff too!

I didn't realize Whole Foods had bought out Harry's. Time sure does fly. Last time I was in a Whole Foods I wasn't looking at rubs, etc., but next time I'll certainly give a look. Thanks!

Saiko
04-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered some Plowboy's (both Yardbird and Bovine Bold) from Great Lakes. But am still interesting in finding a good local source to cut out the shipping costs (though Great Lakes is very reasonable).

Can't go wrong there, that's exactly what I do. I buy the 5 lb. bags of Plowboy's Yardbird and Bovine Bold from Great Lakes. For sauce I buy the 1 gallon jugs of Blue's Hog plus some pints of the Blue's Hog red from Kansas City BBQ store. Paying shipping costs sucks, but I haven't found a local source for bulk Plowboy's or Blue's Hog yet. They are both my favorite.

tmcmaster
04-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I suggest www.SpicesInc.com (http://www.SpicesInc.com)

I use them pretty reigiously.

And, I have a deal with them to get friends a discount (PM me for details).

SirPorkaLot
04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
American Backyards in Alpharetta carries assorted Rubs and a few other brands. Their website is being updated, here's the contact info:

955 Point Dr, Alpharetta GA. 30022 770-754-5750

That must be the place that was Georgia Backyards next to best Buy.
I hope a management change went with the name change. :tsk:

drbbq
04-14-2010, 06:04 PM
The Big Green Egg store in Tucker has a nice selection.

ShutYrMouth
04-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Depends on wether you're looking for a happy ending or not:-D

Mike D (ducking)

nice one hahaha.

thull
04-15-2010, 09:19 AM
The Big Green Egg store in Tucker has a nice selection.

That was my thought too. The ACE suggestion is a good one, also. The ones that carry the eggs seem to have some rubs.

That said, if you're in ATL (i.e. within striking distance of DeKalb Farmer's Market) why on earth would you buy a rub? Go spend $10 on spices, pick up a 6-lb bag of Sugar in the Raw at Costco (or smaller at Publix for a bit more), and a box of kosher salt (let the Morton's vs Diamond Crystal debate begin), and get to mixing. There are plenty of books of recipes out there and online, too.

Even if you toss your spices at 6 mo.s and replace, you're still ahead of buying a pre-made rub that's been sitting for who knows how long.

Buddy from Tampa just stopped through and headed out with a box (wine case) full of spices to replenish. I bet the total at YDFM was $20.

BluesDaddy
04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
That was my thought too. The ACE suggestion is a good one, also. The ones that carry the eggs seem to have some rubs.

That said, if you're in ATL (i.e. within striking distance of DeKalb Farmer's Market) why on earth would you buy a rub? Go spend $10 on spices, pick up a 6-lb bag of Sugar in the Raw at Costco (or smaller at Publix for a bit more), and a box of kosher salt (let the Morton's vs Diamond Crystal debate begin), and get to mixing. There are plenty of books of recipes out there and online, too.

Even if you toss your spices at 6 mo.s and replace, you're still ahead of buying a pre-made rub that's been sitting for who knows how long.

Buddy from Tampa just stopped through and headed out with a box (wine case) full of spices to replenish. I bet the total at YDFM was $20.This is what I've generally been doing (though not going to the DeKalb Farmer's Market for the spices), is making my own with recipes off the net and from books. But with all the talk about award winning rubs, I thought I'd like to give some a try. The Farmer's Market is killer, but with work and all, it is hard for me to get there very often.

frayed knot
04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Ace Hardware in Dunwoody village has a pretty good selection. My parents just told me that BBQs Galore in Alpharetta recently re-opened. They have a pretty wide selection as well. But, I agree that for the money your best bet is to make your own...

thull
04-16-2010, 12:07 PM
This is what I've generally been doing (though not going to the DeKalb Farmer's Market for the spices), is making my own with recipes off the net and from books. But with all the talk about award winning rubs, I thought I'd like to give some a try. The Farmer's Market is killer, but with work and all, it is hard for me to get there very often.

I'm right there with you. If I'm lucky, I get there about once every 6-8 weeks.

Bacchus
04-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Many of our own Brethren sell versions of their rubs and sauces, and they are better than anything you'd find at a store in Atlanta.

Am I reading that correctly? Really ???

Saiko
04-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Am I reading that correctly? Really ???

By Brethren I mean members of our forum, there are lots of them that sell sauces and rubs. Most of them are on the Brethren Sales and Ventures section of the forum:

Bacchus
04-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I respect you for complimenting our brethren, but how do you know what all is available at every store in Atlanta? If I had to guess I would say that some of the brethren rubs you refer to are indeed available at Atlanta stores. There are probably hundreds even thousands of stores in the Atlanta area selling rubs from all over the country and beyond. You have tasted everyone of them?

SirPorkaLot
04-16-2010, 04:31 PM
I respect you for complimenting our brethren, but how do you know what all is available at every store in Atlanta? If I had to guess I would say that some of the brethren rubs you refer to are indeed available at Atlanta stores. there are probably hundreds even thousands of stores in the Atlanta area selling rubs from all over the country and beyond. You have tasted everyone of them?

Well that is the title of this thread "Place to buy rubs in Atlanta"
So if you have some suggestions, throw them out there.

I have yet to find a store locally (ATL area) that has a great selection of rubs, so I would be thrilled to hear about the "hundreds even thousands of stores in the Atlanta area selling rubs from all over the country and beyond"

So far in this thread I have read about ACE hardware stores, The Big Green Egg Store, Whole Foods (Harry's), Bass Pro Shop and American backyard.

Not only is this not hundreds (or thousands), I have been to everyone of these stores except for the Big Green Egg store in Tucker), and have been underwhelmed.

So right now I tend to agree with Saiko.

Bacchus
04-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Well every grocery store sells BBQ rub, not all of which are the mass produced type. So there is the thousand right there. There are multitudes of BBQ restaurants in the area that sell their rubs and sauces.
I didnt claim to have all the answers. But for someone to claim that a product(s) is better than anything available at any store in any given major metropolitan area is without merit. None of us know everything that is available out there.

Saiko
04-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Let's keep this on topic please. Mods have had itchy fingers lately and this will all just end up getting removed.