PDA

View Full Version : Using a Guru and water?

Mo-Dave
04-10-2010, 08:00 AM
I have noticed that when using my Guru Competitor with water in my Spicewine the Guru does not seem to act quit right but I don't notice anything odd when using the Maverick remote.

Anyone else experience this and does anyone have a solution other than not using water in the smoker to fix it?
Dave

Mo-Dave
04-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Ok I am just thinking out loud but what if I put the oven probe in something like a turkey oven bag, trimmed down and sealed. That should keep the moisture out and give me the ambient temp of the cooker or am I just wasting my time and a bag?
Dave

Solidkick
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Jay and I used Jeff's last weekend at Pleasant Hill.....cleaned the temp probe off and attached to the center of the middle of the 3rd shelf from the bottom (Jeff has 4 shelves)...I stuck another probe (Polder) through a potato and put on the 3rd shelf. Temps were within 3-5* and the door temp was right there too. We did not use the meat probe with the guru.

I think the trick is learning how it works with the spicewine and be willing to make adjustments. Though I liked the covinence of the guru minding the pit temp, I still monitored every 2 hours, and it was a good thing I did.

Mo-Dave
04-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I am guessing you had water in it, you did not say but thats about what I do only the last time I used water and it seemed to make the fan kick off and on erratically until I took the pan of water out and then it settled down. The Competitor is ok but I wish it had a digital readout, it would make it a lot easier to read.
Dave

Solidkick
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Yes, we had water in it....I didn't want to wake Jay up form his beauty sleep like what happened at the AR and cooking with it dry.....