PDA

View Full Version : First cook on BGE

dglas
04-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Well I finally took the plunge and tried out the BGE. I found a simple recipe for a butterflieid chicken. Recipe came from someone named Cathy Loup and I want to thank her.

I had two problems with first cook. 1. I had a little trouble keeping the heat where it belonged but I think experience will solve this. 2. The chicken stuck fast to the grill giving me a challenge to turn the chicken to skin side down near the end of the cook. The skin burned and stuck fast to the grill. Most skin came off when chicken was removed. I suspect that I should have sprayed something on the grill prior to setting the bird on it.

The good news is that it was delicious which is testimony to the BGE for giving excellent results in spite of a rank beginner at the controls.

thillin
04-07-2010, 11:26 PM
You'll learn temp control after a few cooks. Add a little butter spray to the chicken next time. Cook a couple of times a week and you'll love it more and more.

Ty

Ross in Ventura
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Welcome to Egg Land, this is just the beginning of a wonderful way to cook. Enjoy your new Egg, you well find plenty post by people who cook with Big Green Eggs:cool:

Ross

Captain Dave
04-08-2010, 06:30 AM
I've been using a marinade and mop of evoo, vinegar, herbs, and spices. tastes good and no more sticking. For some reason it doesn't give it much of the vinegar taste. Best of luck with the egg.

pahutchens
04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Waiting till I can buy the parts I need to get my ancient egg running. Keep posting your learning curve

cardiac_cadet002
04-08-2010, 01:58 PM
as mentioned use a butter spray or rub EVOO on any meats you intend to grill. Keeps them from sticking and promotes a nice color and crisping of skin on chicken.

Zedsdead
04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Would spraying PAM on the grill be sufficient to stop sticking?

mosmoker
04-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I have good luck with spraying down the chicken with Pam Olive Oil and then putting a little rub on. Doesn't stick to the grate and crisps up nicely.