PDA

View Full Version : Big Party

ringo
05-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Our oldest kid is graduating and we are throwing a huge party. Gonna smoke a couple of briskets, some chicken, some sausage and whatever else I can fit in the machine. Any advice on doing big smokes is appreciated. I will give each of you $100.00 for any advice that you can give me (offer is dependant on me winning the lottery and is subject to change. Offer not good in states that start with a capital letter. Please write to the below address for complete rules and regulations.)

Thanks

Ringo

BigAl
05-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Hitting the happy juice early, I see!

Bill-Chicago
05-14-2004, 11:49 AM
intoxicated state.

Small i

Bill-Chicago
05-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Only advice I can give is to give yourself plenty of time. Lotta stuff packed in there will lengthen cook times.

Figure out how early you need to start, by subtracting normal cook time from when you plan on eating. Then subtract another 2 hours.

Have plenty of foil and cooler space available, then keep wrapping and tossing stuff into the cooler.

Ideally, you are pulling stuff out of the cooler after it rests rather than straight off the pit.

jt
05-14-2004, 12:30 PM
I just did something similar for my son's birthday. I did all the pork butts the day before. Took 16 hours from fire startup to kitchen cleanup. Then the next day I timed the chickens to be done right before it started. Heated the pulled pork up in an 18 qt roaster pan ($30 Wally World - add water/sauce to steam it so it won't burn!). All in all saved myself an all-nighter.

ringo
05-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Bill

I have heard mention of putting the meat in the coolers before eating. Are you talking a cooler with ice in it. What does the cooler treatment do?

Ringo

skolek
05-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Probably not with ice in it... ;) Just like in the south when they do crawfish, they dump 'em in a cooler to keep them warm/hot.

I usually put them in an oven at about 150-200 degrees to keep stuff warm, basically whatever the lowest temp is on the oven. I just hate messing up a cooler with BBQ smells! ;)

Thanks,
Scott

parrothead
05-14-2004, 06:48 PM
The cooler allows for a slow cool down period. Helps make the stuff fall apart just like the slow cooking.

ringo
05-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Great advice. Thanks

Ringo

chad
05-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Mess up? What? Any cooler would be PROUD to be sacrificed for 'que.

And the cooler is for keeping the meat HOT and letting it cool very slowly (several hours from 195 down to about 160 or so -- if you can wait that long.

One big advantage is that you don't heat up the house with an oven or other appliances. At least that's an issue here in Florida -- we've got high 80s already.

I have four coolers - one styro and one plastic Coleman that are used almost exclusively for 'que. Throw in some crumpled newspaper and/or an old towel or two and you're set.

The others are for drinks - maybe :D

Bill-Chicago
05-14-2004, 08:18 PM
My "cooler" has permanent Q smell (very good)

Get a good size cooler with good insulation.

Heat Q to desired temps
(190 ish brisket, 185 ish butts, 3-2-1 ribs, whatever)
Have then wrapped in foil
Throw in Cooler.

Cooler=misnomer.
Jumbo Shrimp. Thats a misnomer too.

I thought the same thing, why would you want to cool it?

Change definition of cooler in your mind to "insulated storage compartment"

Now when you "cooler" something at 190, keep the probe in it. You will see the "insulated storage compartment" will make it climb to 198, then slowly go down to 160 ish after an hour or two. Then you can, pull your pork, slice the brisket, cut the wibs, etc.

So cooler = slow warmer, or something like that.

Good luck Ringo

frognot
05-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks for more info re: cooler use. Got one that will get christened next week with some brisket. Would do it tomorrow but greedily/foolishly agreed to work tomorrow nite shift.

TedWagner
05-14-2004, 10:56 PM
I've hosted a few Que parties - and would be lost without my coolers. The best coolers get to become Quelers. I now keep 4 in my house...one for pre-cooked meat, one for drinks, one as my prime Queler and one for more drinks (and that I let my wife use).

Jorge
05-14-2004, 11:09 PM
The big thing for me doing a big cook is more about preperation than the actual cooking. The more I do ahead of time the more time I have the day of to deal with everything that always seems to come up.

RULE 1: HAVE FUN!

ringo
05-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks again for all the help. There will be beer and fire involved so it ought to be a good time.

Ringo