PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Mesquite charcoal...??

T-Man
04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
I went to party a while back , they were grilling (some of it indirect) with some Mexican mesquite. This stuff burned slow like over 6 hrs. also it did not leave a strong mesquite taste . They were just given it and did not know jack about it...Anybody ever deal with it ??

KnucklHed BBQ
04-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Hmm, all I can say is that the Lazzari lump mesq charcoal that I use is made in mexico... I kinda dobt that they haul trees from the US to mexico to charcoalize them and then haul them back...

The lump does burn for a decent amount of time, but usually the chunks are log sized pieces about 5-6" diameter and 7-12" long.

It's really dense stuff even in charcoal form. Even whacking it with a hammer doesn't always break it into pieces the first time.

T-Man
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I should not have used the word "charcoal " . It was large sized lump , looked like it still had some moisture in it..

txschutte
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I have used some lump mesquite when I lived in TX. It was awesome for grilling, without the dark mesquite flavor. The one thing I recall though, was it popped and sparkled alot.

JediDog
04-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Over here in Socal, they sell the best of the west brand and it's pretty decent. It does sparkle a whole bunch and it's perfect for grilling.

Smokey Al Gold
04-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Being from south Texas I use actual mesquite splits and mesquite lump ALOT. It's great stuff and yes it does pop alot so I'd be careful on really hot dry summer days in grass. I buy it from mexican meat markets and its pretty consistant it burns clean and it's great for grilling. I haven't gotten a 6hr burn but minion I'm pretty sure you could. I use a Weber Kettle for most of my grilling. I should have posted pics of the marinated chicken legs I did tonight with mesquite lump from Culebra Meat Market.

bigabyte
04-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I've been getting Best of the West Mesquite Lump Charcoal at Sam's. It has very large dense pieces that burn very slow, and put off a very mild pleasant taste to the food. When using it in my WSM, when I refuel I toss on about 3 big chunks (logs really) and get an 8 hour burn from those 3 chunks at about 250 degrees.

spacingtool
04-08-2010, 11:39 PM
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b427/spacingtool/100_0077.jpg this is what I use . it crackles and pops a bit. I think it's the moisture in the lump charcoal:confused:

Midnight Smoke
04-09-2010, 12:28 AM
I have used Lazzari and like it.

Burn a lot of Mesquite logs in the fireplace and it naturally pops and sparks, need to keep any carpets away from the fireplace as it will send flying embers out a couple feet. .

dannypat21
04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Here in SoCal the mesquite lump from Mexico is what is most abundant. Does spark quite a bit and the pieces are very large, but leaves a nice flavor, not overpowering.